Mac and Startup Programs [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Mac and Startup Programs

Toyman
12-18-2008, 12:20
My son installed World of Warcraft on the mac. Each time the computer boots, it launches the stupid game. How do I take it out of the startup sequence? :crying:

noway
12-18-2008, 14:16
click on your HDD icon and find the folder called startup items. It should be under the application folder.

Look in it for the game.

Toyman
12-18-2008, 14:35
Hmmm, I'm not a mac guy, but I did a finder search for "startup" based from "Computer" and the only thing in StartupItems is parallels. (This machine is used for testing stuff in VM's and playing stuff in iTunes.)

I've right clicked on the WOW icon in the dock, "Open At Login" is NOT checked.
I tried removing it from the dock altogether, it still started up on a reboot.

Toyman
12-18-2008, 15:24
I found it. It was in my Account settings, under Login Items

Green_Manelishi
12-19-2008, 10:50
My son installed World of Warcraft on the mac. Each time the computer boots, it launches the stupid game. How do I take it out of the startup sequence? :crying:

After you remove the game from startup, remove it from the Mac, then remove the Mac from access by your son.

Toyman
12-19-2008, 10:56
After you remove the game from startup, remove it from the Mac, then remove the Mac from access by your son.

LOL Yeah. The Mac is just one of my test machines for running stuff in VM's and playing music. My primary machines are Windows boxes since I write software for Windows.

Green_Manelishi
12-19-2008, 12:18
LOL Yeah. The Mac is just one of my test machines for running stuff in VM's and playing music. My primary machines are Windows boxes since I write software for Windows.

I hope your software for windose is more stable than MS software. :wow:
Out of curiousity, what type of SW do you write for Windose?

Toyman
12-19-2008, 12:28
I hope your software for windose is more stable than MS software. :wow:
Out of curiousity, what type of SW do you write for Windose?

I write web site editing/utilities and some other things for CoffeeCup.com and video chat software for icuii.com

noway
12-20-2008, 10:15

or

Just create an user for the son and change admin password so he can't install anything.

You do know MACOSX is a multi-user OS ;)

Green_Manelishi
12-24-2008, 13:50
or

Just create an user for the son and change admin password so he can't install anything.

You do know MACOSX is a multi-user OS ;)

I do. I have one. So is "windose" a multiple user system; I have 3 of those. However, when a user, especially a child who installs games, abuses the system it's best to deny them access rather than try to restrict their privs.