Power spikes, surges and lightning strikes [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Power spikes, surges and lightning strikes

WINGS
12-04-2008, 06:02
Does anyone know about this 'whole home' surge protector?
It sounds good but............
You have to sign up on the site with name, phone, etc. to get a cost.
http://www.ecotrustenergy.com/default.aspx

BHP9
12-04-2008, 07:08
I watched the vid and it states the the warrany of what is covered in the event of a spike getting through the device is only $25,000. A lot of houses would have more than that.

If you are concidering this, READ THE WARRANTY VERY CAREFULLY before purchase.

WINGS
12-04-2008, 09:38
I have a buddy that signed up for the information and I'll post what I get on the price.
Not sure but homeowners insurance should cover problems like that??

WINGS
12-09-2008, 08:32
FYI Here is what my buddy found out.

I called the company right after you sent me the tip on this product. It will retail for $695.00 plus shipping. I've done a bit of research and it's the real deal.

DoubleWide
12-09-2008, 21:14
From everything I've seen, the claims are pretty bogus. If you don't believe me, bring it up in an electrician's forum. You can get a full house surge protector which is a different story.

NGWT
12-10-2008, 13:50
My electric company advertises "whole house" surge proctection. I think it costs like an extra $6 a month. You may want to look into that.

d3athp3nguin
12-10-2008, 23:02
What's wrong with using the surge protectors/power strips you already have?

I guess this could help protect things like your refrigerator... but through all of the blackouts we have had, I have yet to lose an appliance that was hooked up to a power strip. I wonder if this is just a solution looking for a problem.

Blitzer
12-10-2008, 23:21
What's wrong with using the surge protectors/power strips you already have?

I guess this could help protect things like your refrigerator... but through all of the blackouts we have had, I have yet to lose an appliance that was hooked up to a power strip. I wonder if this is just a solution looking for a problem.

Being in the tech field for 20 years, it is a problem.

Whole house devices work but the grounds have to be in tip top shape and upgraded to the largest conductor size for the runs in each part of the house. There can be no secondary grounds, or loops, that is one major ground for the entire house, and making sure that is done first is in itself expensive.

But as with all things a lightning strike is a gamble and no man made device can withstand millions of electron volts at nearly unlimited power for a few milliseconds! A direct hit will damage a lot of gear regardless of the precautions taken. Even opening your mains will not stop lightning if it is close enough to your house. A ground strike develops thousands of volts that can jump to power lines through mutual induction and damage equipment.

:wow: :shocked: :crying: :dunno:

NGWT
12-10-2008, 23:57
Here you go. This is what FPL covers with their surge protection. If you follow the link you'll notice that their warranty specifically leaves *out* sensitive equipment.

http://www.fpl.com/energy_services/surgeshield.shtml?WT.ac=RE11

Garweh
12-11-2008, 14:17
My wife insisted that we install one of the PowerwoRx e3 units in our house for the claimed energy savings. I admit EXTREME skepticism regarding the energy savings claim, but I went along with her based on the power conditioning claims. Our electricity here is very "dirty" with lots of power fluctuations, etc. The unit was installed in July.

Imagine my surprise when I noticed that our billed electric usage has dropped by approximately 450 kwh per month! We have not instituted any conservation measures or decreased our usage since the unit was installed. Guess that I am a believer.

Detectorist
12-11-2008, 15:30
My wife insisted that we install one of the PowerwoRx e3 units in our house for the claimed energy savings. I admit EXTREME skepticism regarding the energy savings claim, but I went along with her based on the power conditioning claims. Our electricity here is very "dirty" with lots of power fluctuations, etc. The unit was installed in July.

Imagine my surprise when I noticed that our billed electric usage has dropped by approximately 450 kwh per month! We have not instituted any conservation measures or decreased our usage since the unit was installed. Guess that I am a believer.

Long time ago I was considering selling those things. I did speak to a few customers and they all told me they had reduced their electricity bill by 7-15%.

Big Al 24
12-11-2008, 18:08
Most residential power is not the cleanest. If you're running RAID arrays or other sensitive equipment, a good UPS with power conditioning is the minimum protection. A kill-a-watt meter thingie* is a good way to determine how dirty it is.

*thingie is a highly technical term that is probably above all of your heads. I hope I didn't sound condescending.

Blitzer
12-11-2008, 18:24

Possibly a "power factor" capacitor bank with an auto phase adjusting network.