So I bought a new notebook. Is it a good one? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : So I bought a new notebook. Is it a good one?

NateHodge
11-28-2008, 16:04
http://www.shopping.hp.com/store/product/product_detail/FR919UA%2523ABA

http://www.officedepot.com/catalog/txtSearchDD.do?jopa=bf0wVYFj4B31U6uLWWMPl-2&norefinement=true&searchTxt=0978735

After giving myself an aneurism trying to find parts to fix my old Dell, I said "to heck with it" and bought this little jewel. It's kind of small, which I like. I haven't opened it yet because I am contemplating taking it back(I'm a tight wad and hate spending money!). So, for the tech savvy guys, is it a decent buy? Give me your thoughts.

kalashluvr
11-28-2008, 16:14
Looks like it's worth the cheese to me. Has plenty of ram, a good processor, DVD player. I'd keep it if I were you.

Deanster
11-28-2008, 23:27
not bad, but a little pricy.

The Dell 1525 is a very similar laptop (slightly larger screen, tad heavier), and from their Outlet, it's $500-600 with similar specs.

I'm not a giant fan of HP's - all their consumer stuff is from the old Compaq division, and they've just never had great build quality. A colleague has a 17" HP laptop that's a year old, and she goes around with three or four keys off the keyboard, as they won't stay on... I know that's just one example, but I've seen several that haven't held up so well.

Dells are cheap, but solid. Lenovo makes rocking laptops, but you pay for it.

Nice size on yours, though - 14" is a very nice intermediate screen - bigger than the 13's but enough smaller than a 15 to make it easy to carry.

Here's a current example from the outlet - it's actually a little pricy for them - I think they've got outlet prices jacked up a bit for the holidays....

nspiron 1525
(System Identifier: EJBF7C19)

Inspiron 1525 Laptop: Intel Core 2 Duo T5750 (2.00GHz/667Mhz FSB/2MB cache)
Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium
System Price : $559.00

Operating System
Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium

Memory
3 GB DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz (2 DIMMs)

Hard Disk Drive
250 GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)

Video
Intel Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator X3100

Modem
56K DataFax Modem

Web Camera
Integrated 2.0 Mega Pixel Web Camera

Network Interface Card
Dell 1395 802.11G Wireless Mini Card

Software Upgrade
Microsoft Works 9.0

Base
Inspiron 1525 Laptop: Intel Core 2 Duo T5750 (2.00GHz/667Mhz FSB/2MB cache)

Hardware Upgrade
Earbuds For A/V Communications Pack
6 Cell Primary Battery
Certified Refurbished

Laptop Screen
15.4 WXGA Laptop Screen Display with TrueLife

Media Bay
8X DVD +/- RW w/dbl layer write capability

System Color
Jet Black

DoubleWide
11-29-2008, 11:33
It's a good price for that particular model compared to other stores.

Check out the Dell Studio 15. Same setup except for the size - $679+shipping. Expires Nov. 30th.

glockophilic
11-29-2008, 16:15
Its funny about the keyboard thing... If you look back at my history you will see I made a post about having a dell which the keys fell off. Dells have been junk for the two I owned. Got an acer now.

andybob
12-14-2008, 06:20
Just a little helpful info...Usually you ask before you buy...

YMMV

IndyGunFreak
12-14-2008, 07:42
Its funny about the keyboard thing... If you look back at my history you will see I made a post about having a dell which the keys fell off. Dells have been junk for the two I owned. Got an acer now.

Keyboards go on Acer's to... I replaced mine about 3-4mo ago on a two year old laptop. Not sure about your model, but for me, it was a pretty simple fix, and I got the keyboard on Ebay NIB, for $20 bucks including shipping.

IGF