I was initiated last night... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I was initiated last night...

Oldskoolfan
12-16-2008, 19:59
I was finally made a Free Mason last night. I am excited and I plan to start working on my degrees. I am ecstatic and will be posting more in hopes of gaining some insight.

I was just initiated but had a quick question. I am now an Apprentice Mason, correct? I guess I would like to know if that is the correct term? Either way I have been reading my catechism and hope to take my next degree in January or February.

deputy tom
12-16-2008, 20:49
PM sent.tom.:milestone:

21 shooter
12-16-2008, 21:12
Continue on your journey, it is an excellent one.

Oldskoolfan
12-16-2008, 22:39
Thanks brothers. I am honored to be a part of this fraternity.

If I have any questions I will ask for people I can PM.

Oldskoolfan
12-20-2008, 03:39
Tomorrow I will be meeting with my instructor and start pursuing my 2nd degree. I have been looking over the Catechism's and learning. Once again, I would like to thank all of you for the guidance and advice I have recieved, especially from Brother Deputy Tom and Brother Jetboatdriver.

This is going to sound silly, but I do believe we refer to eachotehr as brothers? Or is there another correct way to refer to eachother?

ditch_digger
12-20-2008, 05:09
You are correct, brother it is. Congrats on being initiated & I wish you the best. Add me to your PM list if you like, I would also be happy to help our new brother.

ditch_digger

deputy tom
12-20-2008, 16:13
Oldskoolfan,Brother is the correct term at this juncture.As per our PM your avitar is the right one too.tom.

Oldskoolfan
12-20-2008, 19:29
Thank you. I met with my instructor today and we stat for a few hours discussing Masonry. I am very eager and excited to be embarking on this journey. I will be going to my first lodge meeting since my initiation this Monday. I am very excited.

grecco
12-20-2008, 19:31
Congrats and welcome Brother!
-Bro.G

deputy tom
12-20-2008, 19:32
I can understand your feelings.I did this same thing thirty years ago and it seems like yesterday.tom.:cool:

ArodJohns
12-20-2008, 20:21
By all means, add me to your list as well. :)

As the other well informed brethren have noted, Brother is the correct way to address someone in Lodge. Although, as you go along you'll be introduced to other titles.

Notrega
12-20-2008, 20:49
congratulations... you can add me to the PM list as well...

Javelin
12-20-2008, 22:42
Congratulations! Now start memorizing....

LOL

:wavey:

Oldskoolfan
12-21-2008, 03:29
Already started memorizing. Any suggestions to help?

ditch_digger
12-21-2008, 07:52
Go somewhere you can read it out loud to yourself. And if you mess up on a word, start the entire paragraph over. Repetition is the key for me, plus your Lodge will have many opportunities for you to attend practice sessions. Our new brothers don't actually meet with a single set instructor, we hold practices every Thursday night and break into different groups as needed.

Just remember, don't get frustrated, the more you work at it the easier it will become.

ditch_digger

lethal tupperwa
12-21-2008, 08:02
Heed the WORDS of your obligation.

Fire_Medic
12-21-2008, 19:50
Welcome Brother, feel free to PM me as well anytime. :wavey:

Oldskoolfan
12-22-2008, 02:17
Once again thanks. I have started doing the memorization thing and started trying to commit it to memory.

My instructor and fellow lodge members are very understanding. I just had surgery on my ACL and will be going home to spend the holidays with my parents and family. I will miss a meeting and not be able to study with my instructor until January. I am very honored that I am not a brother.

Once again thanks for all of the support and offers of assistance.
Either way

mmsig229
12-27-2008, 03:45
Feel free to PM me anytime also Brother. I'm a PM (Past Master) of my Lodge. The way I learned Lectures and Charges was through repetition. A PM once asked me if I could learn a setence. I said yes. Can you learn a paragraph?? I again said yes. Can you learn a page??? Hmmm...yes...Then you can learn a Lecture!!!!The key is to learn the words properly from the start. If you learn a word wrong at the start, it's hard to relearn it properly. Good luck!!!

lethal tupperwa
12-27-2008, 08:15
Maybe my state was different but what reading materials are you memorizing?

Oldskoolfan
12-27-2008, 17:25

A little orange booklet called First Degree Catechism.

machinisttx
12-28-2008, 23:23

Things vary a lot from state to state. Some states don't require any memory work at all, others are fine with cypher books, some(like TX) are strictly mouth to ear.

Congrats to the OP. :wavey:

Harley Rider 1955
12-30-2008, 03:10
Congrats Brother
I'm Past Master of my Lodge.

MarcoPolo
01-01-2009, 12:57
Congrats BROTHER!

Just pay attention to WORDS in the degree work. Notice when words change... never be afraid to ask questions!

(BTW, if you understand WHY certain words are used, it can make memory work easier)

ruralpatrol
01-01-2009, 21:35
congrats & welcome to the fraternity.

jbirds1210
01-02-2009, 20:53
Congrats on your initiation. I agree with the other Brothers that suggest doing more than only memorizing your work. There are beautiful lessons that you can discover throughout the rest of your life.

Jason

Oldskoolfan
01-02-2009, 22:17
Congrats BROTHER!

Just pay attention to WORDS in the degree work. Notice when words change... never be afraid to ask questions!

(BTW, if you understand WHY certain words are used, it can make memory work easier)

What do you mean by certain words?

With the holidays and the surgery I had (my ACL was torn) I have been busy and unable to walk around much. I get to attend my first Lodge Meeting on the 12th, and I am very excited. Either way, I want to thank everyone once again for the support.

Harley Rider 1955
01-26-2009, 00:09
I was finally made a Free Mason last night. I am excited and I plan to start working on my degrees. I am ecstatic and will be posting more in hopes of gaining some insight.

I was just initiated but had a quick question. I am now an Apprentice Mason, correct? I guess I would like to know if that is the correct term? Either way I have been reading my catechism and hope to take my next degree in January or February.
Congrats brother! Your memory work may seem overpowering at first, but it gets easier as you learn how to study.
You've completed the first step of a great journey...enjoy it.

Spiffums
01-28-2009, 17:24
Don't memorize it. Learn it. If you are youngish, you will want to go further and help others with their works.

Get a good teacher or 2 and enjoy it.

Harley Rider 1955
01-29-2009, 01:17
Don't memorize it. Learn it. If you are youngish, you will want to go further and help others with their works.

Get a good teacher or 2 and enjoy it.

I agree with Spiffums about learning the material. Absorb it, contemplate it, learn to live it. I use the term "memory work" out of habit. While it's true you are commiting something to memory. Ask questions if you're unsure of the meaning of something. Does not an Entered Apprentice yearn to learn more? Be patient and you will learn.

Spiffums
01-29-2009, 05:21
Also after your 3rd, if you can watch a performance of a 3rd degree as done in Georgia go see it. They did the Cave degree here the year I went..... It was eye opening to say the least.

Cave Degree is a regional event here where they have hold lodge in a cave and have a performance of a degree in full dress like you see on the history channel.

GeorgiaReb
02-07-2009, 18:44
Welcome to this new brother, I wish you the best on this journey. Here in Georgia we're like Texas, word of mouth only, either way, it requires dedication and commitment.

lethal tupperwa
02-07-2009, 21:48
does Georgia still do one on top of Stone Mountain?

JCinGA
02-07-2009, 21:49
delete

JCinGA
02-07-2009, 22:05
Brother,congrats & welcome to the fraternity.

JCinGA
02-07-2009, 22:14
Don't forget The Wool Hat Boys or Solomons #1Lodge in Savannah and the quarry in north Georgia. All very interesting to see.

JackedGLOCK
01-10-2011, 01:06
I put in my petition a few weeks ago with the required signatures.. Hoping to hear from them soon.. Looking forward to being a future Brother.

Batesmotel
01-10-2011, 19:24
Cave Degree is a regional event here where they have hold lodge in a cave and have a performance of a degree in full dress like you see on the history channel.

Those sort of degrees are fun. We hold the "Rubbish of the Temple" degree. An MM done in the unfinished side of the Ogden Utah temple. The auditorium was never completed and makes for an interesting MM degree.