Quick question about the National Guard [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Quick question about the National Guard

nexlegio
12-08-2008, 20:21
Right now, I am a freshmen in college and barring the failing of my APFT Wednesday, I will be contracted in AROTC. I was wondering if it is possible to serve in the National Guard while in college, and transfer to active duty once I graduate.

CPT_CRUNCH
12-08-2008, 20:43
Right now, I am a freshmen in college and barring the failing of my APFT Wednesday, I will be contracted in AROTC. I was wondering if it is possible to serve in the National Guard while in college, and transfer to active duty once I graduate.

yes, ask about SMP (Simultaneous Membership Program). usually there's a national guard recruiter attached to your cadet bn for this program. its a pretty good deal. you end up going to basic and ait during your summers too. good experience.

ask about it!

http://www.military.com/Resources/ResourceFileView?file=Guard_Joining_Membership.htm

Biscuitsjam
12-09-2008, 07:06
Yep, and it's a good program too. Our guys spend some of their with enlisted conducting regular training, and they spend the rest shadowing officers. The SMP guys learn a lot of skills and become better officers. I strongly recommend it.

By the way, the army will pay you to take college foreign language classes while doing ROTC. I think it starts at about $500 per class and goes up to $2000 at the higher levels. Then, it may be possible to continue receiving a monthly check for retaining proficiency after you go on active duty. I'm not sure of all the details, so ask your cadre about it.

Good luck.

nexlegio
12-09-2008, 11:40
Thanks guys, I thought I had heard something about it, but I wasn't sure.