Where to start with a retriever? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Where to start with a retriever?

bamarammin87
12-01-2008, 08:09
Anybody have any links on where to start training a retriever? I have a 5 month old lab and want to duck hunt with him. I've already got him trained with sit and long sit and come, and the basic obedience. Now I need to know where to start on hunting. He's CRAZY about retrieving, he'l retriever until I get too tired to throw, and he loves doin it. I was thinking maybe start him with doves next dove season before duck season. Anyways, i'm looking for a nice website to find how to train from the beginning. Thanks guys.

Ian

PS: he isn't going to be a full time gun dog, so I'm not worried bout field trials and the like, he's a family dog. It will just be casual duck hunting. I'm learning duck hunting along with him too.

this is him about 3.5 months old
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j217/johnnyrebel87/bo.jpg

bamarammin87
12-01-2008, 08:14
I would be happy if he'll just sit with me while hunting, and after I kill a few ducks, he'll go retrieve em and bring em back on command. He's already gun trained, all the way up to a 12 gauge going off over him doesn't bother him at all, in fact he's just curious as to what I'm shooting.

CanyonMan
12-01-2008, 15:32
I don't have any web info for ya, but you might get the book by: Richard A. Wolters, called.. "Water Dog." It is real good.

This lab of mine will do everything but cook breakfast ! :cool: :supergrin:

Nice lookin pup you got there. Just keep doing common sense training with him, get him used to guns, and trucks and water, and let him be a pup. Make it all real exciting, and reward him big time for the good things. The mess ups..... Do over again, with encouragement. Shoot, I never even finished the book ! ;)

Good lookin Pup
Good luck with him Hoss
Good hunting

CanyonMan

bamarammin87
12-01-2008, 19:44
Thanks. That's a good lookin dog ya got there. I just got mine a bumper and I've been hiding it thru the house and letting him go and find it. He's doin pretty good. Labs rock.:supergrin::dog:

bamarammin87
12-01-2008, 19:55
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j217/johnnyrebel87/100_0509.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j217/johnnyrebel87/100_0506.jpg

CanyonMan
12-01-2008, 21:50
Stay with him man... Don't push him, but don't neglect training time either. He needs both play time, and training time, but don't confuse him between the two. Really try and find that book I suggested to you, it is excellent....

He is one good looking pup ! :thumbsup:

CM

noway
12-01-2008, 21:58
i don't know if this helps, but after you got him gun train you need to get him water trained.

I used to take my lab to the pond and throw the pastic ducky thing into water. He would run and swim and retrieve and get a good pat and congrats. My lab would do this for hours if I would let him.

He rellay impressed when he climb into the jon boat on a duck-toy retrieval job and he barked at a shoreline of Moorhens and Ducks on my way back in ;)

duncan
12-09-2008, 02:06
get him used to hearing gun shots.

Take him near a trap range and get him closer and closer to the sound.

My friend's aussie shepard pup did well with the 12 gauges going off but he hated my 44 mag Redhawk.

And lots of water retrieves and praises.

bamarammin87
12-09-2008, 06:16
get him used to hearing gun shots.

Take him near a trap range and get him closer and closer to the sound.

My friend's aussie shepard pup did well with the 12 gauges going off but he hated my 44 mag Redhawk.

And lots of water retrieves and praises.

Thanks. He's not gun shy, I've got him trained on that. Shot pistols and 12 gauges both by him.

CanyonMan
12-10-2008, 21:55
Thanks. He's not gun shy, I've got him trained on that. Shot pistols and 12 gauges both by him.

Funny story right quick.... My dumb brother and his dumber dog, (which he "thought" he had gun broke), went out behind the main ranch house down the canyon to the tank, (pond, if your not a Texan), anyway, it is all cactus and mesquite and real thick.

He had his old faithful dog by his side, just waitin on the ducks to show up. Well sir, here they came swoopin down right toward the muzzle....

BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, .... He turned to say.... "Go get em boy." The dog was already gone ! Problem was, all he could see was the butt end of him running through the cactus and mesquite, at a very rapid pace ! :rofl:

The dog didn't show up 3 whole days ! Man he was wore plumb out on top of that ! :rofl:

I ain't got a point here. Just thought it was funny as heck !

Better read that "Water Dog book." ;)

Good luck to ya and the pup...

CanyonMan

bamarammin87
12-11-2008, 08:03
Funny story right quick.... My dumb brother and his dumber dog, (which he "thought" he had gun broke), went out behind the main ranch house down the canyon to the tank, (pond, if your not a Texan), anyway, it is all cactus and mesquite and real thick.

He had his old faithful dog by his side, just waitin on the ducks to show up. Well sir, here they came swoopin down right toward the muzzle....

BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, .... He turned to say.... "Go get em boy." The dog was already gone ! Problem was, all he could see was the butt end of him running through the cactus and mesquite, at a very rapid pace ! :rofl:

The dog didn't show up 3 whole days ! Man he was wore plumb out on top of that ! :rofl:

I ain't got a point here. Just thought it was funny as heck !

Better read that "Water Dog book." ;)

Good luck to ya and the pup...

CanyonMan

:rofl: that's pretty funny. I'll check that book out. I've heard from other places also that it's a great book. Thanks man.

txgolfer45
12-24-2008, 06:53
Get the book "Ten Minute Retriever" by James Dahl. Also, consider joining a retriever club in your area.