eMail program suggestions -- WinXP [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : eMail program suggestions -- WinXP

Thirties
12-19-2008, 07:26
I am using Firefox (don't want to change) and Thunderbird (latest version). I'm looking to adopt a different email application (Outlook Express, Eudora, another). I've only used T'bird, so i'm not familiar with the others.

Can anyone who is familiar with all email programs running on winXP please give my an opinion on which is the better choice.

Thanks.

gwalchmai
12-19-2008, 14:06
I've tried most of the POP based "consumer" email clients, and I have to use Outlook at work, but I haven't found anything better than T-bird for what it does.

Thirties
12-19-2008, 19:45
My only problem with tbird is the fact that it is so difficult to back up & restore data (address book and files). Other than that, it's fine.

gwalchmai
12-19-2008, 19:48
My only problem with tbird is the fact that it is so difficult to back up & restore data (address book and files). Other than that, it's fine.
Here ya go - the best Mozilla Backup program in the world Mozbackup (http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/) Backs up T-Bird and Firefox et al.

Easy as 3.14159

Carbonfly
12-19-2008, 20:55
I have all of my email accounts forwarded to Gmail. That way I can check them anywhere I go. Plus, you can setup gmail so that if you reply to an email that was forwared from another account, it still shows that you are responding from the original account (not the gmail account).

Plus you can convert docs straight from emails into google docs so that they are always handy. Google really does offer awesome services.....and it's FREE!

CRANKLIN
12-20-2008, 03:56
(al)pine, mutt. lol

IndyGunFreak
12-20-2008, 04:57
I switched to just using Gmail. I have email accounts on Hotmail, Yahoo AOL, and GMail. I find GMail by far the best. I used to access it w/ Evolution, then started using the web interface, and found I liked it better.

If I was going to use an email application, it would probably be Evolution, but I don't think it has a Windoze version... Its more or less a free Outlook, but I think its better than Outlook.

IGF

gwalchmai
12-20-2008, 06:02
I access my gmail accounts with T-Bird. ;)

Tennessee Slim
12-20-2008, 07:10
I access my gmail accounts with T-Bird. ;)
FreePOPs?

May I have a large container of coffee please?

gwalchmai
12-20-2008, 07:22
FreePOPs?

May I have a large container of coffee please?I just use the gmail POP3 service.

Sure, you can have all the coffee you can afford. And no tipping. :supergrin:

ki4dmh
12-20-2008, 07:55
As far as pulling e-mail off of a server I have not found anything better than T-bird. I have also found it hard to do a quick back up of contacts and e-mails I wanted to keep. Thanks gwalchmai for posting the backup software. I am going to give it a shot. I also have a yahoo, hotmail, and a g-mail account. I use the g-mail to store links and stuff I use at work.

Tennessee Slim
12-20-2008, 08:51
All that's necessary to back up your Thunderbird E-mails and address book is to copy the profiles folder. On my Eks Pee system, it's:
C:\Documents and Settings\Me\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles

CRANKLIN
12-20-2008, 16:50
I switched to just using Gmail. I have email accounts on Hotmail, Yahoo AOL, and GMail. I find GMail by far the best. I used to access it w/ Evolution, then started using the web interface, and found I liked it better.

If I was going to use an email application, it would probably be Evolution, but I don't think it has a Windoze version... Its more or less a free Outlook, but I think its better than Outlook.

IGF

Evolution has too many problems..... especially when configured for an exchange server. It's too bad there aren't really any exchange server alternatives. If the mail server is configured to allow imap or pop, thunderbird is hard to beat on linux.

gwalchmai
12-20-2008, 17:02
All that's necessary to back up your Thunderbird E-mails and address book is to copy the profiles folder. On my Eks Pee system, it's:
C:\Documents and Settings\Me\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles
Mozbackup makes it effortless.

IndyGunFreak
12-21-2008, 04:44
Evolution has too many problems..... especially when configured for an exchange server. It's too bad there aren't really any exchange server alternatives. If the mail server is configured to allow imap or pop, thunderbird is hard to beat on linux.

Eh, I guess for my needs.. it was fine. Like I said, I pretty much don't use mail clients anymore, so its irrelevant. :)

IGF

Patrick Graham
12-21-2008, 13:55
Another vote for using Gmail to read your pop mail instead of a local client.

You can send and recieve email from up to 5 pop3 accounts in your gmail account.

Tennessee Slim
12-22-2008, 08:23
Mozbackup makes it effortless.
"In the beginning was the command line, And God saw that it was good."
-- Thompson, Chapter 1, Verse 10