Hard Drive - where did the space go? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive - where did the space go?

unit 900
12-14-2008, 10:48
I have an HP notebook running Vista Pro and it has a 72gb hard drive. I am down to about 2.5 gb of available space. I have already deleted a number of seldom used programs. The entire Program Files folder contains about 32 gb. My Documents are about .5 gb. I have deleted temporary files and can't figure out what is occupying the other space (no doubt Vista itself is taking a good bit). Short of installing XP and starting from scratch, I'm looking for suggestions on how to free up some space.

Also, when browsing the Net, I often get a dialog box asking me to open or save a .php file on Glocktalk and other sites. The page will not load. I need to reboot and everything then opens fine. Related to disk space issue?

Blitzer
12-14-2008, 10:56
Manually set your virtual memory = to the RAM might help but expect the laptop to slow down.

But most likely, sorry to break the news to you, a new larger hard drive (200GB), an mini EIDE to USB adapter, and a cloning software, re-registering Vista with Microsoft = solution!

Vista is a hog!

:crying: :shocked: :wow: :faint:

stooxie
12-14-2008, 12:39
Could be all sorts of things. Many vendors now have backup images of the original OS image taking up half the drive. I would guess you'd be able to see it with a partition manager if you've got one.

Do you have that patch rollback thingy enabled for Windows? That eats up space.

I wouldn't say you need a new drive until you figure out what's eating up your space. You can buy a new drive and have that whittled away to nothing, too.

-Stooxie

David N.
12-14-2008, 13:53
As stooxie said, first, see what is using your space.

http://windirstat.info/

stolivar
12-14-2008, 15:05
IT makes multiple backups everyday of you drive as restore points. go in and change the way it uses space. It will eat your drive space up and not show up when you look at your hard drive. It hides it.

steve

unit 900
12-14-2008, 15:53
DaveN;
I used WinDirstat and it was revealing (thanks for the tip). It shows that I have 29.2 gb as a text file with the extension of .log. Are these the daily back-ups made by Vista? Can they be deleted, and how if so?

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b222/heysox/winderstat4.jpg

RDW
12-14-2008, 16:54
DaveN;
I used WinDirstat and it was revealing (thanks for the tip). It shows that I have 29.2 gb as a text file with the extension of .log. Are these the daily back-ups made by Vista? Can they be deleted, and how if so?

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b222/heysox/winderstat4.jpg

I would also like to know!

David N.
12-14-2008, 18:58
DaveN;

I know basically nothing about Vista, but if you can post the file names and locations of some of the files, someone who does can probably tell you what they are, how to get rid of them, and how to prevent them from coming back. Also, is the large green file in the upper right something that's supposed to be there?

unit 900
12-16-2008, 18:27
David N., and any others with similar issues: I found my Bigfoot in the closet. I expanded the folders in the WinDir program and ran it again. It turns out that Avast anitvirus apparently ran amok and began writing error files to a log to the tune of 32 gb. I uninstalled that program (needed to download a utility from Avast) and freed up 32 gb. I'll go back to AVG and hopefully all will be well. That WinDir was the hot ticket, thanks.

I think the error logs started building up when I began a defrag and began seeing error messages. Each of those errors resulted in a 4 mb log file.

CRANKLIN
12-16-2008, 19:48
all of the above + also make sure you clear out your temp directories and your browser cache.

Windows is just a bloated OS.

Blitzer
12-18-2008, 06:04
Could be all sorts of things. Many vendors now have backup images of the original OS image taking up half the drive. I would guess you'd be able to see it with a partition manager if you've got one.

Do you have that patch rollback thingy enabled for Windows? That eats up space.

I wouldn't say you need a new drive until you figure out what's eating up your space. You can buy a new drive and have that whittled away to nothing, too.

-Stooxie

Not being a Vista fan and having disabled such things under XP I agree with your opinions. ;)

Sgt. Schultz
12-18-2008, 06:08
Give TreeSize Free a try ...

http://www.download.com/TreeSize-Free/3000-2248_4-81064.html