My brother thinks I can help [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : My brother thinks I can help

Dr. Leaky
12-17-2008, 09:59
I need some advice so I can help my brother who just doesn't get the whole computer thing. I got a call from him saying that when his McAfee program is loading updates his system gets so slow that he can't do anything until it's done - usually at least 20 minutes. He's getting ready to get rid of the computer if it stays like this.

I asked what he is running: Windows XP, IE-7 and BOTH McAfee and Norton. I'm thinking that he should get rid of one of the anti-virus programs (I've never used Norton and have heard bad things about it interfering with everything else on your system).

So here's what I think I should do: Uninstall the Norton program and load Firefox instead of IE. Does this sound like it should work? Any other suggestions? He said his spyware program is up to date (I forgot which he said he was using), and I can't think of anything else that would slow his system down like this.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

IndyGunFreak
12-17-2008, 10:04
I'm thinking he should get rid of McAfee AND Norton, and install Avast.

IGF

4TS&W
12-17-2008, 10:04
Baby steps.

Try removing norton first. See if it improves. Make sure he clears history, cookies, temp files etc. Run a defrag. Reboot, and see if it is faster.

Then you can move on to other stuff like firefox.

He may just have an old PC that has a cluttered registry. At that point, he may want to save everything he wants to keep, and reinstall the original software, wiping the drive clean. He can also look at installing RAM for better performance.

havensal
12-17-2008, 11:11
I'm thinking he should get rid of McAfee AND Norton, and install Avast.

IGF

+1, or AVG

Baby steps.

Try removing norton first. See if it improves. Make sure he clears history, cookies, temp files etc. Run a defrag. Reboot, and see if it is faster.

Then you can move on to other stuff like firefox.

He may just have an old PC that has a cluttered registry. At that point, he may want to save everything he wants to keep, and reinstall the original software, wiping the drive clean. He can also look at installing RAM for better performance.

Probably a better plan. Too much too fast may push him over the edge. :wavey:

srhoades
12-17-2008, 11:15
He needs to remove at least one, although I too recommend getting rid of both and getting Avast or AVG. Running two anti-virus programs simultaneously is a big no-no.

Bevo1
12-17-2008, 11:49
OK, here's another question on same topic. I have AVAST and AVG running. If I should only run one, which one is best? Do I have to uninstall one, or just stop running it? I have never heard that it is bad to run two, and my way of thinking was one is great, two is better. I am also very computer illiterate :wavey:
I have a 3 year old computer and when it updates, my computer crawls, but it only lasts about 30 seconds.

srhoades
12-17-2008, 12:11
I persoanall prefer AVG but this is like the age old Ford vs Chevy debate. Pick one, uninstall the other. Competing anti-virus progams can cause false positives, completly miss other viruses, and case system slowdown.

Pierre!
12-17-2008, 12:45
Best practices says only ONE of a kind at a time... however, you should understand that anything that is "active" and/or "scanning" will degrade system performance, and more is NOT merrier in this case.

I have successfuly deployed Spybot SD 1.6 and AVG on many computers with minimal issues... it is when you encounter an AntiVirus "Suite" and another competing AntiVirus product that you really see massive system degredation... and frequently corruption of files.

Get down to one AV product installed. Then get a malware scanner or two installed, but "inactive". Now setup a malware scan 6 to 12 hours after your daily AV scanner completes. Leave your system on 2 to 4 times a week, depending on the amount of time you are on the internet...

That should help the speed and resource abuse. You can also schedule DeFrag operations when needed...

HTH

DoubleWide
12-17-2008, 17:57
Tell him, it's hosed and you'll get rid of it for him. Format and tada - new computer for you. If you're in a giving mood, sell it back to him. :whistling:

I don't understand why people will buy a new computer but won't format and reinstall.

Uninstall one antivirus program.
Do an online virus scan. Installed anti-virus could have been compromised already.
Check for adware.
Defrag.
Run MSCONFIG and do selective startup and unselect a lot of the crap that starts up automatically.

Definitely prefer the format and reinstall on a messed up computer.