OCZ memory - is it good stuff? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : OCZ memory - is it good stuff?

Detectorist
12-11-2008, 15:22
Made an impulse purchase today at the local Tiger Direct store. They had a pack of 2 PC 5400 1GB DDR2 modules for $29.99 . I was looking to put some more memory in my Dell E520. I have never heard of this brand.

Is it well regarded?

Thanks

Sgt. Schultz
12-11-2008, 15:33
I have installed OCZ memory into several computers and never had any RAM related issues, in fact I have 4Gb OCZ Reaper HPC PC2 8500 Dual Channel memory in this computer.

m2hmghb
12-11-2008, 15:54
Decent company, haven't heard of many issues with it.

Big Al 24
12-11-2008, 18:02
OCZ is a good company, I don't think you'll regret it. I have their 750w gamexstream power supply and it has been running solidly for a little over 2 years now. I would rank them highly. Gskill, Corsair, Mushkin- all good too. I've tried to encourage people in "Tech Talk" to be more open minded about brands of electronics, and hopefully they will.

IndyGunFreak
12-11-2008, 18:55
I'm (admittedly) very close minded about this stuff... :)

That said, someone I know purchased OCZ and I installed it for him, and it worked fine. Gskill, I got one that was DOA about a year ago, on Ebay.. I returned it for exchange and to my knowledge, its still working fine.

Me and My stuff, only gets Crucial or Kingston.. ;)

IGF

Detectorist
12-11-2008, 21:46
Thanks for the replies, guys. I purchased a set of 2 1GB OCZ 'High Performance 5400 and just installed them. Seems to be working fine. No BSOD or anything. Sure adds a bit of 'snap' to the screens!

betyourlife
12-11-2008, 21:52
OCZ is a good company, I don't think you'll regret it. I have their 750w gamexstream power supply and it has been running solidly for a little over 2 years now. I would rank them highly. Gskill, Corsair, Mushkin- all good too. I've tried to encourage people in "Tech Talk" to be more open minded about brands of electronics, and hopefully they will.

+1 I have their power supply as well and it is awesome so far (6 months now). The blue light matches the other fan lights on my Antec 900.

RaiderRodney
12-12-2008, 06:14
OCZ is my favorite brand for memory and power supplies. But as others have said Patriot, Mushkin, Crucial and Corsair also make good memory so I usually get whichever is on sale at newegg for builds. With power supplies I stick with OCZ or Antecs ;)

RaiderRodney
12-12-2008, 06:15
+1 I have their power supply as well and it is awesome so far (6 months now). The blue light matches the other fan lights on my Antec 900.

Heh I also have the Nine Hundred case with a Gamestream :supergrin:

Big Al 24
12-13-2008, 14:10
Here's a good reference for overclocking your memory.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=227

andybob
12-14-2008, 05:10
I bought 2, 1 GB chips for my laptop and they worked good for a while. Then one crapped out on me.

Any yes when I installed them I used Latex gloves and the works.

Sorry, but that will be the last time I buy anything OCZ.

RaiderRodney
12-14-2008, 09:56
I bought 2, 1 GB chips for my laptop and they worked good for a while. Then one crapped out on me.

Any yes when I installed them I used Latex gloves and the works.

Sorry, but that will be the last time I buy anything OCZ.

Sorry to hear you got a bad stick but keep in mind that no company has a 0% failure rate. To rule out OCZ because of 1 bad experience would be your loss because they do make some of the best memory out there...especially for gaming ;)

And they have a lifetime warranty with great customer service to boot.

andybob
12-15-2008, 08:25
Sorry to hear you got a bad stick but keep in mind that no company has a 0% failure rate. To rule out OCZ because of 1 bad experience would be your loss because they do make some of the best memory out there...especially for gaming ;)

I was just sayin'...

If I need memory again I will go with someone else.

Big Al 24
12-15-2008, 17:11

There is probably no tech company that I have "never" had to return something. It's not a gun.

Sgt. Schultz
12-15-2008, 17:42
There is probably no tech company that I have "never" had to return something. It's not a gun.Hope your not including Ruger in that statement ... they have put out a lot of crap lately.

Big Al 24
12-16-2008, 22:26
Hope your not including Ruger in that statement ... they have put out a lot of crap lately.

I was referring more to the reliability of Glocks because of the forum and the general acceptance of the Glock's durability. Tech parts are more sensitive and involved and quite a bit can go wrong along the way to the product reaching you. And as far as RAM goes, many a bunk chip end up making it past the binning process despite good efforts. Basically, when it comes to tech products it's really all about performance and customer service. Ask anyone who has to order products like hard drives in volume, how many duds they receive. You'll quickly find it's harder to become brand loyal. The question really is, how does the company handle things when they go bad?