Navy Diver? Anyone? Looking for info [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Navy Diver? Anyone? Looking for info

bwphoto
12-10-2008, 03:28
Wondering if they do anything other than repair ship hulls all day. I'm looking to get into the military and was considering the Marines or Navy Diving. I want a challenge but I love the ocean - just trying to decide. Pretty sure I'll 100% love and 100% hate the Marines but I love diving - just don't want to get bored.

Thanks!

chuckman
12-10-2008, 07:46
Are you a fish? Are you extremely comfortable in the water? Can you run 4 or 5 miles OK? Do you want to be a combat diver (i.e., SEAL, MARSOC/Recon), EOD, or hard-hat diver? Marines have combat divers. Hard-hat is Navy. The Navy has website, navydiver.org, that explains all of the levels of divers and what they do. Try posting over at SOCNET, too, as they have Marines (i.e., combat) divers, EOD, and SEAL. They could answer specific questions.

bwphoto
12-10-2008, 14:08
Are you a fish? Are you extremely comfortable in the water? Can you run 4 or 5 miles OK? Do you want to be a combat diver (i.e., SEAL, MARSOC/Recon), EOD, or hard-hat diver? Marines have combat divers. Hard-hat is Navy. The Navy has website, navydiver.org, that explains all of the levels of divers and what they do. Try posting over at SOCNET, too, as they have Marines (i.e., combat) divers, EOD, and SEAL. They could answer specific questions.

Great info, thank you. Yes, more at home in the water than on land. I can definitely run. I don't know what type of diver I'd like to be - I'll dig around the site you recommended for more info.

FM12
01-03-2009, 20:33
Volunteer for submarine duty. Stay down for LONG periods of tie. Each sub has it's own diver or two.

A6Gator
01-30-2009, 10:15
I was deep-sea, mixed gas awhile ago. If you're looking at SEALs, EOD then your thinking more along the lines of a combat swimmer.

When I was actively diving, we did salvage (acft, boats and body jobs), cutting, welding, explosives and mixed gas for deep submarine rescue. There were some more mundane jobs like hull inspections, patch install/removal and screw changes, but, overall, I liked the job, liked the people.

Atomic Punk
01-30-2009, 10:43
hope you like math and have a good memory. got a copy of the latest navy dive manual, all 5 or 6 pounds of it. lots of good info in it, very cool stuff. not in the navy myself, in school for commercial diving but we use the same manual. think about what your interested in doing in the water.