USN DEP Question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : USN DEP Question

PeterJasonMN
12-23-2008, 22:15
Question for you guys, since our recruiter station seems to be closed this week:

If you enlist under DEP, do you have to make weight at the time you sign up for DEP, or the time you're supposed to ship off to Great Lakes?

chuckman
12-24-2008, 07:51
Both. But if you are overweight, you'll get a body fat measurement via taping. This gets some people off the hook. You'll likely gain some back in boot, too.

PeterJasonMN
12-24-2008, 12:20
Ok. I'd tried to call yesterday but the recruiter was out of the office.

I just graduated from college the other week, so I'm debating now enlistment vs. OCS. After the holiday crush and return season is over (Our USN office is at the mall) I'm going to head up there and talk to the guy. I'm still a fat-body for now, but I'm about four months out from making weight.

uashooter
12-25-2008, 03:03
Good stuff, what rate do you want to be? What community would you want to go into as an officer?

As far as weight... Get in shape! If you're a chronic fatty it will be a thorn in your side for as long as you're in the Navy, so it's important to develop good habits (i.e. eating right, PT'ing regularly).

Good luck either way.

chuckman
12-25-2008, 12:30
What is your height and weight? If you are overweight, google the body fat chart and start taping as you lose weight. You'd be suprised at how 'fat' you can be and be in standards. The magic number is 22%, which is not hard to maintain. When I went to knife-and-fork school it was in Pensacola. PT in the summer is a pain because of the heat and humidity, but still, it was not that bad. I have heard that after a hurricane a couple of years ago, OCS is in Rhode Island now.

As far as enlisted vs OCS, just do the 12-week suck, OCS. Boot camp is pretty easy, and I was enlisted prior to becoming an officer, but once you are enlisted, the opportunities to become an officer become fewer. Boot camp is Great Lakes, just north of Chicago. I did that in the winter and froze my a-- off. Of the two, OCS is harder, but not like crazy-hard.

sappy13
12-25-2008, 19:04
Why would you not go OCS since you have a degree? I have lived on bases for half my life growing up and officers have it much better. The only reason i can see to go enlisted over ocs is if you are trying to do something like navy seals, since officers only get 1 chance at buds unless medically rolled back, where enlisted get multiple shots. Since you said you are already overweight then i know you arent going seals, so defenently go ocs. It will be worth it in the long run.

PeterJasonMN
12-25-2008, 21:09
Good stuff, what rate do you want to be? What community would you want to go into as an officer?

As far as weight... Get in shape! If you're a chronic fatty it will be a thorn in your side for as long as you're in the Navy, so it's important to develop good habits (i.e. eating right, PT'ing regularly).

Good luck either way.

I was the fat kid, then was lean as two mother****ers from 12-20. So far I've dropped just under 80 pounds this year.

....*big post I didn't want to do a full RWQ of*.....

If I did my math right, I'm 8% over on the BCA or whatever that was called. As said, I've lost 80 this year, but my cardio is ****, and I'd want to get back down to at most 190 to make pushups and such easier. I've always sucked at those, so any advantage is better than nothing. Plus running at 180 is a lot better on the knees than my current weight.

Are the swims in a pool or open water? Even in my best shape, that's something I would have to practice bigtime if I were to do this.

Dean
12-25-2008, 21:50
I just graduated from college the other week, so I'm debating now enlistment vs. OCS.

Do you want to be a commissioned officer? Then don't enlist.
Apply for OCS. If you flunk out or are not accepted, THEN you can always enlist. :drillsgt:

chuckman
12-26-2008, 07:08
Your weight does not matter from the perspective of standards. It's all about body fat. If you are 22% or less, you will be good to go, from the standards-perspective. You are right, though, and I echo...be in as best shape as you can be, with the best weight possible.

You can google the Navy's PRT standards (Physical Readiness Test...but that name gets changed every few years). Nothing at boot camp will be any more difficult that the PRT. OCS is a different animal...same exercises, just a hell of a lot more of them. What is your age? The PRT is age-adjusted. If you can knock out 70-85 push-ups in 2 minutes, you are golden.

As far as swimming, all you need to do is the Navy's thrid class swim test. You can google that, too. If you can swim, at all, you can pass this test. It is all in a pool.

One of the key questions is this: what do you want to do? As the previous posted said, fitness for SEALs is different than what you need to do as, say, a boat-driver or bubblehead (subs). BTW, officers can get >1 shot at BUDS.

PeterJasonMN
12-26-2008, 19:08
I'm still looking at navyjobs.com.

The thing I've noticed there is you'll see allllllll these enlisted jobs, but nothing seems to transfer over for the officer side (law enforcement for example). It's like "Ok, so who commands those people then?" But anyways.

chuckman, while my weight might not matter to them, it matters to ME, since like I said, pushups for me at 170-180 are a LOT easier than at 230 (which I'm still not even close to at the moment).

I read a lot of that stuff last night off the OCS forums website. The only thing I didn't like about that place was at least from what I saw, no FAQ area that had a listing of different acronyms. I had no clue what some of that stuff they were talking about was.

chuckman
12-27-2008, 07:17
I'm still looking at navyjobs.com.

The thing I've noticed there is you'll see allllllll these enlisted jobs, but nothing seems to transfer over for the officer side (law enforcement for example). It's like "Ok, so who commands those people then?" But anyways.

chuckman, while my weight might not matter to them, it matters to ME, since like I said, pushups for me at 170-180 are a LOT easier than at 230 (which I'm still not even close to at the moment).

Very little 'transfers' over. Outside of spec war, not much technical crossover in the skill set. Officers are not the doers, they are the leaders. There are warrant officers, who had been enlisted and were then warranted because of their technical expertise. To get there, though, you'd be enlisted probably 8-12 years first.

As to the last point, understandable. My point is not to forget about weight, but rather the Navy's targets are moveable. As you keep losing weight, your body fat % will drop, too. Keep working on it. And, like I said, this will impact you more for OCS than boot.

uashooter
01-06-2009, 23:54

Wow, bringing this thread back from the dead...

As chuckman said, officers are leaders. The ability to successfully manage and lead a team doesn't necessarily hinge on your experience with what they do (though that's generally how it works in the civilian world). Being an officer doesn't transfer directly into any trade crafts (electrician, cook, fire fighter, police officer, mechanic, etc), but it really pads your resume for managerial and executive positions in the private sector.

You've got to figure out what you want to do when you get out, and then how you can set yourself up for that while serving your country.

Good luck! Please post any questions you've got along the way.

EDIT: Read that quote again and noticed you mentioned LE. I don't know a ton about MA's and I'm sure they get to do some cool stuff...BUT, being a MA is not exactly (usually not nearly) the same as being a patrol cop. They do a lot of sentry work, supervising working parties, etc. Do plenty of research- choose your rate, choose your fate.

PeterJasonMN
01-07-2009, 05:28
We have two recruiting stations here in town. Army has one, and USAF/USN/USMC share the other. I was going to go up there today and bounce some questions off both the USAF and USN guys, but of course I get the worst case of insomnia I've had in years.