HD recovery service recommendations [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : HD recovery service recommendations

g29andy
12-09-2008, 14:37
family member has a dead laptop due to lightning strike. I tried mounting the HD in a USB enclosure, only clicking noises. Shut it off immediately.

Got a quote from one of the HD recovery companies---$995.
Don't think it's worth it for just a few digital photograph files.

Anyone have experience with more, ahem, reasonable HD recovery services?

srhoades
12-09-2008, 14:47
That seems reasonable to me. If you understood the process you would understand the cost. They dissasemble the drive in a clean room and and re-assemble it with working parts.

Blitzer
12-09-2008, 15:04
Nothing unusual about the price, costly procedure, they basically scrap a good hard drive to recover yours and have the know how.

ND40oz
12-09-2008, 15:21
Put it in a ziplock freezer bag and stick it in the freezer. Once it's nice and cold, slave it to something and try to copy the data off, you won't have much time to do it, so go straight for the files you need.

g29andy
12-09-2008, 15:36
Not worth the cost for .jpg snapshots from a P&S camera. Thanks for the info guys.

g29andy
12-09-2008, 15:39
Put it in a ziplock freezer bag and stick it in the freezer. Once it's nice and cold, slave it to something and try to copy the data off, you won't have much time to do it, so go straight for the files you need.

What the hell, I don't have anything to lose.

IndyGunFreak
12-09-2008, 18:26
What the hell, I don't have anything to lose.

I've never done this before, but a friend of mine had some files of hers saved on a PC in this manner by a PC tech that came to her house.

IGF

Sgt. Schultz
12-09-2008, 19:44
I've used the freezer tip a couple of times and it actually "fixed" the harddrives long enough to recover the data I was after ... like ND40oz said do it quick because once it heats up you're finished.

g29andy
12-09-2008, 19:49
still wouldn't mount after freezing, but at least it beeped instead of clicking.

byf43
12-09-2008, 19:50

This works!!!!!

I had a WD external 160 GB HDD go bad. Clicking sounds. .. period.

Put it in the freezer for 30 minutes.
Put back in enclosure. . . it spun right up.

Copied the files.
Formatted external HDD.
Removed it and took it to the range.