No Memory From Bestbuy!!! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : No Memory From Bestbuy!!!

Big Al 24
12-01-2008, 19:52
I have often been surprised at the poor selection and prices that Best Buy has on memory... It has been debated before, so here's some evidence for you to chew on... I was giving them kudos for finally carrying corsair, but there are many good brands that are not represented there...
Gskill, OCZ, Buffalo, Patriot, Geil, and maybe Mushkin...

Best Buy... $249 on sale @ $149 Wow Big Savings!!!
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8669693&type=product&id=1196470792007

Newegg... $72 on sale @ $52
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145043

I don't know about you guys, but I think that that price difference is INSANE!!! And it is typical of Best Buy's memory selection which is PATHETIC!!! I'd also invite you to compare other modules that Best Buy has with the online stores and you'll get similar results.
Go to the Egg, Fry's, TigerDirect, or ZipZoomFly
The only electronic things I buy at Best Buy are large ticket items that I can bring back in to return because it is only a block away... and dvd's.

Sgt. Schultz
12-01-2008, 21:03
The only thing I buy from Best Buy, or any local electronics store are DVD blanks ... and only when they are on sale.

IndyGunFreak
12-01-2008, 21:26
I have often been surprised at the poor selection and prices that Best Buy has on memory... It has been debated before, so here's some evidence for you to chew on... I was giving them kudos for finally carrying corsair, but there are many good brands that are not represented there...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8669693&type=product&id=1196470792007

I don't know about you guys, but I think that that price difference is INSANE!!! And it is typical of Best Buy's memory selection which is PATHETIC!!! I'd also invite you to compare other modules that Best Buy has with the online stores and you'll get similar results.
The only electronic things I buy at Best Buy are large ticket items that I can bring back in to return because it is only a block away... and dvd's.

Wow, I don't think I've ever paid that much at Best Buy.. no doubt I'd be going online if that were the case... in the past, I've *generally* found the prices at Best Buy to be competitive w/ TD and Newegg.. Usually a little more, but not that much more.

Thanks for the info..

IGF

Big Al 24
12-01-2008, 23:43
Unfortunately for them, the Best Buy website is usually correct because I use it before I bother driving over there. And the tool that lets you check where it's in stock works well too because it tells me which one I have to drive to. And Indy, since you like Kingston memory check this out...

Best buy will hook you up with a 512mb stick of DDR2 PC 3000 for 114.99 during their cyber mon/tues holiday sale....
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=5404617&type=product&id=1051384731354

And Newegg will allow you to purchase a 1gb stick of DDR2 PC 3200 for 30.99 cents with no deals or special offers...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104013

It's shameful. I have found a new cause to preach about. Hear ye, here yee, I have been called before you to tell you that Best Buy price gouges a product with a fluctuating and currently insanely low price. No matter what brand you choose, always check the egg first.

Sgt. Schultz
12-02-2008, 07:49
And the tool that lets you check where it's in stock works well too because it tells me which one I have to drive to. Better yet why not buy it on line and then pick it up at the store? If I see a great deal I will buy it on line and select in store pickup, usually I receive an e-mail within the hour notifying me that itís ready. Then I have 7 days to pick it up so I donít have to worry about it being ďout of stockĒ before I get there.

Detectorist
12-02-2008, 15:51
You can't compare mail order prices with brick and mortar stores. It's apples and oranges. It would be more realistic to compare BB with other retail stores in your area. That being said, BB probably makes most of its money on the small stuff like cables and memory.

Big Al 24
12-02-2008, 18:44
$97 added onto a $52 dollar part has nothing to do with comparing online and brick and mortar stores especially since Best Buy also sells online and they are a large chain.
And the reason I don't buy online from Best Buy and just pick it up is that it is only a few blocks away and another is only a 5 minute drive away. I've also had "in stock" mean an opened box with a banged up product inside which was the case the last time I went to check out a monitor that I wanted to buy.

srhoades
12-02-2008, 20:10
I get my RAM from kahlon.com
Super cheap and free shipping.

Detectorist
12-02-2008, 21:22
$97 added onto a $52 dollar part has nothing to do with comparing online and brick and mortar stores especially since Best Buy also sells online and they are a large chain.
And the reason I don't buy online from Best Buy and just pick it up is that it is only a few blocks away and another is only a 5 minute drive away. I've also had "in stock" mean an opened box with a banged up product inside which was the case the last time I went to check out a monitor that I wanted to buy.

You're also comparing two different memory modules. Different speeds..

srhoades
12-02-2008, 22:39
You can't compare mail order prices with brick and mortar stores. It's apples and oranges. It would be more realistic to compare BB with other retail stores in your area. That being said, BB probably makes most of its money on the small stuff like cables and memory.

Ok, compared to Fry's BB is 2-3X more.

Big Al 24
12-03-2008, 02:15
You're also comparing two different memory modules. Different speeds..

You need to re-read the post. The two modules I first compared are exactly the same ones. The second are not, but can you remind us why you pointed that out? It just further proves my point. A newer, faster, double sized memory module is less than a third of the price of the older slower one. In the future you should restrict you eager posting finger from allowing you to try and get the last word when you're WRONG.

silentpoet
12-03-2008, 05:19
Did Cheaper Than Dirt buy them out with all the money they are making from overpriced ammo.

glocknia
12-05-2008, 11:35

That same memory at Newegg is now $45 with a $30 rebate and free shipping for a final cost of $15! There hasn't been a better time to upgrade your memory if you need it.

I've always noticed Best Buy's memory pricing has been way out of touch with reality. Their price will always be higher than Newegg's since they have additional business costs over Newegg, but not as much as we're seeing here. I'm half tempted to walk into my Best Buy and show them the same product can be bought for 10% of their price!

RaiderRodney
12-05-2008, 12:15
I still like to go into BestBuy and wander over to the hdmi cables so they can tell me I need a $100 cable so my HDTV will be optimized.....I then tell them they are full of **** and say that's why I shop at monoprice :P

BestBuy is ok sometimes for a movie or if it's an emergency....otherwise I really don't buy much of anything there due it being so over-priced. You can do the same comparisons with graphics cards, hard drives, cases, power supplies, etc., etc., etc.