Don't use Internet Explorer, use Firefox. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Don't use Internet Explorer, use Firefox.

justinsn95
12-23-2008, 13:24
I got to thinking and i figured that it might not have gotten around to all the guys here that you shouldn't use Micro$oft's Internet Explorer, you should use a different web browser called Mozilla Firefox. It is free to download and use. The reason i wanted to post this is because i realize that many of you guys are running on older computers that may be slowing down or just are not what they used to be. Maybe you don't have it in your budget to get a newer one, or maybe you just have no intention on spending the cash for a new one anytime soon. Especially when the one you got works fine, right? Well this is where firefox can help you guys out a little bit. IE (internet explorer) is a resource hog, and firefox is not. That leaves more of your computer's resources to do other things that it might need to be doing, thus speeding up the machine a little bit while you are browsing the web. So what im saying is, just say no to IE, use firefox! :wavey:

Here is a link to the download page, it's completely painless. It pretty much installs itself, you just need to hit the "next" button a couple of times.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

JohnBT
12-23-2008, 17:38
Gee, you mean it'll make my Q9450-system run even faster? Golly gee, I never knew. ;) Actually, the $10/month I spent to upgrade my FiOS connection speed to 20/5 Mbps really helped a lot.

I still compare everything to the old days of running a 300 bit/s modem, so what do I know.

JT

The Pontificator
12-23-2008, 18:29
I think most of us here on GT are hardcore Firefox users...even us Mac owners.

Steve in PA
12-23-2008, 21:59
I don't notice any difference between the two.

Ralff
12-24-2008, 09:41
I've always used IE with no problems.

Then again, I keep my software up to date with patches and I don't go to sites I shouldn't. :whistling:

Patrick Graham
12-24-2008, 09:46
I use both.

noway
12-24-2008, 09:48
Alot of sites are not firefox friendly so it's safe to say you can't make a broad claim of "don't use IE".

btw I use camino which is a FireFox spin off.

CRANKLIN
12-24-2008, 11:45
I'm not really happy with either of them... though I give the edge to firefox. I think Opera is the superior browser as far as W3C compliance goes.

Try checking this page out with all of your browsers...

http://acid2.acidtests.org

You should see a perfect happy face.

Oh, and if you want FAST, run lynx. lol

Eyescream
12-24-2008, 12:14
I use Firefox (Mac, Linux, and PC), Safari, Opera, IE7, IE6, and IE5.5.

I think I got it covered. :supergrin:

dglockster
12-26-2008, 13:23
Firefox is my primary browser. However, I have not seen a speed difference in the initial boot-up. In fact, IE loads much faster than does Firefox.

Dandapani
12-26-2008, 13:45
Firefox is my primary browser. However, I have not seen a speed difference in the initial boot-up. In fact, IE loads much faster than does Firefox.

Because most of IE is already loaded with the operating system :tongueout::rofl::wavey:

denfoote
12-27-2008, 23:13
I gave up on IE7 a long time ago.
So long, in fact, I no longer remember how to use it!!

MB-G26
12-28-2008, 04:59
Since updating to Firefox 3.0.5, I am having a devil of a time with cookies on GT,and on photobucket. It seems that if I manually add the site/domain and chose "accept", FF is for some reason converting that selection to "BLOCK".... :upeyes: It's also taking any manual additions where I type in "www.domainname.com/net/org" whichever and chose "ACCEPT" and converting the setting to "BLOCK".

This is driving me nutz.
I keep having to go in and close the tab with the problematic site, clear the cache, delete the site's already-set cookies (I know, sounds like a contradiction), AND sit and wait forever for the list of cookie 'exceptions' to load (no search feature therein *sigh* ), manually hunt for and locate each and every instance of the problematic site name, and then DELETE it from the list.

About 50% of the time if I thereafter load the problematic site in a tab or window, I'll get 'cookie request notifications' (as I do have that selected in the settings), and if I "accept" sometimes FF seems to turn the entry into BLOCK and sometimes it will include it as ACCEPT.

It's getting a bit maddening......... especially trying to stay logged in to GT.

citori59
12-28-2008, 06:30
we switched to firefox about six months ago when we got broadband service on the advice of our computer guru. very pleased!!!