English Grammar [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : English Grammar

Azra'il
12-15-2008, 16:03
Hello every one.

My english is not so good. So I need some websites/links where I can improve my english. The sites I need must be very basic stuff, like when to say "on" instead of "in", when to say "have" instead of "has", "it" or "are" etc. Some very basic stuff.

Anyone know some good sites? Thank you ladies! c",)

BobbyT
12-16-2008, 01:56
A fantastic way to pick up on the subtleties of language is to read novels. Just the sheer exposure to properly written English (as opposed to hearing slang, verbal shortcuts, etc) will let you pick it up very quickly.

Mrs. Tink
12-16-2008, 11:47
Hi Azra'il. I suggest following Bobby's advice.

Also, Online Writing Labs (OWLs) often have pages for English as a Second Language learners. Here is a website from Purdue University.

http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/678/01/

They go over things like how to use adjectives, articles, and other parts of speech that you might not find very easy to remember.

:wavey:

Azra'il
12-17-2008, 00:03
Well great! I will try that!

Thank you! In Europe people us to say "TANK YOU"! He he!

Lady27
12-18-2008, 14:42
Azra'il,

You are using English well in your posts. What is your first language? (I am just curious)

My son-in-law is also learning English as a second language. He is from Europe and his first language is Spanish. He speaks some English already and is learning quickly. He found some free classes at local colleges. Sometimes college students who are studying to become English teachers need the teaching experience, so they teach classes in the community. They call these "practicums." You may be able to find a free or low cost English class if you live near a University.

I am sure that your English will improve and I wish you luck.

Azra'il
12-18-2008, 15:20
Lady27,

Hey! You think? Thank you! :)

My first language is Chinese, second is Danish. English is actually the third one.

IMO my problem is not in the writing, my problem is the speaking..however it's not a pronounce problem but composition problem if I want to talk fast! I have a problem composing sentences that makes sence, if I want to talk as fluent and fast as I desire this problem occur!

The person who is listening are very surprised, because my pronouncing is perfect but the composition of the sentences doesn't make any sense! He he..

As I write this message, serveral lines are modified serveral times before I enter them! So in real world, I have to think what to say before I say it, and some time it feel very ridiculous waiting so long thinking about how to compose the sentence before saying it! Currently I try to take a "short cut" making everything very simple! :)

Anyone heard about this problem before?

Lady27
12-18-2008, 16:16
I understand the problem because I study foreign language. But for me to translate from English to Spanish or Spanish to English is much easier than it must be for you to learn English. Spanish is very closely related to English.

I think it would not hurt to call some Universities to ask. My son-in-law is fortunate enough to live near a University which trains students to teach English as a Second language, so his situation may not be typical.

You could also call a Community College, because they sometimes offer English as a Second Language Courses at fairly low cost.

Azra'il
12-19-2008, 00:25
Lady27,

Hmm..sounds like a good idea. :) Thank you very much.

Just curious, if you your nick name Lady27 indicates your age--> 27 years. Then you must been very young when you had your first child, Yes?

Thank you for your inputs :)

Lady27
12-19-2008, 06:16
The 27 indicates my first Glock, the G27.

Azra'il
12-19-2008, 18:03
Ha ha...great! How is the recoil in 27?

Lady27
12-19-2008, 18:30
I worked hard with it but in the end I realized that the 27 is a bit snappy for me. I find that I often need to regain a good grip on the 27, which slows me down. I am sure this is not a problem for many shooters, but my hands and arms are slender. The 27 takes a bit of strength. I have learned that I handle the recoil of a .45 much better. I still have my 27 and shoot it with light loads that my husband makes. But I carry the G39, which is .45 GAP.

Azra'il
12-19-2008, 21:37
Wow...so many weapons in USA! Can you just carry around with your gun in public?

That sounds like wild wild west! He he...anyway I had a G31 once, the recoil in that gun was very difficultto control, I almost haveto re-grip for every shot I fired, jus like your G27! :)

Lady27
12-20-2008, 06:32
It is not like the wild wild west. Most of us who carry our weapons daily will never need to use them in self defense. It is good to have the weapon. But the weapon is not used like in the movies. It is generally concealed well too, which is not at all like the wild wild west. Most of my friends and acquaintances don't know that I am carrying. Strangers certainly don't know. In westerns the weapons are usually visible, but in most places we don't do that. There are some places where people can carry open, but this is still not done with the same character as the western movies.

I am glad that we do have the opportunity to own as many weapons as we do. We are very fortunate.

Azra'il
12-20-2008, 09:49
Well sounds safe then! :) I heard in Texas they do "open-carries" and that it is illegale to conceal them. I get a funny picture when imagine a guy walking into a bank with his revolver visible to his side.:wow:

Anyway, be safe!