Monitor for my Laptop, won't play DVD's on it. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Monitor for my Laptop, won't play DVD's on it.

thegriz18
12-14-2008, 00:47
When I try to watch a DVD on my laptop the monitor I have it connected to won't play the video, yet when I open up the laptop, the DVD is playing. How do I get it to play on my monitor?

FL2011
12-14-2008, 01:22
Is the 2nd monitor setup to display the same thing that's on your laptop screen (clone) or setup as a 2nd monitor with the desktop extended onto it?

On some, I would guess depending on the video card, I've seen something similar where it wouldn't play any sort of video on the 2ndary monitor UNLESS you turned off your laptop's screen and made the 2nd monitor the "main" monitor.

I'd try that first....making the external monitor the only one active/on. Can either right click on desktop and then click on Properties or most laptops have some sort of Function/Option key on one of the "F" buttons that toggles the laptops LCD on/off. So you can plug in the monitor and use whatever Fn-key combo yours has until it turns the laptop's screen off and the external display on.

Also, have you tried starting with the laptop off, plugging in the external monitor and then turning the laptop on? Sometimes that will cause it to make the external screen the main screen while turning off the laptop's display.

thegriz18
12-14-2008, 11:10
Thanks a lot man.. you fixed it.

Nickotym
12-15-2008, 13:06
They don't want you playing the DVD over an external display. Another symptom of "treat the customer like a baby so he doesn't do things we don't want them to do." disease.

I think mine does this even when the laptop screen is off. I solved it by using VLC to play the DVD.