Shooting a Rarity [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Shooting a Rarity

mossy500camo
12-09-2008, 08:47
There have been two incidents of hunters shooting rarities in our local woods.

One was a Hunter in West Point GA hunting @ West Point Lake in La ZGrange GA. He was deer hunting and a once in a lifetime Cougar walked up on him. So He shot and killed it. The cougar was someones pet that got loose and or the owner set it free. It was not harming anything or anybody. Why not call the Ranger or Game Warden?

Two was a hunter in Salem Al about 30 miles from me. A guy was deer hunting and spotted two does, right over the hill in pursuit of the does was a strange creature. The guy said that at first he thought it was a goat. He let it get closer and BOOM fired once killing it. It was a VERY RARE solid white Deer. Everybody in the area was like, I have never in my life seen anything like that. So why did he have to shoot it?

Any others?

noway
12-09-2008, 10:00
so ?In both of your examples, what the law ? and was all iaw the establish hunting laws for that area and zone and time?

In the 1st case did he know the cougar was a pet? What restriction where up against the big cat?

In the last case was the deer not legal? or do you have color restriction or racist views on deer that prevent you from killing a deer that's white ? ;)
What if it was green with black stripes ? or white on top and brown on bottom ? ;)

BTW: If I saw a albino deer, I wouldn't think twice to shoot it if it had horns and was 100% legal in regards to hunting. ( in reality ) I probably would be to amazed and probably let it get away ;)

bamarammin87
12-09-2008, 10:46
so ?In both of your examples, what the law ? and was all iaw the establish hunting laws for that area and zone and time?

In the 1st case did he know the cougar was a pet? What restriction where up against the big cat?

In the last case was the deer not legal? or do you have color restriction or racist views on deer that prevent you from killing a deer that's white ? ;)
What if it was green with black stripes ? or white on top and brown on bottom ? ;)

BTW: If I saw a albino deer, I wouldn't think twice to shoot it if it had horns and was 100% legal in regards to hunting. ( in reality ) I probably would be to amazed and probably let it get away ;)

same here! If I saw a cougar here tho I wouldn't shoot it. Illegal to kill mountain lion, ruffed grouse, and bear over here. Used to be alligator too, but now there's a limited gator season down south.

noway
12-09-2008, 12:14
I would love to get a piebald mounted a rear deer if one has to say.My 2nd favorite deer would be an spotted Fawn but that's illegal in FL.

btw Noway loves spots on animals ;)

mossy500camo
12-10-2008, 10:05
Well Cougars are not known anywhere in our area. The Ranger says the hunter was in a tree stand, with a highpowered rifle when he killed the cat. To my knowledge WEST POINT LAKE. Highpowered rifles are a no.. no.. and the same goes for tree stands. Shotguns and stalk hunting only for deer.

As for the albino. Dunno I guess if that guy hadnt of shot it another gungho hunter would have. I wouldnt.

noway
12-10-2008, 21:16
As for the albino. Dunno I guess if that guy hadnt of shot it another gungho hunter would have. I wouldnt.

So if you take a Albino deer, your gunho :upeyes:

How about if you take a 14 point buck with dropped tines, that a rarity also. Would you still consider a hunter "gunho"? What/where do you drawn the line at?

I just don't quite understand your complain on "rarity". In all of those cases, if the animal is in season and no laws broken, bam bam bam.

Alot of things are rarity, and guess what that rarity will die one way or another.

btw: You do know a albino or piebald deer is not expected to make it the avg lifespan of a regular deer in the wild? Other 4 legged predators will probably kill it quicker than you can say wow. Their lack of fur/skin coloring place them more vulnerable.

Peace Warrior
01-14-2009, 01:10
Noway has this rarity thing well in hand. I'm moving on to the next thread.

Have fun all.

PW

kfranz87
01-19-2009, 23:40
Here in GA there's no regulations regarding big cats. I personally think they are a dangerous animal to have running around in the woods, so I would take it out. As a side note, if you can afford the bill from the taxidermist, it would look really cool in the corner of the living room as a full body mount.

SlowIsSmoothIsFast
01-20-2009, 00:17
If the deer was legal I would shoot it too. Why let it get away never to be seen again and then nobody would ever believe you. lol. Then it'll die some other way and nobody will benefit from it by having a rare trophy. I got one of those albinos on Deer Hunter 2005 and then the game screwed up on me before I could retrieve it. Not sure QUITE how rare that is, but I had played a looong time and only saw that one.