Automatic backup of files to external hardrive? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Automatic backup of files to external hardrive?

ICARRY2
12-09-2008, 20:11
I just bought a WD 250gb external hardrive and made a copy of all of my files. Is there a way to set up my computer so that anytime I save something on my computer's hardrive that it automatically backs it up to the external hardrive?

Thanks!

Razrbk444
12-09-2008, 20:56
I don't know about each time you save something, but you can set it to do a daily backup for sure.

Furant
12-09-2008, 21:59
Software RAID?

fwm
12-11-2008, 11:59
You could set up a batch file using XCOPY to copy all files with the appropriate archive bit set (which will happen automatically when you change a file). Put a shortcut on you desktop. double click it when you want to do backups.

The first time you do this it will copy all your files and reset the archive bit. From then on it will only save changed files and then reset the archive bit.

Or you could do what we do at work and set up the 'scheduler' to run the batch file every night.

The alternative is to get some RAID software that will mirror changes to the other drive.

Or by a Mac and run 'time machine'

pesticidal
12-11-2008, 12:03
I just bought a 500 gig WD drive and it came with auto backup software.

Furant
12-11-2008, 13:33
You could set up a batch file using XCOPY to copy all files with the appropriate archive bit set (which will happen automatically when you change a file). Put a shortcut on you desktop. double click it when you want to do backups.

The first time you do this it will copy all your files and reset the archive bit. From then on it will only save changed files and then reset the archive bit.

Or you could do what we do at work and set up the 'scheduler' to run the batch file every night.

The alternative is to get some RAID software that will mirror changes to the other drive.

Or by a Mac and run 'time machine'

If you're okay clicking an icon to initiate it, Microsoft's SyncToy is what you're looking for.

Joey

The Pontificator
12-11-2008, 14:47
part and parcel of Mac OS X: "Time Machine"

havensal
12-11-2008, 19:32
If you're okay clicking an icon to initiate it, Microsoft's SyncToy is what you're looking for.

Joey

I use SyncToy a bit. You can also set it up to run via Windows scheduler. :cool:

Patrick Graham
12-12-2008, 01:08
Vista comes with Automatic File Backup but you need to configure it to kick it off.

d3athp3nguin
12-12-2008, 01:13
Winders has plenty of free backup utilities if you look for them; the suggestions above are all good ones. I would recommend SyncToy, because it was made by Microsoft programmers specifically for XP.
http://www.microsoft.com/prophoto/downloads/synctoybeta.aspx

If you are a Linux man... rsync scripts FTW! :supergrin:

RaiderRodney
12-12-2008, 07:16
I use SyncToy a bit. You can also set it up to run via Windows scheduler. :cool:

I love SyncToy :)

Glock13
12-13-2008, 23:04
I am actually running into a similar problem. I am using Windows Vista Home Basic and have an external hard drive hooked up also. I would like to sync my pictures folder to backup on the external hard drive. I tried using the Vista Sync Center, but Sync Center doesn't recognize the external hard drive as a "syncable" device??? Anybody know how to fix this??