Stable/safe long term memory storage?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Stable/safe long term memory storage??

larry_minn
11-27-2008, 18:45
My wife has had a digital camera for 6 yrs and I just got one. She has about filled her hard drive (on her laptop) with pics. She has copied some to CDRs (hope that is correct I call them all CDs) :)
Anyway she was talking about a external hard drive and we saw "Flash" drives are supposed to be on sale 8gb for $17. The external HD 500gb for $70. IIRC her camera is 5.1mp and mine is 6.0.
The "plan" is to pic the keepers and copy them/store the unit in safe/safety deposit box. My thinking is a HD has moving parts that can get stiff/break/etc where a flash drive (I think) does not have any moving parts?? and relays on any computer to download pics??

The guy at store said a 8gb flash would hold OVER 5000 pics??? Of 5mp. Is that correct?
So my (thought) is to buy two 8gb ($35) and load one with fav pics/stuff and put in safety depostit box (likely for yrs) and keep other around to save stuff and maybe upload to bank one yearly.

thanks

Bronson7
11-28-2008, 07:31
Larry, I'm a big proponent of thumbdrives, but I'm not sure if I would trust it for long term backup. Why not burn those pics to a DVD instead of a CD?
Bronson7

engineer151515
11-28-2008, 07:52
I've read gold DVD was the way to go but I haven't tried it out.

some examples

http://www.delkin.com/products/archivalgold/dvdr.html

http://www.prodataplus.com/category-s/974.htm?gclid=CKXHyICCmJcCFQa6sgodTEDNJA

http://www.mediasupply.com/mamgold.html

noway
11-28-2008, 08:52
With the cost of dvd/cd per meg being so cheap, you could burn these 2x and have the redundancy in storage. This should be a no brainer.

I could burn and have done it for over 500 pictures to CD and place duplicate copies in my 2 safes. I feel comfortable that as along as I have a CD/DVD reader I will have access to these items if I need it , 4 10 20 30 years or more.

d3athp3nguin
11-30-2008, 00:27
With technology, the most reliability = redundancy. I don't care how reliable that solid state drive or external claims to be; for important stuff you never keep all of your eggs in one basket.

I have toyed with the idea of getting a mini-sized flash stick and just leaving it in my desktop permanently, then setting up a backup script to transfer the stuff I care about. You can find guides or free programs for it online, depending on what OS you use.

Blitzer
11-30-2008, 02:02
A dual sided DVD will be safe for around 10 hears but will start to degrade/fade due to oxidation of the metal in the media layer of the disk. HARD DRIVES ONCE LOADED ARE STABLE BUT TOO WILL HAVE DATA FADE AFTER YEARS OF STORAGE. Flash drives are more prone to electrical damage and loss of data.

Look up info by Norton on the web.

WooleyBooger
11-30-2008, 05:51
My wife and I have a 500gb external drive that i keep a copy of the pics on, and two DVDs. Both DVDs go into their own case and into the safe. The hard drive also goes in the safe, but its the only thing we use to go back and get older pics.

Plus all the pics we leave on one laptop or another for editing and whatnot.

Big Al 24
12-01-2008, 00:38
I would ALWAYS burn anything critical onto disk. Never trust a flash drive or even an external to hold up. Burn it and give it to a friend or family member and keep a copy yourself.

mnorton
12-02-2008, 17:53
What about those off-site data storage places like Carbonite? I hear Rush pushing them all the time. He says it's secure, but I don't have anything to hide anyway.

sdsnet
12-02-2008, 18:11
For important data I would suggest using DVD's, double sided DVD's or Bluray disks as well as an external USB drive. Send the DVD's offsite and keep the external USB as a backup for your pc hard disk. Three places with one offsite is pretty darn safe. If you want more safety then add an off-site data paid service where they back theirs up at regular intervals. I have a script that runs when I boot both pc's that backs up the data directories of each system onto the other on our home network. Using the command line in a script you can make sure that you don't overwrite newer files etc. The DVD's ensure you have older versions backed up.

d3athp3nguin
12-03-2008, 00:54
My flash sticks have been pretty durable. One has survived two trips through the washing machine. All data was intact, with no filesystem corruption either time. Any medium can go bad though.

I am surprised that people here trust DVD-Rs that much. You can be redundant for cheaper with them, but don't forget that it's stored on a dyed medium that is more sensitive to light and heat. Do NOT skimp on the quality of your DVD-Rs, they are NOT all created equal. Pick a 1st tier manufacturer like Sony, who has tighter QC (a detailed guide on dvd quality found here (http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/index.htm).) A USB stick IMO is more rugged, and is ideal if you want to take more frequent backups.

Sooo... maybe both? Long-term snapshots to a DVD-R (store at room temp) and frequent backups to USB stick or external drive. I like USB sticks because they are solid-state: you won't ruin the thing by dropping or bumping it.

More food for thought- you can get a decent HP printer/scanner combo for $100 bucks. You can use the scanner to make archive copies of really important documents and store it off-site (you may want to encrypt it or password-protect it in an zip or rar file).

IndyGunFreak
12-03-2008, 06:21
As has been said, redundancy is best... I have 2 500gig External drives. One gets backed up every couple days, the other, about once a month. I figure the odds of them both croaking at the same time, is extremely unlikely... I still however, have 3 blank DVD's with a couple of things on them in the unlikely event this were to happen.

IGF

noway
12-03-2008, 10:00
A 8.5GIG DVD drive and a 12pk of disc is all you need. That's a lot of data backup storage and cheap.

Like stated before an electrical device ( flash stick included ) is not a wise choice.

mnorton
12-03-2008, 10:33
As has been said, redundancy is best... I have 2 500gig External drives. One gets backed up every couple days, the other, about once a month. I figure the odds of them both croaking at the same time, is extremely unlikely...

Do you keep one of the drives off-site? I'm always afraid of being burglarized or having a house fire thereby losing everything. I'm thinking about keeping an external HD backup in a bank safe deposit box or something.

IndyGunFreak
12-03-2008, 20:07
Do you keep one of the drives off-site? I'm always afraid of being burglarized or having a house fire thereby losing everything. I'm thinking about keeping an external HD backup in a bank safe deposit box or something.

No, I don't, but I've given it serious thought. The "backup"... is in my gun safe.. so I guess if I were to lose it, I'd be a lot more irritated over the guns that were stolen, than the drive.