Where have all the computer books/mags gone? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Where have all the computer books/mags gone?

EagleOne716
12-05-2008, 13:37
The other day my wife told me that she has ordered me an ASUS 900 "netbook" for Christmas.
So I went to the local bookstore to see what computer magazines they had (has been a while since I have looked).
I got there and was amazed (and disappointed) in how FEW magazines/books are now dedicated towards computers.
What has happened????? Are people just getting their info off of the internet?
Has the interest in computers waning? Have people become so obsessed with their Wii's and Ipods and Iphones that the normal "computer nerd" is now a thing of the past?
If so, ...I weep for the future.
Your thoughts???
(P.S. I was looking on Linux information since the computer comes with Linux and I am a BIT rusty...there was VERY little on the shelves)
Eagle

Big Al 24
12-05-2008, 14:15
The news stand and Barnes and Noble by my house have lots of options. Even a couple for Linux that always come with a free distro or something. I haven't checked in a couple of months so you could be right, I'm sure the internet really has an effect on those types of magazines.

Unix'N'Guns
12-05-2008, 15:35
Just about all of the big chains seem to carry Linux Magazine, Linux Format, Linux Journal, Linux+, etc., in my local. But they usually put them behind the other "generic/general" PC magazines and the windows/mac publications...they're there, you just gotta dig around for them...

CRANKLIN
12-06-2008, 09:30
I read lots of books, but not too many magazines. I still flip through interesting 2600 articles on occasion. :)

The Pontificator
12-06-2008, 11:09
I just like to look at the centerfolds :supergrin:

Jdog
12-06-2008, 11:44
Being in technology sales myself, I can honestly tell you the gross profit on computer hardware nowdays will hardly pay for the publishing of a magazine. So my guess is that websites took the place of the trade rags because of cost. Also technology is moving so fast right now that the average asus motherboard product is manufactured and discontinued all within a 3-4month time frame which by the time the product gets here from taiwan it's discontinued a month later making advertising media obsolete.
The netbook is a cute little pc! Its gonna be great for surfing the web. I think it's the one w/the small flash drive instead of a hard drive. So if you want to put any larger programs or picturers or anything on it you'll need and external usb hard drive (which are pretty cheap) so enjoy you'r new ultraportable!

Patrick Graham
12-06-2008, 21:18
PC Mag announced last month that they were going to be web only.

I'm looking at the Oct 2008 edition of Computer Shopper, it's about 1/8 of an inch thick.

IndyGunFreak
12-07-2008, 07:37
PC Mag announced last month that they were going to be web only.

I'm looking at the Oct 2008 edition of Computer Shopper, it's about 1/8 of an inch thick.

I used to really like Computer Shopper, and remember when it was easily 1-2in thick.
My favorite, that I've not saw in a while, is PCUpgrade. About the only one I can still find regularly, is MaximumPC.. which is expensive, but I still get it.. :)

Is PCMag charging to read online, or are they using advertising to pay for everything?

IGF

Patrick Graham
12-07-2008, 13:08
I used to really like Computer Shopper, and remember when it was easily 1-2in thick.
My favorite, that I've not saw in a while, is PCUpgrade. About the only one I can still find regularly, is MaximumPC.. which is expensive, but I still get it.. :)

Is PCMag charging to read online, or are they using advertising to pay for everything?

IGF

Not sure what format PC mag is going to be in.

They are selling "Digital Magazine" subscriptions on their website.

Big Al 24
12-07-2008, 20:17
I like Maximum PC as well, maybe once or twice a year. They are so ad heavy that I really don't feel the need to subscribe. I usually buy PC mags before a flight and that's about it. The net has so much more info that is ahead of the print cycles of most of the mags anyway.

www.dailytech.com
www.xtremesystems.org