Can't delete registry key. Help!! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Can't delete registry key. Help!!

woodasptim
12-15-2008, 18:47
We've got a corrupt registry key on a Windows 2000 Server. It's happened in the past and regdelnull has always killed it. Well not this time. I've even taken ownership in regedt32 and tried to kill it with regassassin. It just won't die!!!

Here is the offending key:
hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows nt\currentversion\print\printers\windshield sticker printer/hoodman2/session 280

I have to keep the print spooler turned off until I can kill this key, otherwise it just sits there trying over and over to delete it and ties up the whole system. I'll have to come up with something very soon or start formatting this pos for a reinstall which I really don't want to have to do tonight.

Thanks in advance.

CRANKLIN
12-15-2008, 19:09
stupid windows....

restart your server in safe mode before attempting to delete that registry entry.
Also look for another registry entry that runs the software that replaces that registry key. Those things come in pairs.

woodasptim
12-15-2008, 19:21
Safe Mode didn't help. If I drill down, I find the part that won't die. I can't even view it. I get "Cannot open 0x0006-: Error while opening key." It's not regenerating, I just can't delete it.

srhoades
12-15-2008, 19:21
Check the special permissions on the key for deny entries. Remember, deny permissions supercede allow even if you are the administrtor.

woodasptim
12-15-2008, 19:26
I double checked. There aren't any deny entries.

Keep the suggestions coming. Thanks everyone.

srhoades
12-15-2008, 20:31
You may have to check the parent permissions of the keys above it as well for some sort of oddball inheirited permission.

Keoking
12-15-2008, 20:39
Spill a beer on the server and see if you can exchange it.

woodasptim
12-15-2008, 20:55

I tried, but they wouldn't take it. Maybe if I tried a different brand of beer? :supergrin:

Keoking
12-15-2008, 21:14
I'd like to be the first to say "you should have gotten a Mac."

I'm just fooling. I don't like Macs. Their OS is too girly.

woodasptim
12-15-2008, 21:24
Any good registry editors out there that might help? I've tried regedit, regedt32, regassassin, and regdelnull. ???????? - Googling registry editor is a veritable cornucopia of uselessness.

woodasptim
12-15-2008, 23:31
Registry Workshop and Registry Explorer both rock, but neither got the job done.

fgutie35
12-16-2008, 08:53
This is what I would do. Install the same software on another system similar to the one you have and go to the registry and copy the parent folder on a pendrive then go to your server and delete the whole parent folder and replace it with the one from the other system. I did that once with a registry entry that was sharing two antivirus softwares (same stubborness) on a client PC.

Furant
12-16-2008, 10:00
Download and use IceSword (http://www.antirootkit.com/software/IceSword.htm) to edit the registry. It's a piece of Chinese software that's very powerful in helping to identify and remove RootKits. It also is one of the most powerful registry editors I've ever used... and it's helped me remove registry keys that couldn't be deleted despite permission changes.

Good luck and let me know if it works.

Joey

woodasptim
12-16-2008, 10:16
It looked like it was going to work, but the key didn't go away. :(
Thank you for the suggestion though.

gwalchmai
12-16-2008, 16:27
That only works for Exchange Servers...