Question about classroom space for Instructors [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Question about classroom space for Instructors

NoSuchStudios
12-18-2008, 08:24
Hey All,

I'm an NRA Certified Pistol Instructor. I've just recently taken to formalizing a business around instruction and i'm trying (without much luck) to find an affordable training space for my students in the Northern Virginia area. I've taught classes at homes and ranges but i'd like to find a good place to hold larger classes that's a bit more comfortable and formal.

It seems everyone charges an arm and a leg...at least the locations i've found that rent conference rooms and the like.

Any help or ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks all.
NoSuch

Fungunner
12-18-2008, 09:52
The guy I took my CCW class with, does some of his classes at the local gun shows. In my particular case, it was at the Dale City VFW hall. They have a conference room on the side, which was big enough to accomodate the 10 or so people in our class, with extra room left over.

Maybe get in touch with the guy who is opening the new range in Woodbridge, perhaps you can work out some relationship with them. I also hear Guns and Ammo in Manassas has classrooms, with their expansion, maybe you could work out an arrangement with them.

Olivers_AR
12-18-2008, 10:10
The NRA site lists upcoming classes, so you might want to see what it takes to get on the list(s). They also has space at the NRA range, don't know how much it costs.

If you teaching a home defense or self defense class, where no firearms handling is involved, you might be able to use community centers/meeting rooms (Reston, Herndon, etc) space.

Depending on how your setting up the business model, being an independent instructor for ranges and using their facilites might be an option. Yes you'll give up part of the profit, but they have the space, advertising, and will collect the money/book classes. All you have to do is teach :cool:

The last one is a long-shot, but again it depends on your model, I drive around NoVA, and there is a ton of empty office and strip mall space open due to the economy. You might be able to make a deal with the property owner or real estate companies for short -term lease. May want to postition it as self-defense classes to the owners/real estate agents. Especially if your only teaching the classroom portion there, and doing the rangework elsewhere.

Aroooo
12-19-2008, 06:37
I have the same problem. Some of my fellow TC's are trying to work up a viable plan. Things are just so expensive in the NoVA area...

NoSuchStudios
12-19-2008, 07:55
I've done a little more research and i'm hopeful that i may be near a solution. I will post an update if one of the leads works out and would be useful for my fellow VA instructors. maybe some kind soul out there would rent out an affordable space we all could use.

...fingers crossed...

NoSuchStudios
12-26-2008, 07:23
Hello again all,

Seems the space i just posted about fell back into the really expensive range...i thought i could lock in a per diem rate but seems to no longer be the case... so i continue on my quest

Hope you all had a wonderful holiday.

Regards,
Jason
NoSuch

Aroooo
12-26-2008, 09:22
Hello again all,

Seems the space i just posted about fell back into the really expensive range...i thought i could lock in a per diem rate but seems to no longer be the case... so i continue on my quest

Hope you all had a wonderful holiday.

Regards,
Jason
NoSuch

Too bad, it sounded like it had some promise.

NoSuchStudios
01-03-2009, 07:55
Still working....still hitting walls....

Any thoughts out there?

Hope all of you are well.

Regards
NoSuch

NoSuchStudios
01-24-2009, 11:54
Hello again all.

Got a question to pose to all you Norther Virginia Instructors. I've got a lead on a reasonably prices conference room and office in Old Town Manassas, only issue at the moment is the cost is a bit more than my class load will allow for.

My question is this, are there any instructors that would be interested in using the space? I'm flexible on working out a per use arrangement. The only issue currently is being able to get other classes in there to offset the cost. If i can get one or two other instructors to informally agree to a class or two a month then i can move forward and rent the space.

If anyone's interested please contact me directly and we can discuss some options more in depth. jason.byrd@fftcenters.com

Thanks for your time and regards to you all.

Jason
NoSuch