Will this work? (Tech question) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Will this work? (Tech question)

KING-PIN
12-16-2008, 15:37
So, I'm looking to connect my XBOX 360 to the internet via a wireless connection. I won't be running it through a router, but directly connecting it to the internet via a wireless broadband card for use on XBOX live. It is the unlimited broadband card available from Cricket wireless.

My question is this: Can I plug the wireless card into the USB port on the back of the XBOX and connect it to the internet that way? I believe it will work because it is an active internet connection, but I don't know if the XBOX will automatically use that port for the internet or not.

Any helpful answers are greatly appreciated.

:wavey:

UncleLuke
12-16-2008, 15:54
2 things..

Without modding your 360, you will need to purchase a MS XBOX 360 wireless card.

You will also need a wireless router, unless your broadband modem is a hybrid meaning modem and wireless router in one, kinda rare.

So, to go that path you will need the 360 card ~$80 and a wireless router ~$50

A lot to pick up IMO, any questions?

Crypsis
12-16-2008, 16:01
My Xbox is wireless. $99 attachment, but it needs to connect to my wireless router $120. I don't see how you can connect to the high speed coax or to the modems RJ-45 without a router broadcasting the signal. I am not an expert though, so the solution may be out there.

KING-PIN
12-16-2008, 16:03
2 things..

Without modding your 360, you will need to purchase a MS XBOX 360 wireless card.

You will also need a wireless router, unless your broadband modem is a hybrid meaning modem and wireless router in one, kinda rare.

So, to go that path you will need the 360 card ~$80 and a wireless router ~$50

A lot to pick up IMO, any questions?

Well, I was thinking that since you can just plug it into a laptop computer and connect to the internet, that that would be true for the xbox as well. So, thats not the case? Keep in mind, I'm nowhere even close to an expert at this so bare with me.

michaeljordanrocks
12-16-2008, 16:15
As a computer nerd, I can tell you that it should not work. Aircards typically require you to use software to get the cards up and running every time that you boot the computer. Therefore, the only way that I could see this working is if you can get an Aircard that does not require any special software to be running.

cs133atom
12-16-2008, 16:19
Cricket is cellular broadband and requires an operating system to install its operating environment and set its IP stack to communicate. It will not work plugged directly into the Xbox. You can plug it into a PC and use Internet Connection Sharing perhaps to make it work, but that would take some work. Just my 2c

pjrocco
12-16-2008, 16:19
As a computer nerd, I can tell you that it should not work. Aircards typically require you to use software to get the cards up and running every time that you boot the computer. Therefore, the only way that I could see this working is if you can get an Aircard that does not require any special software to be running.

Exactly, the only "card" that is compatible with the 360 is this one:

http://news.softpedia.com/images/news2/Free-Xbox-360-Wireless-Adapter-From-BT-Total-Broadband-2.jpg

You can get them for around $50 - $60 brand new.

KING-PIN
12-16-2008, 16:23
Well, crap. Ok guys, thanks for the help.

COMplex
12-16-2008, 16:28
Well, I was thinking that since you can just plug it into a laptop computer and connect to the internet, that that would be true for the xbox as well. So, thats not the case? Keep in mind, I'm nowhere even close to an expert at this so bare with me.

The XBOX will not recognize the WWAN card. Your closest bet would be to purchase the xbox wifi card, and then purchase a wireless router that supports WWAN cards (in PC Card format, not USB)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127223&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Network+-+Wireless+Routers-_-D-Link-_-33127223

podwich
12-17-2008, 01:15
Get a router that supports the cell card, then plug the 360 in via wired Ethernet.