Need a new laptop - CAN'T stand Vista - HELP! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Need a new laptop - CAN'T stand Vista - HELP!

Big Dog Dad
12-02-2008, 10:23
I'm in the market for a laptop, but I cannot tolerate Vista. I would like to buy something and just wipe the hard drive clean and reinstall XP. Some folks are telling me that this is something that can't be done on some laptops if the company doesn't have or support the drivers(?) for XP. Could someone explain to me what I need to look for or make some recommendation on what to buy so this can be done. Thanks in advance!

-=BDD=-

IndyGunFreak
12-02-2008, 10:37
I'm in the market for a laptop, but I cannot tolerate Vista. I would like to buy something and just wipe the hard drive clean and reinstall XP. Some folks are telling me that this is something that can't be done on some laptops if the company doesn't have or support the drivers(?) for XP. Could someone explain to me what I need to look for or make some recommendation on what to buy so this can be done. Thanks in advance!

-=BDD=-

Some folks are being foolish.. Almost any laptiop out there, if you google the Make/Model #, you'll find XP drivers for that laptop (I found the drivers for my Acer 5315-2153 in about 5sec). Why, because most of the manufacturers know Vista sucks. Some of them are even putting the XP drivers on their support page. You'll then have to save the XP drivers to some external source, install XP, then install the drivers.

IGF

Blitzer
12-02-2008, 11:40
MAC book Pro

Sgt. Schultz
12-02-2008, 14:29
The key word in IGF’s post is “almost” … you may have a hard time finding XP drivers for computers built specifically for Vista, especially laptops. I have installed XP on several computers that came with Vista and I had a hell of a time finding some drivers, specifically audio and video and the computer manufactures will NOT help.

Do as IGF suggested, get the model number of the laptop you intend to buy and search for all the drivers before you buy it. Also after you buy the computer, the first thing you should do is to create the restore DVD’s that way if you can’t install XP or have problems you can restore the computer to its original configuration and return it.

Detectorist
12-02-2008, 14:44
You can customize VISTA to practically look and act like XP.

IndyGunFreak
12-02-2008, 15:26

I don't think his issue w/ Vista is cosmetics...

Sgt. Shultz...

I've saw a lot of folks in various Linux forums, etc, who've gotten XP drivers for their laptops.. I'm sure some are hard to find, but most seem reasonably easy.

IGF

havensal
12-02-2008, 17:39
I have had no issues with vista. :dunno:

If you need, you can still order Dell's with XP.

http://www.dell.com/business/laptops?~ck=mn

It's an extra $99.

Big Al 24
12-02-2008, 18:00
What is the reason you don't like Vista? I always see people complaining about it, and usually the reason ends up being that everybody says that it sucks. You can always use Vlite to rip out things you don't like about it. I'm not defending Vista -I'm just curious.

Patrick Graham
12-04-2008, 09:39

Agreed.

Once you strip all the glitz off Vista its actually faster than XP.

The problem is that most people don't know how to do that.

Big Dog Dad
12-04-2008, 10:58
OK Patrick Graham - Could you give a quick synopsis of how to actually make Vista anything but a MS MISTAKE!

-=BDD=-

NAS T MAG
12-04-2008, 12:46
I recently bought my wife a new Dell laptop with both XP & Vista installed. All of our computers (4) use XP, but she now has a future option to convert to Vista.

I was just try to help a friend (over the phone) with a problem he had on a computer running Vista. I have XP and we couldn't get to the same viewing pages because of the changes.

I'll stay with XP for as long as I can.

Patrick Graham
12-04-2008, 15:30
OK Patrick Graham - Could you give a quick synopsis of how to actually make Vista anything but a MS MISTAKE!

-=BDD=-

??????

There is no "quick" coming up to speed on Vista.

The only way for it to happen is to learn by doing it.

Google "optimizing Vista".

Detectorist
12-04-2008, 16:07
I don't think his issue w/ Vista is cosmetics...

IGF

How do you know that?

I recommend folks just dual boot their machine and be done with it. That's what I did with my Dell. Actually, I've got 4 operating systems on it.

IndyGunFreak
12-04-2008, 16:34
How do you know that?

I recommend folks just dual boot their machine and be done with it. That's what I did with my Dell. Actually, I've got 4 operating systems on it.

Like I said, I'm just guessing, but judging from the statement below, I'm doubting the issues he has w/ Vista is cosmetic..

I'm in the market for a laptop, but I cannot tolerate Vista

Big Al 24
12-04-2008, 17:45

-=BDD=-

Download Vlite- take out what you don't like about it. Vista's main issue is that it was released too early. Windows 7 is going to be very similar to Vista. Vista has a huge hardware appetite that not many computers can handle yet. Whenever I read posts from people that like it, they are almost always using the x64 version, almost always have 4-8 gigs of ram, and a newer processor/motherboard combo. Most of them have already disabled UAC and other services.

duncan
12-09-2008, 02:10
What about running Ubuntu (Linux).

Can have ait dual boot too to have XP for some users and Ubuntu on other partition.

IndyGunFreak
12-09-2008, 02:35
What about running Ubuntu (Linux).

Can have ait dual boot too to have XP for some users and Ubuntu on other partition.

That could definitely work, depending on the hardware. Some laptops can be difficult, especially some of the wireless and graphics chipsets.

It would be worth looking into in my opinion.

andybob
12-14-2008, 05:14
If you can get a hand of XP Pro it is worth the money. I had to wipe my hard drive and when it was time to lead a new OS I went with XP Pro and it is a lot more stable.

I also have Ubuntu Hardy and like it, but for the life of me I could never get the Wireless card working, so I gave up on it. I would still use it if the Wireless card worked.

I have been on forums and everything...