Anybody got a good meatloaf recipe? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anybody got a good meatloaf recipe?

alphacat
12-18-2008, 12:04
The one I'm using now calls for oatmeal.

I don't remember my Mom ever putting oatmeal in her meatloaf. I know I should have paid more attention to what she was telling me when I was a kid growing up, it's to late now....darn it.

Dalton Wayne
12-18-2008, 12:09
I switch out the ketchup for BBQ sauce, meat loaf made with BBQ sauce is great

Mild Bill
12-18-2008, 13:28
I add the regular seasonings and maybe some Lipton Onion Soup Mix---- but a few things I do that put my loafage over the top are:

I soak toasted & cubed good bread in half & half and fold it in...
I add cubed pieces of sharp Provolone... (pieces on the outsides get brown and toasty)
I fold in a few quartered prunes... (They contribute a creamy sweet bonus)
Grated Parm mixed in...

Ketchup painted on top which becomes a sticky caramelized glaze...

:beer:

alphacat
12-18-2008, 21:46
I though I'd swap out the oatmeal for bread crumbs.. and maybe try the BBQ thing.. I read about cheese somewhere else. I like the idea of Provolone, that sounds good.
I'm off to the store for more supplies.

Thanks for the ideas.

gruntmedik
01-06-2009, 07:59
Try using salsa with the ketchup.

Aquanewt
01-16-2009, 00:21
Mrs AQ always puts some oatmeal in hers. BBQ Sauce as well. #1 son sent his bride to be over to the house to 'help' last time the boss made it so she would know how it was done. My future daughter in law is a vegetarian but it not adamant about it and will cook as need be for my son. It's one of his favorites.

Harley Rider 1955
01-16-2009, 00:43
Try crushing up Ritz crackers and using that instead of bread crumbs. It has a nice buttery flavor.

AnalogKid
01-26-2009, 12:05
Never understood the oatmeal thing. #1 use both ground beef AND ground pork. #2 use either white bread pieces (crust removed) soaked in water or milk and/or bread crumbs. Recently made meatloaf using Panko bread crumbs, turned out great! Again, forget the oatmeal as that's just wrong on many, many levels.

Sluf01
01-27-2009, 13:18
Crackers crushed up and a egg or two added in the mixing doesn't hurt either.. Put some bacon on top when baking the loaf.. Yummmmm..