Selecting Glock for wife, teenage daughter [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Selecting Glock for wife, teenage daughter

08-13-2002, 20:14
Could someone comment on the wisdom of a Glock 26 for my wife and teenage daughter for self defense? Neither of them have been involved with firearms. Someone said that subcompacts take more to get used to. Any counsel you could give would be appreciated. :)

Gary F
08-14-2002, 01:12
Only your wife can determine the wisdom of any gun purchase, ownership -- comfort level FOR HER USE!!
the glock 26 is an awesome gun ... and many women seem to gravitate towards it for their first "semi-auto" purchase! Personally ... i don't think the gl 26 would be any harder to get used to than any other (larger 9 milimeter semi-autp pistol)
peace, gary

Sterling
08-14-2002, 10:35
Some friends of mine and I took a friend and his girl-friend out to the range because the girlfriend was thinking of getting a CHL and pistol for herself. The girlfriend is a relatively petite woman (prolly around 5'4" and slender) with small hands. The girlfriend had never really shot before. We helped the girlfriend try a G17, G19 and G26 (a 9mm hat-trick! :) ), a kel-tec p32 and a .22 target pistol. The girlfriend's comments:
G17, G19 - too big, didn't like the recoil
G26 - liked the fit and said it felt like it had less recoil than the G17 and G19
p32 - too small (couldn't get her hands to fit right) and too long of a trigger pull
.22 - enjoyed it

I know other women that don't like the G26 (too small) and love the G17.

Basically, suggest you take them both out to a range and let them try different guns to see what they like the most (heck, they may fall in love with an H&K full-size .45 :) ) and what feels/fits best for them. Besdies, when have you ever had problems convincing your wife and daughter to go SHOPPING?! :)

Then get them some training on how to USE the thing in self-defense (especially since they have no background in firearms). Case in point, there was a show on Discovery or TLC about a woman who grabed her husband's pistol from the night stand to shoot an intruder who was about to rape her. She pulled the trigger and nothing happened (she stated that she didn't know she had to pull the hammer back first, but it could have been that she didn't know to turn off the safety first). Her attacker's pistol did work and she got shot in the face (but survived). Second example, one of those "caught on tape" shows had a store clerk pull out a pistol to shoot an armed burglar, the store clerk forgot to turn off the safety before pulling the trigger and ended up getting shot.

locnload
08-15-2002, 06:46
I strongly second the notion that you take your wife and daughter to the range with as many options as possible for them to try. Let them make their own choice. Men, a word of advice, never try to "select" something like this for a woman. I "selected" a yellow station wagon for my wife in 1978, and still have not heard the end of it.:)

Gary F
08-15-2002, 20:01
hmmm .....;P ;L .... you have a few more years of uuuhhhh "reminders" due you! lolol
;f peace, gary

GLOCKinTN
08-15-2002, 20:18
My best suggestion since they have not spent time on the range is what I did for my daughter. I bought a ruger 22 for her and I also have a 22 conversion kit ordered for my model 22. I figure the Ruger will get her to the range and let ehr enjoy shooting then when I get the 22 conversion kit she can get used to the Glock feel. I already have a model 17 for her when she wants to use it. Will the conversion fit for both the 22 and 17 ? If anyone knows I would like to know. I figure if it will fit both she can shoot "her" gun with the conversion kit on it. They are both 3rd gen.

Use a 22 to get them there and then use a Glock to keep them there HEHE.

stormy brahm
08-25-2002, 16:06
Hmm well my old lady once told me, that she wouldnt pick out my underware, if i wouldnt pick out her handgun's! So i just let things be .after they pick out what they feel comfortable with then take them to the range and sign them up for firearms instructions and remember a family that glock's together stayes together.
happy plinking
stormy;p

maybelle
08-26-2002, 22:39
Good advice about the 22 conversion kits. It will give a good feel for the grip size, and be a nice introduction to handguns without hurting or being 'scary'.

If you have access to one, try it out!

When you do get them guns, do just that. Get them GUNS. Let them each pick out their own. Sign them up for a class. Hopefully they will be motivated to learn how their own personal gun operates, how to shoot it, feed it, clean it.

This way it is not some community property thing for someone else (you) to be responsible for.

Good luck. Let us know how things work out.

maybelle

Fox
08-27-2002, 15:55
My advise is to take the women to one of those pistol ranges where you can rent anything so they can try several makes and models of handguns.

Who knows that they might like.. Glock, Sig, Kahr, Colt 1911a1, Walther PPK, or maybe the S&W M10 revolver.

Bruce Foreman
08-29-2002, 03:55
Originally posted by Aholiab
Could someone comment on the wisdom of a Glock 26 for my wife and teenage daughter for self defense? Neither of them have been involved with firearms. Someone said that subcompacts take more to get used to. Any counsel you could give would be appreciated. :)

Man booked himself and age 25 daughter in my defensive handgun course. He bought her a Glock 26 (she had no handgun experience) and took her out to the range with it and "twist in" earplugs 3 days before my course. I had to spend a couple of hours with her day before my course to try to work out noise flinch problem with partial success.

Slight/slim build, excellent attitude, with electronic earmuffs on she took to the Glock 26 like a duck to a pond in the desert. She has somewhat small hands but is into athletics and is extremely adaptable.

And that is the key. Her dad lucked out on selecting the 26, her adaptability made it work. A friend of mine bought his wife a G19 but when she tried out his G26 he had to buy her one.

So I suggest some training from a pro and then let them try out several types.

Bruce Foreman

PlasticGuy
09-09-2002, 01:40
It was quite an affair when I decided to pick a defensive handgun for my wife. I grabbed every 9mm in my collection, a j-frame .38, and a couple of .22 pistols and revolvers. I figured that the .22's would give me an idea of what operating system she was most comfortable, and the .38 and 9mm's would give me an idea of what recoil level she could handle comfortably. It was fun for her, and frustrating for me.

She hated the .38 revolver. She liked how easy it was to operate and that it didn't spit out hot brass every time she pulled the trigger, but even with light semi-wadcutter loads she hated the recoil. Every 9mm was either "too heavy" (Browning Hi-Power), or "too snappy" (Glock 19, Glock 17C, S&W 6906). Grrr...

But she fell in love with my 1955 production S&W model 43. It is a 3.5" j-frame .22lr with an alloy frame and adjustable sights. It is probably best described as a miniature S&W model 19. I don't like the idea of her having a .22lr as a defensive handgun, but it's not my choice. And I imagine that even a .22 would be a nasty suprise for someone who was in our house without an invitation.

Shooter Grrl
09-13-2002, 21:20
I realize I'm in Glock Talk, but why doesn't anybody mention 1911 style guns for Women? A good single stack 9mm is the PERFECT self defense gun for a woman. They fit us - really really well. I can hold mine right, the recoil is light and because of these 2 "features", I'm a damn good shot (ie, no flinch!)

Nancy
09-15-2002, 19:20
let your wives and daughters pick their own guns! They're the ones that are going to have to shoot them. Take them shooting and let them "try on" several guns........

it's about what THEY feel comfortable with, after all if they can't hit the target ,it'll do them no good to have it......

;m

Nancy
09-15-2002, 19:24
BTW, I carry a Glock 27..... a subcompact .40

I have small hands and can't grip (properly) anything bigger..... It's the largest handgun (SemiAuto) that *I* feel comfortable with and I can put it center mass every time :)

ExxoticOne
09-18-2002, 22:27
Hi. FIRST - the most imperative thing here is that it is going to be up to your wife to determine what she is comfortable handling, firing, and TRAINING with. Handgun ownership is a serious RESPONSIBILITY and I would caution you that if there is no intention to take a gun safety and training class and get some consistent practice time in you should look into other means of self defense. You mentioned your teenage daughter!!!? I would even "go there". I'd also suggest you take your wife out to a reputable gun shop and firing range...let her get used to the "sound" & "atmosphere"...some people get turned off as soon as they realize how dangerous a gun can actually be. It can be overwhelming to those who are "new" to handguns. You'll want to address a few of these topics: what the gun will be used for (concealed carry? home protection?) calibers...semi-auto vs. revolver, gun locks/safety, etc. With that said...your wife is going to have to "try on" many different handguns...but note that finger extensions, grips, and lasersights, etc. can be added on to make the gun more "user friendly". I wouldn't personally recommend a laser sight until the operator becomes a PROFICIENT shooter. You mentioned "subcompacts(may)take more getting used to" but since your wife will be "new" to this she won't really have anything to compare it with...and since she will practice consistenly it shouldn't be a huge issue. I have recently purchased a Glock 26 which is a subcompact 9mm handgun. I had a Scherer finger extention ($5)added so that the gun feels better in my hand. I like the way the gun fires, and the fact that there are various "safety" features on the gun. Its a good sized gun - not a "hand cannon". I'm a Glock fan so of course I'd say...go for the 26...another mini-glock is the 36 which is 45 caliber - I like that one too...but you're wife will be the decision maker! I hope this has been helpful.:)

dervari
09-19-2002, 07:57
Could someone comment on the wisdom of a Glock 26 for my wife and teenage daughter for self defense?

Are you talking about one to have in the house, or one for each of them to carry? Is it legal for a teenager to be in sole posession of a pistol in your state?

Amelia
09-26-2002, 21:10
I love my Glock 26 but don't start them out with one of those. Start them out with a 19. It's a nice side and easy to hold. The 26 seems small in most folks hands and it's measurably snappier. Start them on a 19, then if they want something smaller, they can deal with the 26 when their experience and confidence are build a bit.

:)

chip00
09-30-2002, 21:55
I had a lady friend who was given a Glock 23 by her brother in law.
I took her to the range and fitted her G23 with my AA .22LR conversion kit. After a lot of instruction, she shot the .22 converted Glock. It worked like a charm and she liked it and could hit with it.
Then I simply replaced her .40 cal back on top of her frame and fired a few rounds to get her used to the noise. She took it over and did the same without a hitch. No problem and she did very well for a first timer at the range.
Before firing the first round, I talked long and hard about safety, and the legalities of self defense, etc. More than half our time was spent on safety and legal stuff. We were alone at the range without distractions.
She had a positive attitude about wanting to learn which helped our instruction.
Due to the success of this instruction I think this is the way to do it but I welcome suggestions from trainers and instructors. This probably will not be the last time I do this as a favor for someone.

Lew-G17
10-01-2002, 21:36
Let the ladies decide. Best way is to have them to shoot as many different guns and calibers as possible. My wife has tried .22, .380, .38 special, .40, .45, and 9mm in in pistols and revolvers. Her favorite is a Beretta model 84 .380. She said this was the best gun she has ever shot. I would have never picked it out for her so that's why I say let them choose.

SlimKim
10-02-2002, 03:34
I think it's good if an experienced shooter gives advice but don't try to shove it down their throats.

I chose my first gun based solely on gunzines and took a bath on it. Would have appreciated having someone with experience who could have advised me.

On the other hand, try to force something on a woman and she'll very likely go against it just to spite you. Think about it, when was the last time your teenage daughter thought that you (or your wife) had a clue about ANYTHING?

Give advice, point out any mistakes they might make but, let them choose. And good luck to ya.

PlasticGuy
10-02-2002, 11:10
Originally posted by SlimKim
On the other hand, try to force something on a woman and she'll very likely go against it just to spite you.
Okay, I give up. When did you meet my wife? ;f

David Blinder
10-02-2002, 11:16
In virtually every basic handgun class I teach, there is at least one person who shows up with a pistol that was selected for them by someone else. More times than not, it doesn't fit them properly. One of the most popular sections is when I bring out a BIG variety of pistols and let students try them out and see what works for them. In my observations, women seem to prefer Browning Highpowers, mid-sized Glocks and 1911's (no particular order). In general, a j-frame is the last choice although for some reason, gun shops seem to think it's the "perfect ladies gun." The advice you have received about getting professional instruction for them is appropriate as it's pretty rare to find a wife and/or a daughter who will listen to you, regardless of how well qualified you might be to offer advice.

GeorgeAtl
10-02-2002, 17:04
David.....

We had a gal in the Thursday Night Shoot, whose husband bought her a Glock 22. Told her to go learn how to shoot it.

.40 S&W for her first EVER shooting?? Yep.

She shook like a leaf every time she shot it, and I think she put it away. We haven't seen her for a couple of months.

Another classic case of someone else doing the gun selection, not the user.

Yes, this is at ACM.

10-02-2002, 17:25
suggest you think twice about any firearm for any teenager, especially a split-tail. don't look for trouble..it will find you!!!

David Blinder
10-02-2002, 18:35
George,

The sad thing is how many people have their shooting "career" ruined by getting bad advice. I've been giving private lessons to a lady whose dad thought she should learn how to shoot with a snub .357 with full magnum loads. She has a flinch that you have to see to believe.

GeorgeAtl
10-02-2002, 20:53
Originally posted by David Blinder
She has a flinch that you have to see to believe.
And you may never get rid of that flinch, either. They almost become indelible. Tough to erase.

Good luck with her lessons. I hope you can get her to shake it.

1loneranger
10-07-2002, 12:59
Originally posted by glocknflorida
suggest you think twice about any firearm for any teenager, especially a split-tail. don't look for trouble..it will find you!!!

You are despicable!

Shoeless
10-07-2002, 21:09
Originally posted by glocknflorida

A SPLIT TAIL??

((a-hem))

We'll just be ignoring that I guess. Let the ladies choose their own guns. I have shot several Glocks and although they are okay, I never feel fully comfortable with them because my hand won't completely encircle the grip, and I can't reach the mag release without changing my grip.

My two guns are a Makarov, which I LOVE and the HS2000 which I also LOVE. Both fit my hand extremely well.

Good luck.

Shoeless

SlimKim
10-11-2002, 12:48
Plastic Guy, This is your wife; And put your dirty socks in the hamper if you expect to get them washed! And STOP trying to tell me how to drive.;e

echo
10-21-2002, 11:20
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Shooter Grrl
[B]I realize I'm in Glock Talk, but why doesn't anybody mention 1911 style guns for Women?

There's nothing wrong 1911 for anyone.

A good single stack 9mm is the PERFECT self defense gun for a woman.

I have to disagree,the velocity of 9mm concerns me. While one of my favorite guns to shoot, for sheer pleasure, is the 9mm. If I have to use my gun for self defense, then I want to Stop my threat now! For self defense, I prefer them big and slower a'la 45 cal. But as this thread has pointed out that is a personal choice.

Two weeks ago we (SAS MA.Chapter) held an Instructional Womans'Shoot. We had 46 participants, most of them had never fired a gun. By and large the group perfered the 22. We had 22 and 38's available for them to shoot. [they also got to shoot rifles and shotguns]

The next class will be a Basic Firearms Safety course which will qualify the participants to apply for their LTC/CCW.

As part of the class, they will have the opportunity to use many different types of handgun models, makes and calibers. We will discuss the effects of calibers as relates to self defense. None of the instructors will push a particular gun, intead we'll try to present and discuss the types of questions they should be asking themselves about a the model's they are comfortable with.

A persons decision to carry a handgun for personal protection should be made with as much information and exposure as possible. Comfort comes from having the information and the opportunity to try out various guns as many times as the perosn requires. Not everyone will choose to carry. There's great responsibility that some won't want to assume. That too is a personal choice.

As friends/family and instructors we owe it to new shooters to give them support, knowlege, opportunity and the time that they need to make informed choices for themselves.

RKBA

PlasticGuy
10-21-2002, 12:35
Originally posted by SlimKim
Plastic Guy, This is your wife; And put your dirty socks in the hamper if you expect to get them washed! And STOP trying to tell me how to drive.;e
Ha, nice try. First of all, the proper phrase for the socks thing is, "Get your socks out of my living room, and wash them yourself." Second, I stopped nagging her about her driving after I discovered that the word "multitasking" really refers to hitting me with a cell phone while driving a car on the freeway." ;)

And yes, I'm kidding. Hey, get away from me with that frying pan... ;f

Edmund Rowe
10-22-2002, 17:24

There is some law of the universe that spouses cannot coach each other on handgun selection or training. Don't ask me why, it's just the way it is. It probably applies to teens as well. When I was 19 there was no way my parents were going to tell me what my first handgun was or wasn't going to be. (disclaimer: I realize 19 is underage for handgun purchases. I did NOT buy a handgun when I was 19. I was planning ahead for when I was 21 and legal age. Nuts to alcohol, I was thinking of HANDGUNS!!!)

Subcompacts generally are more difficult to shoot well than mid- or full-sized handguns. Glock subs are easier to shoot compared to the larger Glocks than, say a Colt Officer's compared to a full size 1911 IMHO.

The best way for your spouse/offspring to figure out what works best for them is they get someone besides yourself and sho's familiar with showing the ropes to newbies to take them to the range with a variety of sizes, calibers, and models to choose from. It may take more than one range outing for them to decide. Also, you should be something like 50 feet away at the closest and not participate in the discussions/shooting trials.

My own opinion is that beginners should avoid .357 Magnum and .40 S+W. I usually start them with 9mm and .45 ACP in autos. Also, don't bring any double action autos and all revolvers and you eliminate about 80% of the choices out there. Exceptions do exist so if they take to shooting like Edmund to buffet pizza, then maybe they can try the loudenboomers and sharpenkickers.

OK having said all that, my opinion is the G19 works very well for more people sooner and easier than most any other brand or caliber.

My advice is worth every penny you paid for it.

Edmund Rowe
10-22-2002, 17:26
Originally posted by Shoeless

I have shot several Glocks and although they are okay, I never feel fully comfortable with them because my hand won't completely encircle the grip, and I can't reach the mag release without changing my grip.

Shoeless: I'm sure you already know this, but on most auto pistols we all have to shift our grip to make sure we reach the mag release.

....but you knew that, you just wanted to see if anyone else would catch it, right?

Shoeless
10-22-2002, 20:09
Originally posted by Edmund Rowe
Shoeless: I'm sure you already know this, but on most auto pistols we all have to shift our grip to make sure we reach the mag release.
....but you knew that, you just wanted to see if anyone else would catch it, right?

No, actually I didn't know that. I just assumed that other people had bigger hands/longer fingers/thumbs than I do. I use my gun in competition, so shifting a grip on reloading isn't good news for the ol' score.

Shoeless

Mr.TwoCents
10-24-2002, 14:37
I'm surprised that no one has brought up the question of how much are they gonna train with the firearm. Weekly? Maybe one a month? Or is it gonna sit for most of the year and maybe be brought out twice or three times a year. I have a good deal of handguns both semis and wheelguns. I also have a girlfriend that loves to shoot. I agree wholeheartly that it should be your wife and daughter that get to make the choice but having said that, a newbie won't make an educated choice because they are basing their choice, most of the times, on what scares them least or jumps least in their hands. If your wife and daughter are gonna become dedicated firearms users then go for a semi, but I would highly recommend a revolver for ease of use and the loads of different grips to be had for them, than a semi if they aren't gonna train all the time. My girfriend is 5'6'', medium built somewhat athletic, a heck of a shot, but she struggles with the slides of most semi-autos. I would start them off with a GP100 in a 4" barrel in .38/357mag and see if they get fired up. Then they could graduate to a semi like the glock which has no bells and whistles. This train of thinking is the reason that makes the 1911 one of the greatest pieces ever but also a very contreversial one. The 1911 demands dedication for one to enjoy it's full benefits while the glock is more simple and forgiving and a revolver even more so. That's why I own all three.

PatrolMom
10-28-2002, 13:59
Originally posted by Shoeless
No, actually I didn't know that. I just assumed that other people had bigger hands/longer fingers/thumbs than I do. I use my gun in competition, so shifting a grip on reloading isn't good news for the ol' score.

Shoeless

Nope, I have to completely cant the weapon in my little mitt to release the mag. PDOG thought he was being helpful once and put a release extender on my 19. I was shooting fine in class and doing an emergency reload. Guess what? magazine was at my feet in the dirt. Not a good place to be when you're in the hunt.

He promptly removed the extender and I learned how to cant the weapon and reaquire my grip through practice, repetition and good old fashioned muscle memory.

While I am all for comfort and ease of operation, one must always remember that they are shooting a gun and not swatting flys. It's all in the wrist, grip and attitude of same, if you ask me.

It's a gun. Learn to handle it rather than it handling you! ;f

GeorgeAtl
10-28-2002, 14:03
PM...

You oughta try the HS/XD. Ambi Mag Release.

It's really nifty to be able to use your trigger finger to release the mag!!

I think that feature really sold Shoeless on the HS, along with the slimmer grip.

PatrolMom
10-28-2002, 22:40
Originally posted by GeorgeAtl
PM...

You oughta try the HS/XD. Ambi Mag Release.

It's really nifty to be able to use your trigger finger to release the mag!!

I think that feature really sold Shoeless on the HS, along with the slimmer grip.

Thank you for the advice. I will try it, and let you know how I do. I have a task master of a husband, though. hehehe ;f

ladyshooter
02-11-2003, 13:44
First off,

Hello again everyone...Did you miss me?

I am not sure but am I the only one the was offended by the statement from Exxoticone? (I think I spelled that right, if not sorry)

"You mentioned your teenage daughter!!!? I would even "go there". "

Assuming this was meant to sat "I wouldn't even go there" my thought is why not. What is wrong with a young lady learning to shoot a gun. I shoot IDPA with a 10 year old young lady that is becoming one heck of a shooter.

Shoeless...I disagree with Mr. Rowe. With many guns I can not reach the mag release either but for me the SIG P229 is perfect. I also shoot in competition and that little shift can make a difference. I do not have to change my hand at all on my gun. If you do need to shift your grip maybe you need to keep looking at other options or look at how you are gripping the gun to start with. If you have a gun that fits your hand and you can reach everything with ease...stick with it. If you can not find such a fit like PMom seems to have encountered..Practice overcomes all and do what works as long as it is safe.

OK..I am done ranting. See ya later.

Amelia
02-11-2003, 14:14
Maybe I'm missing something, but if you don't have to shift your grip to hit the mag release, then isn't it possible to accidently release a mag?

;d

ladyshooter
02-11-2003, 14:33
Amelia,

For me...My thumb rests below the mag release and you have to make a concerted move in order to hit the release button. It also takes more pressure to activate the release than would occur naturally. Therefore, I can reach the release with a simple and intended lift of the thumb and activate with slightly more than natural pressure. It works well for me but maybe I am in the minority and have just been lucky enough to find a gun that fits me this well. If I can figure out how to post a picture I will take one to show you.