Hard drive info please. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hard drive info please.

XBFLAT
12-16-2008, 18:49
I have two HD's on my puter. I want to copy (not transfer) all data from one to the other. Do I have to get software to do that?
C: drive is 30G, F: drive is 80G.

Can I do it without spending any money?

Thanks.

Dandapani
12-16-2008, 19:03
http://commandwindows.com/xcopy.htm

CRANKLIN
12-16-2008, 19:54
problem with xcopy is that there is a 8-bit limit... so if you have long filenames, they will get truncated on the destination drive.

What are you copying for? Is it purely for backup? Why not just do a drag & drop?

XBFLAT
12-16-2008, 20:18
problem with xcopy is that there is a 8-bit limit... so if you have long filenames, they will get truncated on the destination drive.

What are you copying for? Is it purely for backup? Why not just do a drag & drop?

I want to copy everything from C to F just incase something should happen to the primary. I don't use the other drive at all. It's got some data on it, but not much.

Drag and drop? Could I do this, but more importantly how?:dunno:

DoubleWide
12-16-2008, 20:27
Data - you can just copy and paste
If you're trying move programs and Windows, yuck.
I'd prefer not to do it.

Cost of programs could be spent on a new hard drive and you could do a fresh install.

Otherwise, I'd say get a program that can make and resize partitions and another one that could ghost the first drive.

XBFLAT
12-16-2008, 20:42
Mainly I want save my favorites, doc's, pictures, music etc. so if something should happen to the C drive, I can transfer those folders back to the new one.

I'm not exactly computer illiterate (close), but I've never done this before.

Thanks for any suggestions.

CRANKLIN
12-16-2008, 21:58
just fire up windows explorer and highlight the files. Copy it (ctrl-C or use the right-click menu options). Go to the destination drive/folder and paste it (ctrl-V or use the right-click menu options).

IndyGunFreak
12-17-2008, 05:30
just fire up windows explorer and highlight the files. Copy it (ctrl-C or use the right-click menu options). Go to the destination drive/folder and paste it (ctrl-V or use the right-click menu options).

I've backed up like this for years, never a problem. Backing up entire programs, has never worked well for me.

XBFLAT
12-17-2008, 09:44
Thanks guys. The copy and paste worked great.

Pierre!
12-17-2008, 11:48
You can also use RoboCopy - Great App, and now there is a GUI for it as well...

Lots better than XCOPY, and faster that drag n drop...

Check it out... it is a free MS utility!