Learn me about switches. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Learn me about switches.

havensal
12-01-2008, 12:43
My knowledge of hubs and switches is limited. I have a 3Com 24 port Baseline switch that I think is on it's last leg. I am looking for a replacement. The model I have has been discontinued. From what I can tell I have a very basic, unmanaged switch.

How hard/time consuming would it be to go with something like THIS (http://www.3com.com/products/en_US/detail.jsp?tab=features&pathtype=purchase&sku=3CR17661-91)?

What other brands would you recommend? Cheaper is always better, but I want something reliable. Should I stick with an unmanaged, or bite the bullet and manage the darned thing? :dunno:

slick64
12-01-2008, 14:43
My knowledge of hubs and switches is limited. I have a 3Com 24 port Baseline switch that I think is on it's last leg. I am looking for a replacement. The model I have has been discontinued. From what I can tell I have a very basic, unmanaged switch.

How hard/time consuming would it be to go with something like THIS (http://www.3com.com/products/en_US/detail.jsp?tab=features&pathtype=purchase&sku=3CR17661-91)?

What other brands would you recommend? Cheaper is always better, but I want something reliable. Should I stick with an unmanaged, or bite the bullet and manage the darned thing? :dunno:

First thing you need to specify what you'll be using it for? Small office or home? How many devices? Do they need to communicate with each other directly? (Managed or unmanaged question)

noway
12-01-2008, 15:00
Sounds like you need a plain jane vanilla switch. I reccommend a 3com or baystack. Now if you need specialize features, than try a cisco.

I have a 3com 24 10/100 that I would give away if you want it. It's free just pay for shipping.

havensal
12-01-2008, 19:24
First thing you need to specify what you'll be using it for? Small office or home? How many devices? Do they need to communicate with each other directly? (Managed or unmanaged question)

Small office. No need for intercommunication. We have a very basic network with one server and a couple dozen PC's. I can't think of any reason for a managed switch. :dunno:

Sounds like you need a plain jane vanilla switch. I reccommend a 3com or baystack. Now if you need specialize features, than try a cisco.

I have a 3com 24 10/100 that I would give away if you want it. It's free just pay for shipping.

Thanks for the offer. I'll PM you if I can use it. :wavey: