Someone was on my roof last night...advice needed [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Someone was on my roof last night...advice needed

Facejackets
12-03-2008, 10:41
Last night, someone was on my roof. And three things became apparent.

1. I need night sights
2. I need to learn to not panic
3. I need to take a few handgun training courses

So my girlfriend and I were laying in bed last night, and we hear what sounds like someone throwing a big rock at the side of our house.

We both jump up, and I looked out the window and didn't see an kids running, or anything else so we laid back down.

Maybe three minutes go by and we hear it again, but it is louder, and it sounds like it is in the house.

So we both jump up again, and I grab my G17, and my girlfriend runs across the hall to her sisters room and tells her that we think someone is breaking in.

I go very slowly and as quietly as I can down the stairs, and I start checking everything. When I go down there I saw a flash of light through our dining room window. and I go to check, but there is nothing there. I checked the backyard, and nothing was there either.

So I walked back up the stairs, and I start to go back into my girlfriends room to put my gun away, and she screamed. She said she saw someones face in the window. I turned around, and I saw the persons whole upper body, crouched over, but fleeing away.

So I grab the gun again, and run outside with my 17 pointed at the roof, and I check the whole roof, and the side of the house, and the backyard, but again, nothing.

Our side fence wasn't opened, and nothing was disturbed in the backyard, and obviously, no one broke in.

So it took us a while to get to sleep, but after that we didn't hear a thing.

The advice I need is, what if someone tries that again? And they are outside of the window looking in? Can I legally shoot them? Or if I run outside again, if we are both still within my property can I shoot while the person is on the roof?

Also, when I first grabbed the gun, I was sort of in a panic, because I was sure someone was trying to break in. So I was fumbling around before I got it loaded.

Also, where can I go, or who do I talked to about taking defensive handgun courses?

This incident makes me want my CCW 100x more, but now I'm not sure if I am ready because of last night, and me fumbling too much.

osiruscyn
12-03-2008, 12:56
There was a situation here in Vegas where the homeowner was awoken by noise outside and the sound of someone breaking a window. He saw silhouettes outside his window and opened fire. He struck on of the suspects in the head and he died. He was 14. The homeowner didn't face any charges.

I'm not saying that in your situation you should have fired because the biggest difference was in his case, there was something trying to break in. In yours, they weren't actively trying to break in, technically, they were prowling. One is a felony, the other is a misdemeanor. I'm going to guess that he was on the roof, looking for a skylight or something like that where he could get in. He was probably drunk/high. You should have had your girlfriend call the police as soon as you saw the guy so they could get someone in the area to attempt to locate. Even if they don't find him, they know there was a prowler in the area.

With that said, you did what you could in that situation and there wasn't much else you could do. I would have taken a flashlight with me if i went outside however, best to know what you are shooting at before firing.

As for training, there are many people/places you can go to. However, it also depends on what you want to pay. There is a guy on this board, sweatnbullets, who's in Vegas that trains. Definitely a good idea to get training.

As for the CCW, you don't have to have a CCW to carry on your property or in your home. CCW would be irrelevant in this situation but yes, something like this would be a catalyst for sure to get your CCW.

Beware Owner
12-03-2008, 12:57
For home defense shotguns do wonders....

osiruscyn
12-03-2008, 13:00
For home defense shotguns do wonders....

i agree, to an extent.

My house has some tight corners. If someone was in my home and waiting and i went around one of those corners with the shotgun leading the way, they could easily grab it and a wrestling match would ensue. At least with a handgun, i can keep it close in so as not to lead to much and possible have it grabbed.

Of course, I also have a shotgun and a handgun on the bedside. I'm going ton investigate, the handgun is what i'm taking. If I'm staying and waiting, the shotgun is what i'm grabbing.

jpa
12-03-2008, 14:17
Definitely a weird situation. Glad you're all ok....I'm not sure I would have left 2 women alone without a means to defend themselves. Might have been a better idea to hunker down and wait with them while Metro does the clearing.

If you want to get additional training, I highly recommend the courses at the Boulder Rifle and Pistol Club. I've taken Intermediate Pistol and their Tactical Carbine class so far, this spring will be the Advanced Pistol class. You can see their schedule at www.brpc1.org

Like osiruscyn said, be careful with shooting unidentifiable people outside. That homeowner wasn't charged, but the one who chased the kid down the street shooting at him was and got a few years in the pen. There's a fine line between self-defense and aggressor, try not to cross it.

Blitzer
12-03-2008, 14:43
A solution? South Korea's Machine Gun Sentry Robot (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5YftEAbmMQ)

Sweatnbullets
12-03-2008, 21:36
Face, check out my course schedule here. http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=954811

I've been instructing for Suarez International for over two years now. I have taken over 55 course. I mostly teach very advanced stuff, but I am running a beginner and intermediate course in January and February. I am an NRA certified Rangemaster, Instructor on the Handgun and Protection Inside of the Home.

If you want to check out my course reviews come over to Warrior Talk Forums. There are close to a hundred reviews of my courses their.

There is a special on courses going on right now.....until Dec 5th.

You can only legally shoot someone if you or another innocent are in "immediate risk of death or grave bodily harm." Someone outside your window does not qualify, unless they have "Ability, Opportunity, and Intent" (AOI) and they need to have all three. Last night the bad guy had "Ability" and "Opportunity", but you could not prove "Intent." If he pointed a weapon at you....all bets are off.

Training is even more important than you think.....even after last night.

Roger Phillips
rwphillips@cox.net
702-338-2002

1337-G
12-03-2008, 21:41
Who called 911 when you were out there playing ninja?

d3athp3nguin
12-03-2008, 23:46
Suarez shooting school is awesome. I got a lot out of the DPS course I took, and would definitely recommend their curriculum to beginners.

Oh... and this is meant to be constructive criticism, but why the heck did you have to load your firearm at a time like that? Ammunition is as much a part of a defensive firearm as the barrel, like fuel is a component of your car. If said prowler had made it to your room before you were aware of his presence, then you would be loading your weapon on borrowed time. Any gun you intend to have on standby for defensive use, needs to be loaded and ready to go.

A personal opinion- keep a flashlight with your gun. As you now know, waking up to a potential threat is like trying to go from reverse straight into fourth gear, and you are going to be sloppy. Make defending yourself as cave-man simple as possible. Guess what class I learned that from? :supergrin:

Were the two women appreciative of your preparedness? Your incident may have just added two pro-2A people to the ranks.

Facejackets
12-04-2008, 10:33
Well I actually didn't think about leaving the two women alone...I should have.

My girlfriend was only armed with pepper spray.

I always keep my ammo away from the gun, or at night, out of the gun. There is a baby in the house, and adults that I don't want getting a hold of the gun as well. I DO keep it locked when I'm not home though.

That night I just happen to unlock it, and put a clip right next to it, under the bed.

But from now on, is is staying loaded at night because that was a little frightening.

Thanks for the links, and Sweatnbullets, I will check out your courses as well. i am hoping after the new year I get a promotion and a raise. So if I do, you might be seeing me!

My girlfriend hasn't had any problems with the gun. I think it makes me feel safer than she did in this new neighborhood.

But it was the first time her sister was happy I had the gun. She has been really against it since she found out I bought one. She has bought it up to my girlfriend a few times, but no one has said anything to me about it yet.

We just moved into this neighborhood in the beginning of October, and since then, we have noticed that it isn't as good as we thought it would be.

There was a shooting a few miles away at a party the night before halloween. The cops are always down the street at the same house where a bunch of high school kids live. A couple of weeks ago, there was a shooting the next block over from me at a party. And when the cops showed up, kids were running through our yard(which freaked me out, cause you never know who had the gun). And the other night, I walked out of my house to go to the gym, and there wee some kids messing around with a cars wheels. I'm not sure what they were doing, but I started walking in that direction, and they took off FAST.

Blitzer
12-04-2008, 10:41
Well I actually didn't think about leaving the two women alone...I should have.

My girlfriend was only armed with pepper spray.

I always keep my ammo away from the gun, or at night, out of the gun. There is a baby in the house, and adults that I don't want getting a hold of the gun as well. I DO keep it locked when I'm not home though.

That night I just happen to unlock it, and put a clip right next to it, under the bed.

But from now on, is is staying loaded at night because that was a little frightening.

Thanks for the links, and Sweatnbullets, I will check out your courses as well. i am hoping after the new year I get a promotion and a raise. So if I do, you might be seeing me!

My girlfriend hasn't had any problems with the gun. I think it makes me feel safer than she did in this new neighborhood.

But it was the first time her sister was happy I had the gun. She has been really against it since she found out I bought one. She has bought it up to my girlfriend a few times, but no one has said anything to me about it yet.

We just moved into this neighborhood in the beginning of October, and since then, we have noticed that it isn't as good as we thought it would be.

There was a shooting a few miles away at a party the night before halloween. The cops are always down the street at the same house where a bunch of high school kids live. A couple of weeks ago, there was a shooting the next block over from me at a party. And when the cops showed up, kids were running through our yard(which freaked me out, cause you never know who had the gun). And the other night, I walked out of my house to go to the gym, and there wee some kids messing around with a cars wheels. I'm not sure what they were doing, but I started walking in that direction, and they took off FAST.

Carry the loaded weapon on your person? :dunno:

osiruscyn
12-04-2008, 10:48
jesus christ, where do you live, naked city?

Facejackets
12-04-2008, 11:58
I live about three minutes from Sunrise Mountain.

Lake Mead and Hollywood area. It seemed like a really nice neighborhood. I guess I'm wrong.

osiruscyn
12-04-2008, 12:06

Lake Mead and Hollywood area. It seemed like a really nice neighborhood. I guess I'm wrong.

Yeah, that area has turned to **** real quick like. It's unfortunate that it's happened.

Facejackets
12-04-2008, 12:29
Yeah, that area has turned to **** real quick like. It's unfortunate that it's happened.

That really sucks. I wish I knew that before we moved.

Texas357
12-04-2008, 17:21
So, when did you inform the police?

1337-G
12-04-2008, 19:38

Oh yeah, that's a target rich environment for sure. Buddy of mine lives there and has had his truck and his nephew's truck vandalized in that neighborhood three or four times in the last six months.

You still didn't say who called 911 while all this was happening?