Biggest buck in a long time [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Biggest buck in a long time

vafish
11-28-2008, 13:18
He's only an 8 pointer, but his rack is taller and wider than my previous biggest buck, a 12 pointer I shot probably 20 years ago.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n75/vafish/DSCN0940.jpg

Shot him about 7:30 this morning. Was hunting a small property with my son. It was shotgun with buckshot only (or archery or black powder). First deer I've shot with buckshot.

Had a doe come by first, followed by this guy, and then a 6 point. They came past my son first, but were about 70 yards out from him. He passed the shot on them. Pretty good decision for a 16 year old kid. They angled in towards me, the doe kept walking and this guy stopped about 50 yards out from me. I fired once, he bucked and started to run, fired a 2nd time and he flipped around and dropped (ended up one of the pellets broke his spine). He was still kicking around and I fired a third shot to anchor him. The 6 point was still running around so I stayed in my stand hoping he would go past my son. The 6 point wandered off without getting any closer.

About half an hour later the idiot neighbor let his 5 big dogs out. They were running all over the place barking and raising cane. I look over towards where my deer is down and he's trying to stand up. I climbed down out of the tree stand and put one more load of buck shot into his neck and he was finally down for good.

I just finished skinning him out. I can't figure out where the first blast hit him. Looks like 2nd blast hit him a little far back and high. From the 3rd blast I could find one hole in his ear and one that hit him in the back of the head and came out under his eye.

Like I said this is the first deer I've shot with buckshot, and probably will be the last for a long time, if I can use black powder in the same area I'll use my TC Thunderhawk instead.

CanyonMan
11-28-2008, 13:50
He's only an 8 pointer, but his rack is taller and wider than my previous biggest buck, a 12 pointer I shot probably 20 years ago.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n75/vafish/DSCN0940.jpg

Shot him about 7:30 this morning. Was hunting a small property with my son. It was shotgun with buckshot only (or archery or black powder). First deer I've shot with buckshot.

Had a doe come by first, followed by this guy, and then a 6 point. They came past my son first, but were about 70 yards out from him. He passed the shot on them. Pretty good decision for a 16 year old kid. They angled in towards me, the doe kept walking and this guy stopped about 50 yards out from me. I fired once, he bucked and started to run, fired a 2nd time and he flipped around and dropped (ended up one of the pellets broke his spine). He was still kicking around and I fired a third shot to anchor him. The 6 point was still running around so I stayed in my stand hoping he would go past my son. The 6 point wandered off without getting any closer.

About half an hour later the idiot neighbor let his 5 big dogs out. They were running all over the place barking and raising cane. I look over towards where my deer is down and he's trying to stand up. I climbed down out of the tree stand and put one more load of buck shot into his neck and he was finally down for good.

I just finished skinning him out. I can't figure out where the first blast hit him. Looks like 2nd blast hit him a little far back and high. From the 3rd blast I could find one hole in his ear and one that hit him in the back of the head and came out under his eye.

Like I said this is the first deer I've shot with buckshot, and probably will be the last for a long time, if I can use black powder in the same area I'll use my TC Thunderhawk instead.

Congrats Bud !

In all these years, I have never shot one with buck shot. Good job. Very nice, very nice, looking buck! Congrats again ! ;)

CanyonMan

noway
11-28-2008, 16:35
Nice job and story, and I know the feeling when you take a nice "head rack" set. ;)

Natty
12-03-2008, 22:49
Congrats on the nice buck.

bamarammin87
12-04-2008, 08:01
:thumbsup: awesome buck!

alwaysshootin
12-04-2008, 11:08
Congratulations, and good job! Buckshot. whoda thunk it! I imagine your range is rather limited. Here in Ohio buckshot is only used for HD, no hunting application whatsoever.

Porkchop
12-06-2008, 00:38
nice buck.he will look nice on the wall

GeorgiaGlockMan
12-15-2008, 17:20
Real nice buck.

I'd shoot him where I hunt any day.

Congrats!