What's wrong with this photo? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with this photo?

hwyhobo
11-26-2008, 00:35
Here is a self-portrait, shot today. I am looking into a rear-view mirror.

So what is wrong (photographically) with this photo? ;)

In the rear-view mirror (http://www.pbase.com/image/106366937/original)

That's my puzzle for the day. :)

glockwontdie
11-26-2008, 00:37
the reflection in the eyes are backwords...can't really tell

hwyhobo
11-26-2008, 00:38
Interesting, but way too subtle. :)

glockwontdie
11-26-2008, 00:42
the mirror is freaking tall as hell?

hwyhobo
11-26-2008, 00:51
No, face was close to it. Most of the mirror to the sides was cut off in post-processing.

Something more obvious than that. :)

hwyhobo
11-26-2008, 15:18
I guess there are no takers... oh, well. One clue - in the real world one looks straight at the mirror and sees himself. Right? Right. That's what the picture shows. But is that possible in a photograph?

Rutha73
11-26-2008, 15:33
Are you saying that you are not looking at yourself in the mirror? because you have to look at the camera to get the POV of looking at yourself in the mirror?

hwyhobo
11-26-2008, 16:01
Are you saying that you are not looking at yourself in the mirror? because you have to look at the camera to get the POV of looking at yourself in the mirror?
So how is that possible? ;)

MrsKitty
11-26-2008, 17:45
Where's the dog? :supergrin:

You have no eyelashes! :sad:

I am trying to figure out how you focused on the mirror but didn't get the camera in the shot. I can't visualize the positions of the camera, you, the mirror and their relationships plus what's holding the camera since there is no room for a tripod and such. I know. I am thinking too much :rofl:

hwyhobo
11-26-2008, 18:33
Where's the dog?
I have a cat, so dogs are only in the pictures when I am far away from my home. Otherwise she can smell a rat^H^H^Hdog. :) Here is one of hers (http://www.pbase.com/hwyhobo/image/18937118).

You have no eyelashes! :sad:
I do, but (1) they are very light colored (I am a real blond ;) ) (2) they are notoriously leaning along the eyelid (and easily get underneath - not fun).

I am trying to figure out how you focused on the mirror but didn't get the camera in the shot.
Bingo! :cool: And don't forget the angle of sight - I am looking straight at the mirror, and straight at the camera at the same time.

This is a grossly simplified case of the Observer Effect (distant cousin of the Uncertainty Principle). One can look in the mirror and see oneself, but an attempt to record it would change reality.

So, the only way to represent it truthfully was to take multiple pictures and marry them together in postprocessing. So much for arguments that post distorts reality, huh? :)

Rutha73
11-26-2008, 22:32
Ahhh, I didn't even think about stiching shot in post. I was going to guess it was done with the camera off to one side but still very close and you were using angles like a bank shot in pool.

MrsKitty
11-27-2008, 12:24
Tabby cat! :hearts: I have a red tabby, an orange tabby and three little gray tabbies we hand-fed right now. All seven are rescues. We lost one a little while back, Enzo, who was a gray tabby much like yours. I love dogs but am allergic so I can't have one.

I was thinking of things getting in your eyes when I said that. I would not be able to tolerate my lashes folding in like that! Agony!

Still a neat shot. :wavey:

hwyhobo
11-27-2008, 12:52
Tabby cat! :hearts: I have a red tabby, an orange tabby and three little gray tabbies we hand-fed right now. All seven are rescues.
She is a tabby manx. She kept sneaking into my kitchen trying to steal some food, was tiny and thin at the time. One night I was waiting for her and closed the yard door behind her. I nursed her back to good shape, and she never left. That was 14 years ago. She is still doing well, even though she is not as strong and crazy as she once was. Tempest fugit, for all of us.

Batesmotel
11-27-2008, 21:07
Easy shot to do with a view camera but I don't know how to do it with a hand held.

hwyhobo
11-27-2008, 22:20
Easy shot to do with a view camera but I don't know how to do it with a hand held.
Pretty much the same idea, except masking is done later, on a computer.

MrsKitty
11-28-2008, 16:22
Masking. Something else I've got to learn. Will I ever learn it all? :rofl:

Hokie
11-28-2008, 18:23

There are T/S lenses for 35mm cameras that will let you do the same things, but the are a lot more expensive then normal lenses

hwyhobo
11-28-2008, 18:48
There are T/S lenses for 35mm cameras
I haven't even thought of perspective control lenses. That might work, too, but as Hokie said, for handheld cameras they are silly expensive. If I were into product photography (not to mention architecture), I would certainly have one on my short list of lens purchases.