Recommend expresscard tv tuner [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Recommend expresscard tv tuner

Nickotym
12-11-2008, 10:04
Can anyone recommend a good Expresscard TV tuner that will work with both Vista and linux (KUbuntu)?

Looked a little at Hauppage WinTV-HVR-1500 and HP Expresscard TV tuner. Hearing good and bad on both. Are there other offbrands that are really good?

Thanks,

Nick

ETA: If I get the Hauppage with Media center kit, will that work without Media center? Can I do workarounds to get the remote to work, etc?

IndyGunFreak
12-11-2008, 10:13
Can anyone recommend a good Expresscard TV tuner that will work with both Vista and linux (KUbuntu)?

Looked a little at Hauppage WinTV-HVR-1500 and HP Expresscard TV tuner. Hearing good and bad on both. Are there other offbrands that are really good?

Thanks,

Nick

ETA: If I get the Hauppage with Media center kit, will that work without Media center? Can I do workarounds to get the remote to work, etc?

I had a PVR150 that I ran quite successfully under Linux w/ VLC. The remote was no joy unfortunately, but I found a small script online that changed the channels for me. Hauppage usually has pretty solid linux support.

IGF

Nickotym
12-11-2008, 15:12
Any more input?

Big Al 24
12-11-2008, 19:03
I've got an older Hauppauge pc tv 350 and it runs fine. In linux I had to make up my own LIRC instructions for the remote, but other than that it's been ok.