Best 7mm REM MAG Cartridge [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Best 7mm REM MAG Cartridge

cigarman
08-15-2002, 21:09
I just purchased a Remington model 700 in 7mm rem mag. There are a lot of factory cartridges available. What are your recommendations? Primary game would be white tail deer in South Carolina. While the deer in the state are not large some of the shots are 200 + yrds over open fields from elevated stands.

TJC
08-16-2002, 08:09
I only use my own reloads in my 7MM Rem Mag. That said, Federal Premium has always been top notch ammo when I have purchased factory ammo for any of my rifles. ;)

Sharker
08-16-2002, 11:44
A rifle will tend to shoot one cartridge better than another, that being said, try a few and see which your gun prints best. Any round out of a 7 mag that over 150 grains will do plenty of damage to a deer. Deer are pretty easy to short circuit so if you hit the right spot, they will go down fairly quickly. Just be real, unless you hit them in the head/spine, they will run off before dying.
Good caliber, get ready for some shoulder knocking however.

Gunlawyer
08-16-2002, 14:53
Cigarman:

I have had great luck with Federal Premium ammo(Factory ammo) in the 7mm Rem Mag. 150 gr. Ballistic Tip. Over the last three seasons, all the deer I have harvested with this load (big Mule Deer and Whitetails) were instant drop in their tracks shots. No follow up shots required. Great long range factory load! I have found that shot placement makes more of a difference than which load you are shooting. Good luck this fall!

Chris

MATRIX
08-18-2002, 08:54
Cigarman:

The 7MM is a great round.
As Sharker said, shoot a few different rounds and see what works best, but try a box of the Hornady 154 Grain Interlock Spirepoint. I tried several other cartridges but the Hornady grouped best in my rifle. Others that I know report like it as well. I've used it with good results on whitetail, mule deer, antelope and caribou.

Also, check out this website:

http://www.slatesafaris.com/7mm.htm

slick slidestop
08-18-2002, 15:17
I have a 700 BDL that prefers 165 GR Sierra Game King BTSP. Out of the box I was shooting 3/4 inch groups at 100yards....plus it knocks them down good.

PaP
08-18-2002, 16:53
I took a Whitetail and an Antelope last year with Federal Premium 150 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips.

At 266 yards(cheked with a laser rangefinder) the Whitetail moved appx 10 yards and dropped in his tracks. The Antelope at 234 yards was hit in the hindquarters and required some tracking and a second shot. Because my Outfitter knew what he was doing we did'nt pressure him and caught up to him appx a half mile away. He was done for with the first shot due to massive blood loss but I was glad to end his suffering.

A lot of people knock the Ballistic Tips but for me on deer size animals they have performed excellent.

duncan
08-26-2002, 17:52
Nice gun and round.

Kick myself for passing up a Rem 700 BDL wood stock in 7mm Rem Mag with a nice Redfield scope for $399 with a sling too.

Can take any game in the upper and lower 48 with that puppy!

chucha
08-27-2002, 00:12
Chris C J got it right. A 150 grain in damn near any configuration will put down anything on this continent. The gun writers can bamboozle us into thinking we need to put 3 rounds into 3 inches at 100 yards. Not so! In my neck of the northern Michigan woods, we need to hit a paper plate at about 75 yards.

The thing about the 150 grain is that with almost any deer rifle, you can sight in at 1000 inches and be good to go for 25 to 300 yards! Of course, you sight in with a six-oclock hold Which I don't do, I use the old Army way of doing things and I hold the top of the front sight right where I expect the bullet to land!!