G20 or S&W 460 for Hunting in NE Ohio [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : G20 or S&W 460 for Hunting in NE Ohio

righteoushoot
12-22-2008, 14:25
Did not realize when we moved here no rifle hunting. So, can anyone recommend a setup, i.e. aftermarket barrel, scope mount and scope if necessary for deer hunting for the G20? Trying to figure cost on setup for G20 deer hunting as compared to something like S&W 460 or Super Redhawk type wheelgun. Always see used hand cannons at the stores, but never seen G20 set up for hunting so if anyone has picks as well as info that would be sweet.

357glocker
12-22-2008, 16:29
For a hunting handgun I'd be more inclined to go with the revolver.
What are OH regs on using semi-auto's? Any magazine or barrel length restrictions? Any caliber/energy requirements?

noway
12-22-2008, 17:03
Both would work but here's something else to think about

revolver more accurate
460 gives you the choice of 2 more calibers
energy out of the 460sw mag are about 2x that of a G20
bullet weights are almost 1.6x more heavier than the heaviest 10mm

If you narrow down the choices between them to you could also add a much cheaper option with a redhawk/superblackhawk, or M29/629 in a 44magnum.

Here the guns would be cheaper than a 460SWmag, ammo more easier to obtain and cheaper and then more powerfull then a g20 10mm.

food to think about.

righteoushoot
12-22-2008, 18:22
Thanks for the responses guys. I guess I do have to Look up the regs in terms of ohio requirements for what's Kosher to hunt with in semi-auto pistols, besides 5" or longer barrels, not sure what the Mag. capacity limits are or if they require plugs like shotguns might. My reasoning for including G20 was to serve double duty as HD equipment. Can't see waking up at 3 in the A.M. and controlling multiple 460 shots ( yes I know .45 LC and .454 Casull will go too). I could also in theory CCW the G20, but no way will I ever CC a 29/629 S&W. I owned 1, and as nice as it was, not comfy with 2nd shot placement or double taps.

Do most people use scopes with either G20's or the big wheel guns, or are you seen as an idiot if you go au naturale? Obviously I would practice, and not that I care necessarily what people think, but I suppose the norms are the norms for a reason. I do try to learn from the mistakes of others. What would an experienced handgun hunter say about scope use.

357glocker
12-22-2008, 18:32
I do believe there are optic mounts available for glocks and your reasons for getting the G20 as a multi purpose gun are legit.
For handguns many people do use optics to hunt with. I personally use open sights with all my handguns as the distances are normally what I'm comfortable with using open sights. Entirely yours and regulations choices/mandates.
I'm not an experienced handgun hunter, only have 1 deer kill under my belt and that was with a single shot contender! But I would go with the revolver.

righteoushoot
12-22-2008, 19:10
I do believe there are optic mounts available for glocks and your reasons for getting the G20 as a multi purpose gun are legit.
For handguns many people do use optics to hunt with. I personally use open sights with all my handguns as the distances are normally what I'm comfortable with using open sights. Entirely yours and regulations choices/mandates.
I'm not an experienced handgun hunter, only have 1 deer kill under my belt and that was with a single shot contender! But I would go with the revolver.

Now you got me thinking off in another area. :tempted:
You use the T/C with iron sights??? What's a rig go for sans the scope? They make a 45/70 Gub-ment in the pistolas? Shiite, now I have to research that too.:brickwall: Thanks

357glocker
12-22-2008, 20:17
You can find good used T/C's for pretty cheap and the good thing is you can never get bored with the gun, just change the caliber!
But yes my .30-30 is used with iron sights and deadly accurate.

noway
12-23-2008, 13:30
Now you got me thinking off in another area. :tempted:
You use the T/C with iron sights??? What's a rig go for sans the scope? They make a 45/70 Gub-ment in the pistolas? Shiite, now I have to research that too.:brickwall: Thanks

I have a contender with open sights and from rag rest it groups around 1-2ft at 100yards with 240grain 44mag XTP handloads. I had problems getting the group down and it was quite high until I remove the sights and the bbl assembly, had it duracoat and remount the sights.

btw, I would never try to shot a animal at 100yards with open or optic sights from a handgun. Vafish would have more information on his setup which I believe is optics.

righteoushoot
12-25-2008, 08:50
I have a contender with open sights and from rag rest it groups around 1-2ft at 100yards with 240grain 44mag XTP handloads. I had problems getting the group down and it was quite high until I remove the sights and the bbl assembly, had it duracoat and remount the sights.

btw, I would never try to shot a animal at 100yards with open or optic sights from a handgun. Vafish would have more information on his setup which I believe is optics.

Thanks for the info. I guess what I'm trying to do is avoid selling something to buy hunting handgun setup only to find out that I have to sink more money into expensive optics to even get to the point where I find out it don't work right. And after all this, I still won't have a handgun that can serve double duty as HD. Distance I am talking about hunting/taking shot is probably 50 yards or less, but would have to be determined by a combination of my ability and the capabilities of the handgun. I would never take a shot I am not comfortable with, after all, it's not hippies we hunt, not enough meat. :whistling: I was looking for feedback as to the efficacy of the G20 with say a 6" Bbl. with what would be appropriate adjustable sights for distances within 50 yards, using good full power, hunting specific loads. I think that setup would be my first choice if adequate for deer from a power perspective. Next would come the addition of optics into the equation. I am trying to find out from those more experienced than I whether or not optics would necessary. The extra cost of adding or having to add optics to G20 is what would make me look at options such as S&W 629, 460, ruger and T/C's. Or, do real men handgun hunt with wheelguns?:dunno:

nedrgr21
12-25-2008, 10:26
Here ya go, check out these threas:
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=943839&highlight=glock+deer+hunting

MSgt Dotson
12-26-2008, 08:43
If no rifle hunting allowed, it seems improbable they will allow hunting with hnadguns, truthfully...

Is this possibly a 'shotgun hunting only' state?

But if 'handguns' are legal, then it would be hard indeed to beat a Glock 20 as a compromise hunting/home defense weapon...

But for general purpose deer hunting, an Encore pistol chamered .260 Remington or 7mm-08 should handle things out to 250-300 yards, easily....

noway
12-29-2008, 07:12
my notes from the field:

I 've hunted with handguns now for over 8 years due to most of my areas are non-rifle zones. I never found my glock to be as equal in my wheelguns. Mounting of optic can be expensive and the semi-auto does not have the same trigger feel or performance as any of my wheelguns, hence that's the reason why I've purchased a flat out platform for hunting and in a hunting caliber and mounted optics on it.

In alot of the latest animal that I've killed ( hogs) I found this gun ( glock ) leaving me wanting more.

None I still hunt with an open site G20 and 4.7"bbl, but I have a drawer full of straight wall magnum class cartridges that fits either a 45colt or 44magnum wheel gun or a T/C product ;)

fwiw
Another option if you can find it is a Xp-100. I've passed up on two ocassions these remingtons due to my dislike of remingtons rifles ;) This would make another good suited platform and probably on par or better than a contender/encore excepted for the quick interchange or barrels.

Also savage had their version

duncan
02-01-2009, 00:09
Coming from Dayton, IIRC, in some parts its shotgun only. Check those regs.

AA#5
02-01-2009, 00:13
If you decide on a revolver, I'd get the Ruger in 454 Casull or the Contended. I had a S&W 460 & traded it after getting tired of tightening that damn comp screw every 6 rounds. It would also go out of time often. S&W always repaired under warranty but....ship it to them, wait 4 wks, ship it back....

vafish
02-01-2009, 18:01

Don't know how I missed this last month.

I do the majority of my deer hunting with a TC Contender Super 14 in .44 magnum with a 1.5x TC Scope on it. I've shot over 20 deer with that combination.

Longest shot I've made on a deer was 111 yards, next longest was 90 yards. Rest have been around 50 yards or less.

Even with only a 1.5x scope on the gun I get 3" groups or less with the .44 mag barrel. (sub MOA with the .223 barrel and a 4X scope and proper ammo)

Given the choice of just the G20 or the S+W 460 I'd buy the .460. It's a much more versatile hunting gun.