Bow Buck [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Bow Buck

GeorgiaGlockMan
12-15-2008, 17:36
I shot this Buck on 12/6 at my place.

He is no monster, but is my nicest white tailed buck harvested to date by bow. He is a little above average for deer at my place.

I saw him at 80-90 yds and put the sneak on him to close the distance since it was getting dark fast.

editorial: I practice religiously out to 60 yds several times a week (hunting elk in Colorado will do that to you). I got to within 60 yds and was ready to draw back but decided to try to close the distance to within 45 yds.

Well I got to 45 yds and I think he noticed some movement so I decided to shoot.

He was quartering to me pretty hard when I let him have it. He went maybe 30 yds and I backed away. I saw him lay down and was pleased that he wasn't going anywhere. 30 minutes later he was being loaded into my truck.

The picture at the processor was an after thought, doesn't do this animal right but it is all I have of the rack.

He is now jerky and burger.

Feels real good to have some fresh meat in the deep freeze.

Dalton Wayne
12-15-2008, 17:40
Good job! enjoy the meal's

bamarammin87
12-15-2008, 17:43
Heck yea buddy! Kill em and grill em. I'm still working on my first bow deer. Enjoy it, congrats!

noway
12-15-2008, 20:46
nice job, glad to see somebody getting sum ;)

FIRE310
12-19-2008, 13:40
Nice deer, good eating for you :supergrin:

GeorgiaGlockMan
12-24-2008, 10:18
Thanks to all.

The backstrap is the finest jerky that I've ever had.

Flavored with Dales.

Mmmmm good!

Edited to add: Jumped this deer's daddy at a huge rub last Sunday afternoon in the wind.

GOing back after Christmas to put a buddy (that just retired from the Marine Corp) and his son on that monster buck - I pray.

Hopefully pics to follow.

D-GLOCK17
12-26-2008, 18:07
Way to go. I don't really hunt. I am considering getting into deer hunting. Years ago, I killed a few squirrels. I never really deer hunted. I am thinking about getting a 12 gauge, as I really don't need a deer rifle.

GeorgiaGlockMan
12-27-2008, 08:03
Way to go. I don't really hunt. I am considering getting into deer hunting. Years ago, I killed a few squirrels. I never really deer hunted. I am thinking about getting a 12 gauge, as I really don't need a deer rifle.

A 12 guage will certainly slay them.

Glad to see someone wanting to be re-introduced to hunting.

It is a great way to connect with nature.

It puts life into perspective - for me at least.

Good luck.