Time to take the MacBook in....again [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Time to take the MacBook in....again

EagleOne716
11-25-2008, 21:40
About a year ago I had to take my wife's MacBook into Apple for repair of the optical drive. The computer was not yet a year old so it was covered under Apple Care. Was not happy that it failed, but things happen.
Well, about 2 weeks ago she told me that her drive was not loading movies again. Very loud noise when a disk is inserted (just like last time) and the movies do not play.
We did not extend our Apple Care insurance so, I guess the wallet will take a $250+ hit on this one.
We take care of the computer and it has never been dropped. Really gives both of us a case of the butt...a lot of $$$ to spend on a computer that needs two drives in about 18 months.
We both love the Mac but, compared to my Intell based PC that just keeps chugging along...THIS SUCKS. :crying:
Thanks folks....
Eagle :cool:

lee2
11-25-2008, 21:56
But...Steve Jobs said the mac was the answer!:whistling:

grokdesigns
11-26-2008, 16:37
www.ifixit.com will sell you a replacement drive if you're comfortable replacing it yourself.

noway
11-26-2008, 17:45
get your wife some lessons, 2 times and same computer & same wife ?

Sounds like wifey has some CD disc issues ;)

My macbook will be 1year old Jan and it has no disc issues, same for the 3 Mac Mini scatter across my desktop. ;)

Big Al 24
11-26-2008, 19:15
Just say you're going to fix it and buy her a $500 pc and be done with it. I've already told my wife, "if you ever go mac, you're on your own."

Gamecock94
11-26-2008, 19:30
I bought my Macbook with my stimulus check and its been problem free

Big Al 24
11-26-2008, 20:12
I'm sure it has been problem free, but did it take the whole stimulus check?

DustyJacket
11-26-2008, 20:20
My wife's first laptop had that problem.

Then I found out she was leaving movie DVDs in the drive 24x7

Turns out the laptop kept the disk spinning thinking she wanted to play a movie, and the drive burned out. It isn't made to run 30 days at a time.

Gamecock94
11-28-2008, 16:09
I'm sure it has been problem free, but did it take the whole stimulus check?

No, because I bought a refurb. I spent the rest on a wireless router, external 500GB hard drive and few other goodies.

Big Al 24
11-29-2008, 16:24
Nice! That's the way to do it. My wife wanted one of the new mac book pros, until she saw the price. I just can't do it.

Gamecock94
11-29-2008, 18:34
Nice! That's the way to do it. My wife wanted one of the new mac book pros, until she saw the price. I just can't do it.

Mine is the entry level, white Macbook. The air pro, or whatever...the THIN one, was just way out of my budget. Plus this is my first Mac. I STILL don't know how to do a bunch of the crap I do on PC's. Plus I need to get windows or some other software so I can work in Excel, Word, etc. I'll be getting some software in the next month or so.

We were having our second son (now 4 months) and I had to give up my office to be the nursery. So the desktop had to go along with my desk, etc. So that is why I got the laptop and wireless. Its nice to be able to walk around the house with it. The only real pain is to print. I have to pull out my printer, hook it all up, etc. because I have to office or room. My house is pretty small...especially with 2 kids, the wife, 2 dogs and a fish!:supergrin:

Big Al 24
11-29-2008, 18:36
Mine is the entry level, white Macbook. The air pro, or whatever...the THIN one, was just way out of my budget. Plus this is my first Mac. I STILL don't know how to do a bunch of the crap I do on PC's. Plus I need to get windows or some other software so I can work in Excel, Word, etc. I'll be getting some software in the next month or so.

We were having our second son (now 4 months) and I had to give up my office to be the nursery. So the desktop had to go along with my desk, etc. So that is why I got the laptop and wireless. Its nice to be able to walk around the house with it. The only real pain is to print. I have to pull out my printer, hook it all up, etc. because I have to office or room. My house is pretty small...especially with 2 kids, the wife, 2 dogs and a fish!:supergrin:

Damn fish. Taking all of your printer room. :rofl:

Gamecock94
11-29-2008, 19:13
Damn fish. Taking all of your printer room. :rofl:

He's a "stray" fish we inherited from one of my mom's employees. He's one of those Siamese Fighting fish and his name is "Vodka". She got him in college in a Vodka bottle (kinda odd). He's like 3-4 years old at least! He's my 4-year old son's.

The Pontificator
11-29-2008, 19:35
I STILL don't know how to do a bunch of the crap I do on PC's. Plus I need to get windows or some other software so I can work in Excel, Word, etc. I'll be getting some software in the next month or so.

Instead of installing Windows why not just buy a copy of MS 2008 Office for Mac? The Home and Student Edition is now $109 at Newegg.com

I use it with no problems.

The Pontificator
11-29-2008, 19:47
OR...

Install Neo Office, the Mac Version of Open Office. It's freeware.

EagleOne716
11-30-2008, 12:19
Open Office now has a version for Mac.
I installed it on my wife's system. Seems to work well.