Tn DOS sneaks in back door gun registration [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Tn DOS sneaks in back door gun registration

Tennessee Slim
12-18-2008, 13:31
From the NRA-ILA:

Tennessee Department of Safety (TDOS) Implements
De Facto Gun Registration Scheme!
Please Stand-Up and Make Your Voices Heard!

The Tennessee Department of Safety (TDOS) is currently sending letters to all firearms instructors requiring them to complete and return a copy of a Handgun Safety School Class Roster within 24 hours of the completion of a handgun permit certification class, “effective immediately.”

This new roster requires a student to provide information concerning the name of the firearm owner, the name of the student using the firearm, as well as the make, model, and serial number of firearms used. Currently, there are no statutes that authorize the TDOS to collect or require this information. Simply put, this is a backdoor, de facto gun registration scheme! Remember, registration is the first step to potential firearms confiscations.

To view a version of the roster form, please click here (http://www.state.tn.us/safety/forms/HGschoolroster200862408.pdf).

It is imperative that Tennessee’s law abiding gun owners stand-up and voice their opposition to this gun registration plot. Please contact the Tennessee Department of Safety and your State Legislators TODAY and respectfully let them know that you oppose the need and use of these rosters. The Tennessee Department of Safety can be reached by phone at (615) 253-5221 or toll-free at 866-849-3548. To find contact information for your State Legislators, please click here (http://www.capwiz.com/nra/state/main/?state=TN&view=myofficials).

Or go here (http://www.congress.org/congressorg/directory/congdir.tt) to get contact information for your Tennessee Legislators.

Douglas in CT
12-18-2008, 14:00
BUMP!!!:steamed:

user
12-18-2008, 14:05
What's their authority for that? Why not simply ignore the request?

mad.gunsmith
12-18-2008, 14:14
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Well I think that for now on all the student are going to be using a rented gun at the range <o:p></o:p>

ecmills
12-18-2008, 19:39
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Well I think that for now on all the student are going to be using a rented gun at the range <o:p></o:p>
That's not the point. If you're on the list, you bought a gun, and own a gun, because you wanted a permit to carry a gun.

So if there's a mandatory total gun confiscation law enacted someday... See where these guys are going with this?

Tennessee Slim
12-19-2008, 06:06
I E-mailed the office of my state senator yesterday, asking she identify the individual responsible for this attempt to circumvent the legitimate law-making process and have them drawn and quartered. One of her staffers responded and the relevant portion is excerpted below:

The Dept. of Safety has been contacted by legislative staff and Lisa Knight, the Director of the Handgun Permit Department has assured us they will be revising the form in question to address the concerns many constituents are having. Some of the detailed information such as serial number will be omitted to better protect the privacy of handgun carriers.

Please see the following statement from Lisa Knight, to be followed by a formal statement:

"We are removing the serial # off the form as well as the part of the form that ask who owned the gun. The roster will still be required to show the students name, signature, TN Driver license number, test scores, certificate number and the date the class was completed."

I am sure that Senator Beavers will be looking closer into this change.

Patti Saliba
Senator Mae Beavers's Office
Chairman of Judiciary Committee

Mae is a stand-up guy and an instinctual supporter of 2A.

mad.gunsmith
12-19-2008, 06:57
That's not the point. If you're on the list, you bought a gun, and own a gun, because you wanted a permit to carry a gun.

So if there's a mandatory total gun confiscation law enacted someday... See where these guys are going with this?

Not really at lest here there is allot of people that get the license and they donown a gun <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
or for example <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:State><st1:place>Texas</st1:place></st1:State> license are ether SA semi-auto or NSA no semi-auto<o:p></o:p>
So if i only have a revolver i can still get mi license for SA rent a SA and late if i prefer I ca buy one <o:p></o:p>
it is not require that you own a gun to be able to have a license <o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
my wife can be another example she doesn’t own a gun and has a CHL<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
so what I'm saying is that with out braking the law I would strongly recommend all my student to rent a pistol form the range :whistling:<o:p></o:p>

Tennessee Slim
12-19-2008, 18:44
The point is that some dimwitted civil servant -- not a dimwitted (and elected) state legislator -- decided that Tennessee needed a firearms registration law and he/she unilaterally would create one by making a change to the state's HCP class enrollment form.

Proof once again that many Tennessee women (Mae Beavers and Marsha Blackburn, for two) have bigger NADS than any metrosexual "man" (pardon the pun) from a blue state.

Ryobi
01-04-2009, 06:13
This was already addressed in another thread, one which you posted in. The form, which was linked in the previous thread, has no mention whatsoever of serial numbers, etc. Much ado about nothing. The class roster was always required, but some instructors were forgetting to send them in. Yes, the NRA sent an incorrect and inflammatory mailing, but it was based on rumor, not fact. I'm suprised that the OP would start a thread on something that had already been put to bed.

DOC44
01-04-2009, 06:27
This was already addressed in another thread, one which you posted in. The form, which was linked in the previous thread, has no mention whatsoever of serial numbers, etc. Much ado about nothing. The class roster was always required, but some instructors were forgetting to send them in. Yes, the NRA sent an incorrect and inflammatory mailing, but it was based on rumor, not fact. I'm suprised that the OP would start a thread on something that had already been put to bed.

One has to inspect what they expect.... Lip service sux.:whistling:

Doc44

Ryobi
01-04-2009, 06:46
True. I believed the NRA blurb when I first read it, until I actually went to the DOS document. Instructors were basically screwing their students by not sending in their class rosters. Nothing new, and nothing to do with serial numbers or gun registration.

Bill Lumberg
01-08-2009, 19:27
Much ado about nothing. True. I believed the NRA blurb when I first read it, until I actually went to the DOS document. Instructors were basically screwing their students by not sending in their class rosters. Nothing new, and nothing to do with serial numbers or gun registration.

Fallguy
01-09-2009, 07:29
True. I believed the NRA blurb when I first read it, until I actually went to the DOS document. Instructors were basically screwing their students by not sending in their class rosters. Nothing new, and nothing to do with serial numbers or gun registration.

Actually I think the biggest problem (or at least what the DOS thought was) is instructors were giving certificates to those that didn't actually take the class. Then they would just wait and add that persons name to a later class roster and send it in.

I agree it really had nothing to do with an attempt to register guns....but it could have round aboutly had that effect. I personally don't think they need to record any information about the handgun you use.

hikerpaddler
01-10-2009, 07:06
That's just it- the form mandated does not have serial numbers or other unique identifiers about the weapon. I thought it did, and I've seen instructors use homemade forms that did, but the state ccw class roster does not.