Norton VirusDefs help... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Norton VirusDefs help...

Pancho 12
12-09-2008, 17:40
I'm trying to free up some space on my hard drive. Lo and behold, I find a Symantec file called VirusDefs with 8GB of old virus definition updates. I can't delete them.

How do I get them off the hard drive?

Thank you.

IndyGunFreak
12-09-2008, 18:24
I'm trying to free up some space on my hard drive. Lo and behold, I find a Symantec file called VirusDefs with 8GB of old virus definition updates. I can't delete them.

How do I get them off the hard drive?

Thank you.

Easy, uninstall Norton and install Avast. How much free space do you have on that PC? It might be easy to install another hard drive.. Hard Drives are dirt cheap right now.

http://www.avast.com and download/install the free version.

IGF

Pancho 12
12-09-2008, 23:36
Easy, uninstall Norton and install Avast. How much free space do you have on that PC? It might be easy to install another hard drive.. Hard Drives are dirt cheap right now.

http://www.avast.com and download/install the free version.

IGF

Lap top.

Would it be any harder to install one on this as opposed to a desktop?

BTW: Killed Norton '06 and installed '09 (it was free...I promise I'll switch soon).

I got almost 40% more of my hard drive back after everything I did. The machine itself only has 38GB...we only use it for e-mail, pictures, and internet.

bennwj
12-10-2008, 02:16
If you ever see a picture of Peter Norton on the box of one of his software products and he looks like somebody beat the living **** out of him, you know I finally met the man.

My wife put Norton AV and some firewall suite on our desktop PC (this was about 5 years ago) and it slowed down the computer to the point that I click an icon, drive around the block, come home and make a sandwich before the damn thing opened.

Uninstalling it did not work so I ended up talking to some dude in India and we had to remove the program from the registry.

IndyGunFreak
12-10-2008, 04:35
Lap top.

Would it be any harder to install one on this as opposed to a desktop?

BTW: Killed Norton '06 and installed '09 (it was free...I promise I'll switch soon).

I got almost 40% more of my hard drive back after everything I did. The machine itself only has 38GB...we only use it for e-mail, pictures, and internet.

Well, you likely can't "add" a hard drive, but you might be able to find a replacement drive for it. Sounds like that laptop is pretty old however, and probably isn't worth that kind of trouble. If its only used for email, pics and internet... I'd look around for some Linux distributions to put on something with that small of a hard drive. You'll free up a lot of hard drive space, as the OS itself is only gonna take up about 3-4gigs tops, You won't need antivirus/spyware software. The question mark would be determining what wireless device it has, to make sure it was Linux compatible, but that would be easy enough to figure out before you installed anything.

What is the make/model of the laptop?

IGF

Pancho 12
12-10-2008, 11:09
Well, you likely can't "add" a hard drive, but you might be able to find a replacement drive for it. Sounds like that laptop is pretty old however, and probably isn't worth that kind of trouble. If its only used for email, pics and internet... I'd look around for some Linux distributions to put on something with that small of a hard drive. You'll free up a lot of hard drive space, as the OS itself is only gonna take up about 3-4gigs tops, You won't need antivirus/spyware software. The question mark would be determining what wireless device it has, to make sure it was Linux compatible, but that would be easy enough to figure out before you installed anything.

What is the make/model of the laptop?

IGF

Compaq Presario with AMD Sempron.

IndyGunFreak
12-10-2008, 13:02
Compaq Presario with AMD Sempron.

There's a lot of Compaq Presario's with AMD Semprons.. :)

Ddo you have a model #.. like Presario 3349, or something like that.

IGF

Pancho 12
12-10-2008, 13:24
V2000...?

IndyGunFreak
12-10-2008, 14:14
V2000...?

Hmm, looks like that laptop should work out of the box w/ Ubuntu 8.10, except the wireless. The wireless device is a broadcomm, which you should be able to get working following some tutorials...

Just something to think about.

IGF

Smokin23
12-14-2008, 17:58
Uninstall Norton and never look back!!! I use Revo Uninstaller(freeware), gets rid of Norton all the way down to reg entries in about 2 min. To hell with India!

http://www.revouninstaller.com/