Negligent discharge, Danville. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Negligent discharge, Danville.

SDGlock23
12-22-2008, 13:45
http://www.amnews.com/public_html/?module=displaystory&story_id=46594&format=html

Friday December 19, 2008

Danville man involved in accidental shooting

The son of a widely-known Danville veterinarian was the victim in an accidental shooting last weekend.

According to police, Patrick Godfrey, 21, was accidentally shot in the chin early Saturday when he, his brother Andrew, 23, and Andrew's girlfriend, Julie Ann Daniel, were examining a gun in an upstairs bedroom at the Godfrey family home at 520 Gentry Lane.

At 1:10 a.m., 911 received a call from the residence saying Patrick had accidentally been shot in the mouth. The caller reported Patrick to be conscious and breathing.

Boyle County Sheriff Deputy Al Isaacs responded to the scene along with Boyle County EMS.

According to Isaacs, the brothers and Daniel were in town for Christmas and had gathered in an upstairs bedroom belonging to one of the brothers. They were apparently looking at a gun - a Glock 40 - one of the brothers had gotten for Christmas.

Isaacs said it appears Daniel picked up the gun and asked the Godfrey brothers if they thought she needed a gun. They replied that a gun has to fit your grip.

Daniel then reportedly put her hand on the grip, inserting her finger into the trigger ring. Isaacs said because the Glock 40 has no safety, the weapon accidentally discharged, with the bullet hitting Patrick in the chin before lodging itself in a bedroom wall.

Patrick apparently remained conscious throughout the ordeal, and after being shot, he ran into a nearby bathroom, where he leaned over a double-basin sink and looked into the mirror, said Isaacs.

Isaacs said both Andrew and Daniel are certified paramedics, and were able to tend to Patrick until help arrived.

It was not until the deputy and Boyle County EMS came to the scene that Wyatt and Carolyn Godfrey, the parents of Andrew and Patrick, realized anything was wrong, as they did not hear the gunshot.

Patrick was taken to Ephraim McDowell Regional Medical Center and later transported to the University of Kentucky Chandler Medical Center, where he remains in stable condition.

Isaacs said it appears no charges will stem from the incident.

Patrick, a student at UK, is a 2005 graduate of Boyle County High School.
Copyright:The Advocate-Messenger 2008

Keoking
12-22-2008, 13:48
In this sort of situation, the blame needs to go on the person who left a loaded pistol in an unsecured condition/location. If this person was the guy who was shot, then karma is alive and well.

Ranger375
12-22-2008, 13:50
They are very lucky it wasn't worse.

SDGlock23
12-22-2008, 14:21
My aunt and uncle know these people, and my aunt said the bullet went in his chin from below, up through the mouth, and exited somewhere around the eye. I hear the pistol was bought for his girlfriend, who appears to have no experience with firearms, as she's the one who was holding the pistol.

Ranger375
12-22-2008, 14:26
Wow -- that will take some time to get over -- on both of their parts. I hope all ends up ok.

38 super comp
12-22-2008, 14:46
I have two Glock 40s and both came from the factory with safetys,,,,,,,,,,what am I missing.........???????:whistling:

Caimen1
12-22-2008, 15:15
Do you think I need a... BLAM!!!

B+Shooter
12-22-2008, 16:07
The GLOCK is a menace!!! No safety and it goes through metal detectors!

People that don't have 20 minutes to learn some basic gun safety are the real danger nowadays. While this was unfortunate, it was inevitable.

As Gordon Graham says, Predictable=Preventable

want2race441
12-22-2008, 16:43
Last time I checked, Glock does not make a model 40.

The gun went off because the trigger was pulled. We all know this, why doesn't anyone else.

Brock Morgan
12-22-2008, 18:26
Assuming that these fine folks have regular sleeping habits and so forth, I would have to say that nothing good will come from handling a firearm at that time of morning....and more importantly, nothing good will come from a group of folks sitting around handling a loaded firearm....I'm just sayin'...

Wonder if alcohol was a factor....

More brain cells, less show and tell, please. Those of us who try to be responsible do not need any more ammunition (pardon the pun) to be available for the gun-grabbers to use at their next meeting.

'Nuff said...

kevin mayfield
12-23-2008, 03:53
Is it me or when I show a gun I! make sure it is unloaded. But thats just me

Rikki
12-23-2008, 07:00
"said the bullet went in his chin from below, up through the mouth"

Add a woodchipper and we got FARGO!!!!

38 super comp
12-23-2008, 10:31

People that don't have 20 minutes to learn some basic gun safety are the real danger nowadays. While this was unfortunate, it was inevitable.

:rofl:It goes through metal detectors:tongueout:

Jdog
12-23-2008, 11:10
gotta love how an "accidental discharge" is defined as a PERSON PULLING THE TRIGGER

(darwin tried to clear out the gene pool and almost succeeded)

Berretta9
12-24-2008, 07:18
You know there's a UofK joke in there but in the spirit of the season.....

ciwsguy
12-24-2008, 09:26

Glock a Menace? I don't think so. Goes thru metal detectors? NO WAY! The slide and barrel are still metal, bonehead!

Since with ANY gun, if there is a cartridge chambered and the trigger pulled it is intended to go BANG! And it did. No safety? Not true. There are safeties, one the flip trigger on the trigger, and the other the connection between the brain and the trigger finger. The biggest safety is the shooter's brain, which apparently was not engaged or educated enough.

And some people wonder why I don't keep magazines loaded into my pistols. My mags are loaded, but next to the pistol.

Dandapani
12-24-2008, 10:38
not professional enough .... :whistling:

B+Shooter
12-24-2008, 13:26
Glock a Menace? I don't think so. Goes thru metal detectors? NO WAY! The slide and barrel are still metal, bonehead!

Bonehead!?!
Don't you know sarcasm when you read it? Don't be so hostile. I know, a Glock is 22oz, and 21oz of that is the barrel/slide.
:tongueout: