New Range? near Richmond [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New Range? near Richmond

rgc1
12-15-2008, 12:46
I represent a group looking into feasibility of a new indoor range and training center just outside Richmond limits. (we have local planning approval!)

We'd be very interested to hear comments, ideas, etc on what types of shooting the industry would like to see in this area.

:wow: Thanks!

RGC

jeffd
12-15-2008, 17:25
Doesn't indoor limit you to pistol calibers? That'd be great, don't get me wrong! Where, E,W,N,S?

rgc1
12-16-2008, 06:52
No, the range can accommodate up to .50 caliber rifle indoors. Would be located northern Richmond area.

Rec4LMS
12-19-2008, 14:53
No, the range can accommodate up to .50 caliber rifle indoors. Would be located northern Richmond area.

Indoor discharge of a .50 cal? Oh, my poor ears are ringing just thinking about that! (Even though I tend to double up my hearing protection while shooting.)

It would be nice! Not too many spots to shoot other than D&P behind Southern Police Supply and the range in Colonial Heights. (I assume that this would be a pay as you go range rather than a membership?)

I would not use it myself, due to my membership at Blackcreek. However, a location north of Richmond would pull from Henrico, Hanover, Caroline, and points north.

mrs269
12-29-2008, 21:48
I think the Richmond area needs another range.

RussP
12-30-2008, 19:11
rgc1, what will the pricing structure look like?

How many shooting lanes are planned?

What will the operating hours be?

Will the rifle range be separate from the handgun range?

You say "training Center". What level training will be offered?

Will there be a retail sales area?

"Just outside Richmond limits," are you talking Henrico or further north in Hanover over that skinny part of Henrico?

You say you already have local planning approval. Is that a final planning commission approval? I've gotten some slightly controversial projects through planning commissions in the past, but they usually garnered a little press coverage. I don't recall hearing about your range. Congratulations for pulling that off.

Look forward to your answers.

RussP
01-04-2009, 13:23
rgc1, you still around?

ProactiveShooters
01-05-2009, 20:21
I would be very, very interested in learning more about this...

Rec4LMS
01-06-2009, 07:52
I just have the feeling that there won't be much coming of this. With just three posts on Glocktalk within the space of two days...

Richmond and points north (Henrico and Hanover) will not allow a new range to open. Not that they can't, but their board of supervisor's just won't approve it. Caroline County would allow that, but that is rather out of the "Richmond" area.

Chesterfield might allow a new range, kind of hard to tell with their board of supervisors. Charles City, New Kent, and Powatan would allow new ranges. Goochland? Got no clue.

Plus, if someone had gotten approval for a range... Well, we'd have heard about it. It's hard to keep something like that under wraps.

rgc1
01-09-2009, 08:54
More to follow, obviously not yet "approved" but a lot of positive feedback.

To answer "RussP" questions, a lot of this is still conceptual and in the development phase, but this is why we are reaching out to the shooters to get some feedback on what the industry would like to see.
Yes would have a small retail area and training room space.
Range would consist of two bays, one of which would be rifle and tactical use with 360 degree targets with downrange shooting abilities.

Let me know what other questions and suggestions you might have. Thanks and sorry for delay responding.

RussP
01-09-2009, 11:06
I'd like to just renew my original questions to which I added details.rgc1, what will the pricing structure look like?
Will there be an annual fee?
What will a day (2-3 hours) of shooting cost?
Will ammo not purchased at the range be allowed? Will reloads be allowed, or only factory loaded ammo?

How many shooting lanes are planned?
How many pistol lanes? Will pistol lanes be 25 yds?
Will shotguns be allowed in the pistol bay?
How many rifle lanes? Will rifle lanes be limited to 25 yds? If no, what yardage will they be?

What will the operating hours be?
Will special interest groups (LE, other first responders, military, security personnel), private parties of say 8 shooters or more and other groups be able to reserve the lanes for organized activities?

Will the rifle range be separate from the handgun range?
Answered, thank you

You say "training Center". What level training will be offered?
CHP classes?
Individual beginner shooting skills?
Multi-discipline tactical training? Handgun/Shotgun/Rifle? Low light tactics? Force-on-force?
NRA instructor training?

Will there be a retail sales area?
What merchandise will be offered? Firearms? Accessories? Holsters?
Inventory depth?

"Just outside Richmond limits," are you talking Henrico or further north in Hanover over that skinny part of Henrico?
How far from the Richmond city limits is the building site?
How close to either I-64 or I-95 interchanges is the property? Easy access is important. Driving 20-30 minutes on the interstate and still having another 20-30 minutes on secondary or tertiary roads might not be desirable.

You say you already have local planning approval. Is that a final planning commission approval? I've gotten some slightly controversial projects through planning commissions in the past, but they usually garnered a little press coverage. I don't recall hearing about your range. Congratulations for pulling that off.

Look forward to your answers.More to follow, obviously not yet "approved" but a lot of positive feedback.

To answer "RussP" questions, a lot of this is still conceptual and in the development phase, but this is why we are reaching out to the shooters to get some feedback on what the industry would like to see.
Yes would have a small retail area and training room space.
Range would consist of two bays, one of which would be rifle and tactical use with 360 degree targets with downrange shooting abilities.

Let me know what other questions and suggestions you might have. Thanks and sorry for delay responding.New questions:
Access to goods and services?
Will the range be located adjacent to other amenities such as gas and food?

Will there be armorer and gunsmith services available on-site? If yes, what level of service will be offered?

Will there be rental firearms available? What types, makes, models?

Last, what type of structure are you contemplating.

Yes, I know I ask a lot of questions. Many people have told me that over the years.

Again, I look forward to your detailed response.

RussP

rgc1
01-09-2009, 14:00
:wow: Most of the questions you ask are the questions we'd like to hear what people want.

Our goal is create a first class environment with a 5 Star NASR Rating.

There will be an annual fee option, as well as, daily and/or hourly fees.
There will also be group discounts and member lane reservations.
Hours will be determined based on needs.
NRA Instructors will be available, as will other industry related instuctors.
The facility will have at least one very large classroom/ DT room.
Rentals - Yes
Ease to Interstate - Yes
Gunsmith - Onsite (scope TBD)
Pro Shop - Yes (Depth of inventory TBD)
Other Amenties near by - Yes (may even have "lounge" onsite TBD)

I'd like to just renew my original questions to which I added details.New questions:
Access to goods and services?
Will the range be located adjacent to other amenities such as gas and food?

Will there be armorer and gunsmith services available on-site? If yes, what level of service will be offered?

Will there be rental firearms available? What types, makes, models?

Last, what type of structure are you contemplating.

Yes, I know I ask a lot of questions. Many people have told me that over the years.

Again, I look forward to your detailed response.

RussP

AaronT
02-05-2009, 05:44
The Richmond area shooters are in need of a high-quality range.

I'm from Oklahoma and when not shooting outdoors, I would shoot at H & H Gun Range. This is the type of range you should strive for in creating.
http://www.hhgunrange.com/ 5 star rating

Wishing you the best in this venture.

AaronT

G19T
02-10-2009, 08:34
do it we need another range around here