Concealed Carry Weapon for my Fiance [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Concealed Carry Weapon for my Fiance

LoomisGuy
12-22-2008, 12:40
Hey ladies,
my fiance has made the decision to get her Concealed Carry license and begin carrying regularly (and I was elated she made this decision).
Initially I though a G26 would be a good choice for her. But we went to the local shop, and the grip was too big for her. Primarily the grip was to long from the back of the hand grip to the finger grooves. (She is tiny, Five feet one inch 105 pounds) and consequently has tiny hands. The weapon will primarily be carried in her purse. I want a .380 or 9mm and was wondering what weapon you small handed ladies like?
Thanks in advance for your help.

allcd88
12-22-2008, 21:38
<------not a lady, but:

My wife chose the Walther PPS 9mm because her hand were too small for my glocks. It is a single stack and comes with two changeable back straps. One with more of a palm swell and the one shown with very little palm swell. She tried many, but as soon as she held it she fell in love. It fits her perfect and has turned out to be a very good handgun.

Pics. along with my G27.

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/958/dsc00027dt9.jpg
http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/1478/dsc00029fp1.jpg
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/9375/dsc00031qa5.jpg
http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/285/dsc00033ib9.jpg

Norman
12-22-2008, 21:43
Wow. That's much thinner!

<--- not a woman, but LET HER CHOOSE. You REALLY want her to carry it, not leave it at home because she doesn't truly love it.

allcd88
12-22-2008, 21:50
Wow. That's much thinner!

<--- not a woman, but LET HER CHOOSE. You REALLY want her to carry it, not leave it at home because she doesn't truly love it.

Correct
There is no way my wife would have let me pick a handgun for her, but I liked her PPS 9 so much I recently got a PPS 40.

<-----still not a lady :supergrin:

Norman
12-22-2008, 21:53
Correct

<-----still not a lady :supergrin:

:rofl:

Not even a little?

Where's the real wimmins at? :whistling:

April
12-22-2008, 22:15
As a "real wimmins" I'd like to point out that I carry a G26 in an MTAC around 3:30 :wavey:

Norman
12-22-2008, 22:24
As a "real wimmins" I'd like to point out that I carry a G26 in an MTAC around 3:30 :wavey:

You really ought to think about carrying the other 23:59 hours. :supergrin:

Walked into that one..

JimBianchi
12-22-2008, 22:26
Kahr MK9 or CW9 are both thin and easy to coneal and you rarely hear of anyone not liking these gun. I carry a MK9 most days jus becasue it disappears in my pocket, just the way I like. (And is dead-nuts reliable!)

But for the best point and shoot gun on the maket today with a small grip, I'd get a small Smith & Wesson revolver. Chambered in 38+p you will have 5 or 6 rounds (depends on the gun) of excellent firepower in an easy to conceal, easy to shoot, easy to hold package.

Take her to the range and have her try a few of the models.

Stick to 38+p, not 357Mag, make it easy on her!

allcd88
12-22-2008, 22:30
You really ought to think about carrying the other 23:59 hours. :supergrin:

Walked into that one..

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

allcd88
12-22-2008, 22:37
Kahr MK9 or CW9 are both thin and easy to coneal and you rarely hear of anyone not liking these gun. I carry a MK9 most days jus becasue it disappears in my pocket, just the way I like. (And is dead-nuts reliable!)

But for the best point and shoot gun on the maket today with a small grip, I'd get a small Smith & Wesson revolver. Chambered in 38+p you will have 5 or 6 rounds (depends on the gun) of excellent firepower in an easy to conceal, easy to shoot, easy to hold package.

Take her to the range and have her try a few of the models.

Stick to 38+p, not 357Mag, make it easy on her!

My wife tried the CW9 out and found it very hard to rack the slide but did like the feel and fit. She had no problems with the slide on the PPS.

She also liked the S&W 637. I had wanted one so I got one not long after she got her PPS. She doesn't like how snappy it is with +p's but shoots it well, but as I said she fell in love with the PPS so that is what she carries.

LoomisGuy
12-23-2008, 13:50
My wife tried the CW9 out and found it very hard to rack the slide but did like the feel and fit. She had no problems with the slide on the PPS.

Ya, I actually owned a CW9 and absolutely hated it. That is what I traded in when I got my 19. I don't know if I ended up with a bad model or what the story is, cause like someone above said most people love them, but mine frequently failed to extract or feed with all different kinds of ammo.

But thanks for the heads up on the Walther PPS, that looks really nice. We will probably go to the local range and let her shoot some .38 snubs and see what she thinks about those too.

Again, thanks to everyone for the helpful advice.

pistolmonkey
12-23-2008, 16:06
My wife carries the Kel Tec P3AT .380.

It's extremely easy for her to conceal it because of its size.

http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/images/big/p3AT_02.jpg

recoiljunkie
12-23-2008, 19:01
My wife also has the Walther PPS 9mm. I really like the handgun myself.

WI-Guy
12-28-2008, 14:34
My wife carries the Kel Tec P3AT .380.

It's extremely easy for her to conceal it because of its size.

http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/images/big/p3AT_02.jpg

Ditto on the easy to carry - P3AT in a Desantis Nemesis is smaller than most men's wallets.

HOWEVER - try shooting the sucker before relying on it. It takes a lot of wrist and finger strength to keep it on target. The grip is barely a finger and a half wide for a man and might be three fingers on a small handed woman.

And being so light, the second shot is tough after the gun has tried to fly away.

Make sure she is comfortable not only carrying it, but shooting it!

pistolmonkey
12-28-2008, 19:08
Ditto on the easy to carry - P3AT in a Desantis Nemesis is smaller than most men's wallets.

HOWEVER - try shooting the sucker before relying on it. It takes a lot of wrist and finger strength to keep it on target. The grip is barely a finger and a half wide for a man and might be three fingers on a small handed woman.

And being so light, the second shot is tough after the gun has tried to fly away.

Make sure she is comfortable not only carrying it, but shooting it!

Haha..I agree, it is a bugger to shoot! I don't enjoy shooting it with my larger hands, but the wife doesn't seem to have any issues with it, and as long as she can shoot it well, and will carry it. Then I'm HAPPY!

Roofuss
12-28-2008, 19:10
My wife tried several makes & models, and settled on a Taurus M85 .38 revolver with { Christmas present } a Crimson Trace laser , when she's happy, I'm happy !!!:rofl:

lilc
12-28-2008, 19:24
A slimline Glock 36 in .45 ACP is single stack and just a hair thinner in the grip frame than the Glock 26; it also has a steeper learning curve as you master its control compared to other Glocks.

A Beretta 3032 Tomcat in .32 Auto is thinner still. It's my girl's primary CCW. (She has small hands but also owns and sometimes carries a G26.) The Tomcat is well built, reliable, easy to maintain, and surprisingly accurate with a good feel in the hand and excellent recoil management. The only real down side is the minimal .32 cartridge.

A new late-generation Kel-Tec P-3AT in .380 Auto is by far the thinnest option -- as well as the lightest -- with 6+1 formidable little rounds on board. It is easy to carry all day, simple to conceal with almost any wardrobe, and (once broken in and tested with your carry ammo) highly reliable. That skinny grip frame and 9-oz weight give a pretty harsh bite when firing SD loads, but it is still a great little carry gun.

While I love my S&W J-frame revolvers in .38 Special , I love them more when they're fit with big, cushy Hogue boot grips. The minimalist stock hard rubber panels that maximize concealability on the dependable little 5-shooter do very little to help manage the recoil and muzzle flip you get with a hot .38 load, so I would be less inclined to recomment one of these revolvers to a slight shooter, even if the small grips would be a good fit for her small hands.

Javelin
12-28-2008, 19:26
If you pick her firearm you might as well throw your money in the street as she will not use it.

AND be supportive of her choice.

:wavey:

WI-Guy
12-28-2008, 20:58
Haha..I agree, it is a bugger to shoot! I don't enjoy shooting it with my larger hands, but the wife doesn't seem to have any issues with it, and as long as she can shoot it well, and will carry it. Then I'm HAPPY!

EXACTLY! If the owner / operator is able to carry, maintain and shoot it properly, it's all good!

WI-Guy
12-28-2008, 20:59
If you pick her firearm you might as well throw your money in the street as she will not use it.

AND be supportive of her choice.

:wavey:

EXACTLY! If the owner / operator is able to carry, maintain and shoot it properly, it's all good!

Ashton
12-28-2008, 22:04
If you rack the Kahr CW9 from a locked slide rather than a manual rack it should perform like clockwork. IMHO it's a very nice single stack and great for various carry configurations (IWB - very nice compared to a double stack). Break it in and with 7 + 1 it is a nice CCW or BUG. If you go to a second mag, wait for the locked slide and you are good to go. I traded a S&W M&P for theb single stack option and am very happy.

Cold_Dead_Hands
12-29-2008, 09:56
I just want to add .02 cents but I'm a little short..... oh well... here's .003 cents, If someone man or woman wants a carry weapon, expecially if they don't shoot a lot or are "new" with hand guns, a snub nose 38 is ideal in my thoughts. Simple, easy, vertually jam-free. This feature alone makes it a good choisce in a stressful situation.

jlhodnett
02-03-2009, 10:18
Bought my wife a SP101 cause she likes shooting her full frame .38. She doesn't shoot much and everyone suggested a small, not lightweight .38. They both have weight to absorb recoil and both are double action if she wants so she should like it...right. Well she likes it but she doesn't carry it. Her sister got a LCP and I saw her ( my wife's) eyes light up. Guess if she won't carry that I'll have no trouble selling it. Now I just gotta find one by valentines day...

Nebrcowgirl
02-04-2009, 21:45
I would find a Gun Show so she can see the guns and handle as many as she sees she likes.It the best place to look and feel.I prefer the revolver.I would carry the Coonans Arms if the price would ever come down.They are the best 357.in semi auto I have ever shot.Good luck in all of your adventures.

mfetty77
02-05-2009, 22:33
My fiance has a Charter Arms Pink Lady ordered. I would let her shoot bunch of different guns. Let her pick the one she likes best.

ernstblofeld
02-06-2009, 16:38
I took my wife shopping for hers, which gave her the chance to try a bunch of different ones. One of the issues for her was trouble racking the slide...especially with the Kahr. Dudes will spend a bunch of time dry firing, drawing and shooting at bad guys on tv - spending much time practicing the ins and outs of a semi-auto handgun.

She, however, will not. We ended up with with a S&W 642 (which was fine because I wanted one too :supergrin:).

My 2 cents...dunno if that helped at all.

Nicko
02-06-2009, 19:49
The wife likes the Bersa .380

copsgirl
02-08-2009, 09:41
By what means do most of you carry? In purse, pocket, holster, etc. If you use a holster, what type?

mrs_sra_chipmunk
02-17-2009, 16:09
By what means do most of you carry? In purse, pocket, holster, etc. If you use a holster, what type?

I bought a G27 and want to carry it in my purse. However, the conceal law here says it must be in a holster in the purse. I am currently in the market for a "purse holster". Right now I carry it in a holster, Blackhawk Serpas. It's an ok holster for most people but my hipbones stick out a lot and the holster with gun hits them. I don't feel comfortable moving the holster to my back either.

Nebrcowgirl
02-17-2009, 17:34
You don't say what size of purse you carry.I don't carry a purse,(I carry a truckers wallet with chain)so I carry a camera bag that houses the camera,my Ruger SP101 SS and 2 speed loaders.I always carry a Ruger GP100 SS on my dash of my truck.
What I would do is get a Uncle Mikes Inside-the-Pant Holster.Then I would cut the plastic belt clip off,and then slit the holster from the back sight to the front sight then you can draw your gun without any hang ups. And your gun is still in a holster legal.Maybe even sew holster inside purse?
Mikes web page is here http://www.uncle-mikes.com/index.htm
My sister uses a Mike's ankle holster,when packing, as she never can find what she is looking for in her big purse.

southernreign
02-17-2009, 18:36
You don't say what size of purse you carry.I don't carry a purse,(I carry a truckers wallet with chain)so I carry a camera bag that houses the camera,my Ruger SP101 SS and 2 speed loaders.I always carry a Ruger GP100 SS on my dash of my truck.
What I would do is get a Uncle Mikes Inside-the-Pant Holster.Then I would cut the plastic belt clip off,and then slit the holster from the back sight to the front sight then you can draw your gun without any hang ups. And your gun is still in a holster legal.Maybe even sew holster inside purse?
Mikes web page is here http://www.uncle-mikes.com/index.htm
My sister uses a Mike's ankle holster,when packing, as she never can find what she is looking for in her big purse.

I think purse carry is a BAD idea for women... it is the first thing BG ask for... Makes it hard to defend a robbery if they are asking you to hand over your pruse, or if they grag it from you.
Body carry is the BEST and safest way to carry.

Nebrcowgirl
02-18-2009, 06:51
Oh, I agree, but she said she wanted something to fit in her purse.I pack openly when in the truck.If I go into a place that looks bad,I slip my 357.snub nose in my front pocket.Where ever I go am packing ,I travel a lot.