What's the latest at BGSL [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What's the latest at BGSL

Bren
12-12-2008, 12:25
OK, even after saying I was going to, I couldn't bring myself to renew my BGSL membership - it's really like throwing away $200, since there is no time that I can use the club that isn't either an open event or the ranges are closed.

However, I'm curious about what's happening - is there hope for the future?

Also, I went over to the web site and saw: "The Bluegrass Pistol Club is pleased to announce an exciting new pistol shooting event scheduled for Spring 2009. We will be hosting monthly Steel Showdown matches."

What the heck is "steel showdown"? Some homemade version of steel challenge? is this a bad sign for matches that are actually affiliated with an organization like IDPA or USPSA?

I also saw: Beginning Dec 1, 2008, the entrance gate at BGSL will be closed at all times, including during open matches. There will be someone at the gate between 8:45 a.m. and 10:00 a.m. on IDPA match days to open the gate for non-members. BGSL members will need to have their gate card and membership card anytime they want to visit the club property."

Doesn't look good.

nmk
12-20-2008, 01:03
I'm interested in this as well. I was looking into joining BGSL, but maybe not.

amr40509
12-25-2008, 06:43
I also saw: Beginning Dec 1, 2008, the entrance gate at BGSL will be closed at all times, including during open matches. There will be someone at the gate between 8:45 a.m. and 10:00 a.m. on IDPA match days to open the gate for non-members. BGSL members will need to have their gate card and membership card anytime they want to visit the club property."

Doesn't look good.

This is the only part I really know enough to answer.

The gate stays closed now, but each division gets a cell phone issued now.

On open match days there will be a number posted on the call box at the gate in case no one is there to let you in. You call the cell phone number listed, and the person with the phone in the division can press a button on it and it will trigger the gate from any location.

Each match day, someone will be assigned to carry/answer the phone.

Houngan
12-25-2008, 14:43
Good grief, wouldn't a combo lock be easier? I would also like a general breakdown of where BGSL is heading. My brother was thinking about joining, but I'm reluctant to recommend it with all the stories I hear.

H.

rledwards
12-26-2008, 09:17
The gate is electronic. Each member has a gate card that is held close to the reader to open the gate. Non-members can call thru a call box at the gate to talk to someone about getting in.
There were reports of too many people coming onto the club grounds during open matches and going to other ranges and trying to get away with using them. It is easy to join if one wants to use the facilities.
It is still the nicest place to shoot, East of the Mississippi. And very reasonably priced at $200 a year for renewals. The only nicer range I have been on is the USSA in Tulsa, and I don't know who could afford membership there.
--Lin

Rikki
12-26-2008, 19:53
"It is still the nicest place to shoot, East of the Mississippi."
ummmm...no it's not. BGSL is nice. I enjoyed it when I shot there,but you need to get out more.

Bren
12-28-2008, 07:58
ummmm...no it's not. BGSL is nice. I enjoyed it when I shot there,but you need to get out more.

I've heard the place down near Atlanta is pretty nice, but I've never actually seen, or heard of, another club with BGSL's facitilites. Have you seen the whole club? 1,435 acres? I can't put down the land and facilities, if they could just convince some people to run for office who would not try to run it into the ground for whatever personal reasons they have.

My idea would be to give, at the very least, free annual membership to all office-holders while they are in office. Right now, the club is run by who ever says "no" the slowest - rather than competition for board seats, there is basically the "hey, you're retired, why don't you run the club" board. If there was actually something to make it worthwhile, people might become interested in being directors who could save the club. Otherwise? I'd advise against life memberships (unless you only expect to live 2-3 more years).

rledwards
01-05-2009, 11:05
BGSL news:

Effective January 1, 2009 through August 31, 2009, new members initiation fees will be reduced from $175 plus the $10 gate card fee ($185 total), to $25, including the gate card. The $25 initiation fee also applies to all previous members who have not renewed within 90 days of their renewal date.

steel007
01-11-2009, 16:17

I've shot area matches all across the country, and sure some places have better pits, a better rifle range, a better this or that, but do they have EVERYTHING? If you know of a range that does please by all means show me so I can visit it.

Think about it this way, its what 50 bucks to renew at the little 5-6 table range in frankfort? With BGSL you get every shooting/camping sport you can imagine for 150$ more? I don't exactly like how some things are being ran but during the summer I know me and my wife get the 200$ worth. Plus if you have family, I.E. Wife/kids, from what I understand they are included in that 200$.

Rikki
01-11-2009, 17:59
You need to get out more...BG has nice facilities, except in the Fall of the year after 2" of rain and there's a GSSF match in the mud with hillsi(l)de parking. Look, no range is perfect, but the nicest East of the Mississippi? Naw, the range's reputation for attracting drama is an automatic excluder from THAT category.
MANY factors decide which is the "nicest"...parking, friendliness, facilities, and unfortunately, periods of time in a range's history when the place has been shut down or had dirty BOD business laundred in open forums on the World Wide Web. Tube shooting and RO's during open range times we NOT popular ideas if I recall correctly. The first post
in this thread is an open, honest opinion adressing SOME of the challenges your range faces this year. I wish you good, no,I wish you GREAT luck this season.

Glockrunner
01-11-2009, 19:52
Dang Bo! Hate to hear you folks are a fuss'n up there. Always enjoyed the day shootin there for the GSSF matches. It is the fartherest northern match we travel to.

Hope ya can hold this together, we're lookin toward the next season to visit again...

steel007
01-11-2009, 21:19
You need to get out more...BG has nice facilities, except in the Fall of the year after 2" of rain and there's a GSSF match in the mud with hillsi(l)de parking. Look, no range is perfect, but the nicest East of the Mississippi? Naw, the range's reputation for attracting drama is an automatic excluder from THAT category.
MANY factors decide which is the "nicest"...parking, friendliness, facilities, and unfortunately, periods of time in a range's history when the place has been shut down or had dirty BOD business laundred in open forums on the World Wide Web. Tube shooting and RO's during open range times we NOT popular ideas if I recall correctly. The first post
in this thread is an open, honest opinion adressing SOME of the challenges your range faces this year. I wish you good, no,I wish you GREAT luck this season.

Since I don't get out enough, were is the best range east of the Mississippi?

Berretta9
01-12-2009, 07:24
I have to agree with Rikki. Some of the people down there are pretty rude to guest and they have been so anti-pistol in the past year I can't give them any of my money.

AutomotiveTech
01-12-2009, 11:45
I shot in the pistol pits Sunday, and had a great time. I have also enjoyed all the IDPA matches over the past 10 months(it has been this long since the temporary closure). The ranges are only closed on Monday and Tuesday, and they are open untill dark the rest of the days. There may be some better ranges out there, I honestly don't know, but I am not going to drive hundreds of miles to shoot every weekend. I still say BGSL is a bargin, even at $200 a year. P.S. I refuse to believe that anyone on the Board is donating time in an attempt to get the club closed. I do not agree, on some points, with a lot of them, but I still apreciate the time they are committing, and I feel they are doing what they think is best for the club.

KYMike
02-08-2009, 20:20
I have to agree with Rikki. Some of the people down there are pretty rude to guest and they have been so anti-pistol in the past year I can't give them any of my money.

I have to agree. I called about two years ago to see about checking out the facilities when I was considering joining. The gal I spoke with on the phone was somewhat pleasant, I suppose, but the members there told me (in just about as many words) that they didn't need any new members, and I should look elsewhere. Thankfully, that's just what I did. The reason I called was after seeing the BGSL down at Rupp for the boat show. I remember thinking that any club spending money to be out soliciting new membership probably ought to make sure such members would be welcomed once they arrive at the club.

Unfortunately, the BGSL "cheerleaders" here and elsewhere who say things are peachy in Wilmore and the majority of the membership is happy should spend an hour in one of the area gun shops or shows listening to the "off club property" opinions of the membership. Many of these members have NO qualms airing the club's dirty laundry to perfect strangers and warning anyone who will listen to stay away from the drama. It's sad, really, as the facilities are wonderful and the club has a LOT of potential.

steel007
02-09-2009, 03:41
All I can tell anybod is to come down and see for your self what BGSL is about. If you don't like it then don't join. If you want to listen to the hens cluck at the local gun shows/shops then that is your choice as well.