florida knife laws, and common pocket knifes [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : florida knife laws, and common pocket knifes

boarhunter
12-19-2008, 13:47
whats the real deal with the knife law here. I carry a emerson krambit clip knife everyday, and I can carry a switch blade with my CWP, but cant carry a butterfly knife. The law is very unclear, And left up up to the police officers. and some clip knife if there not a common pocket knife is a grey area also..

FlaChef
12-19-2008, 22:33
blade under 4" and no "cambat fetures" according to gutmacher in a q&a session at local pistol match.
"combat features" include...
assisted opening
a handguard
a camouflage pattern

I am not a lawer, i just asked one and that was several years ago, so take my $0.02 and please give me change back.

Florida conceale WEAPONS permit basicly means any bladed weapon as well as firearms to the best of my knowledge (you could go Duncan McLeoud if you could fiind the duster and wanted to wear it in the fl summers).

Usingmyrights
12-20-2008, 10:13
From my understanding. Any blade under 4" is OK under any circumstances excluding automatics. Anything bigger can't be concealed. A pocketclip knife thats not covered by a shirt is fine, still no automatics. With open carry, any blade size is legal. I won't say acceptable, but legal. For automatics or to conceal blades longer then 4" a CWP is needed.

When I was younger and dumber, I walked around occassionaly with a large, beast of a sheath knife, just because I could. I was probably 16 or 17 at the time, and was didn't mind lugging around a couple lbs of knife that was more ackward to use than my standard pocket knife.

itsnitro
12-20-2008, 10:39
790.225 Ballistic self-propelled knives; unlawful to manufacture, sell, or possess; forfeiture; penalty.--

(1) It is unlawful for any person to manufacture, display, sell, own, possess, or use a ballistic self-propelled knife which is a device that propels a knifelike blade as a projectile and which physically separates the blade from the device by means of a coil spring, elastic material, or compressed gas. A ballistic self-propelled knife is declared to be a dangerous or deadly weapon and a contraband item. It shall be subject to seizure and shall be disposed of as provided in s. 790.08 (http://www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch0790/Sec08.HTM)(1) and (6).

(2) This section shall not apply to:

(a) Any device from which a knifelike blade opens, where such blade remains physically integrated with the device when open.

(b) Any device which propels an arrow, a bolt, or a dart by means of any common bow, compound bow, crossbow, or underwater spear gun.

(3) Any person violating the provisions of subsection (1) is guilty of a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 (http://www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch0775/Sec082.HTM) or s. 775.083. (http://www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch0775/Sec083.HTM) <SMALL>
History.--s. 1, ch. 85-258; s. 178, ch. 91-224; s. 1, ch. 2003-82.

I do not see how an assisted opening knife would be against the law. the way I read it, is that as along as the blade stay's affixed to the handle you'll be ok. Yes the law is clear as mud but I don't see it being a problem of having an assisted opening knife.

I know some states outlaw them and they actually say that in their laws. It all depend's on how the officer perceives the law.... just my 2 cents.... I'm not a lawyer or an officer of the law.</SMALL>

rvrctyrngr
12-20-2008, 13:22
Florida knife laws blow just because they are so unclear...just sayin'.

boarhunter
12-20-2008, 13:53
Yes thats what im saying, the laws on blades realy are spooky, and so are the good officers that might raise hell with us.ive read and herd so much stuff on this it im thinking of just open carrying my K BAR its ok to have that straped on my side.....supergrin: just kidding! the law is one thing but the police officers judgement and feelings on some pocket knifes arent right. I sat in on some police meetings for street weapons and there are realy fixed on us not having some of these knifes on us.

Dandapani
12-20-2008, 14:23
Love my auto knife.

rvrctyrngr
12-20-2008, 14:35
Yes thats what im saying, the laws on blades realy are spooky, and so are the good officers that might raise hell with us.ive read and herd so much stuff on this it im thinking of just open carrying my K BAR its ok to have that straped on my side.....supergrin: just kidding! the law is one thing but the police officers judgement and feelings on some pocket knifes arent right. I sat in on some police meetings for street weapons and there are realy fixed on us not having some of these knifes on us.

Yeah, I know. Too much open to interpretation. I normally carry some sort of auto, no worries with a CWFL. If I happen to stop off to tip a couple with friends after work, I swap it out for a spyderco so I'm not sitting at the bar with a 'weapon'. Yeah...that 3.5 inch Benchmade auto is sooooooo much more deadly that that 3.5 inch Spyderco. Ridiculous.:steamed:

I'm happy that they allow us to HAVE autos, anywayz. Maybe I'll just start wearing a friggin' Claymore on my back, or a laserbeam on my friggin' head! :supergrin:

Mr. Blandings
12-20-2008, 14:40
boarhunter,

While Florida law is unclear on what is a "common pocketknife" or not - all that becomes moot once you have a CCW.

sarhog
12-20-2008, 14:49
So Others May Live
-US Navy Rescue Swimmer's Creed
Nice sig line...:cheers:

rvrctyrngr
12-20-2008, 18:28
Nice sig line...:cheers:

:cheers: backatcha, SrChief.

:patriot: