Good gun shop/range in Boca Raton area? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Good gun shop/range in Boca Raton area?

rkrk
12-26-2008, 05:54
Down here now and looking for a place to shop/shoot.

Thanks

ScaryWoody
12-26-2008, 08:31
Last time down to that area I visited Arizona Shooting Range Guns and Knives 4325 N State Road 7 Fort Lauderdale, FL . I didn't shoot there just browsed but it looked real nice.

Ahmid
12-26-2008, 09:16
Forget about Palm Beach County.
I have read some of the best ranges are in Broward County.
Can't help with names or locations.

MattS67
12-26-2008, 09:38
Shop at the gun show, shoot at Markham Park.

New2GT
12-26-2008, 10:29
Ha, I'm in S FL now too visiting my parents for the holidays, and was looking for a place.

Not real close to Boca, but Markham park has an outdoor range. I do not know if you need to be a member or anything. http://www.broward.org/parks/range.htm

+1 on Broward over Palm Beach County. I only shot in PB County once, but when I did I was told that there is a county law that required us to purchase our ammo at the range. I don't know if this is actually a law or just a BS rule at that particular range (they claimed it was the law), but needless to say it ended up being a much more expensive trip because their prices were ridiculous compared to what I normally get online or at Walmart (they wanted $15 for 50rd of 9mm FMJ, and a whopping $32 for 50 rd of .357sig FMJ ... I can normally get a box of speer gold dots or winchester rangers for $25 to put that in perspective). I was pretty pissed as I had to hand my range bag full of cheap ammo to be held behind the counter while my friends and I had to buy boxes at their ridiculous prices (we only shot 9mm that day, didn't bother with the .357sig at those prices).

passive101
12-26-2008, 10:38
Last time down to that area I visited Arizona Shooting Range Guns and Knives 4325 N State Road 7 Fort Lauderdale, FL . I didn't shoot there just browsed but it looked real nice.

This is where I shoot. You can also rent full autos to shoot here as well :wavey:

m41lover
12-26-2008, 11:28
There is no law in Palm Beach Co. requiring you use only ammo bought from them - the ranges use a variety of reasons, all specious, to justify their desire to make more profit. As a business, that is their right - I don't have a problem with it as I also have the right to choose to give them my business - what is wrong is lying about the reason for the rule ...

rappa29
12-26-2008, 12:42
Regarding the 'county law', as stated above, that 'law' is a bunch of bovine feces!

I used to frequent those places in PB when I lived there and it wasn't like that then. I used to bring my ammo can full of WWB and they were perfectly fine with it. Of course that was 4 years ago when WWB was $10/100rds.

IIRC, the owner did mention to me once that they were getting killed by WalMart and might have to start enforcing 'house ammo' rules. I guess I'm lucky I moved since I've read the disdain for those PB shops\ranges recently.

That stinks it's like that now because the owner of the one shop seemed like a nice guy. I bought 2 guns there back in the day.

rkrk
12-26-2008, 18:28
for the responses so far

rk

pearldrummerelx
12-27-2008, 21:14
I'd have to give a "+1" for broward over palm beach. I live in Lake Worth, work in Boca, shoot in Pompano at Revere Gun Range. It's off Copans, east of 95, in a warehouse district. It's not the cleanest or best maintained range, but it's a place to put rounds down range and it's 10 bucks a person. Fairly cheap.

I've never been to Markham because I've heard bad things. Some friends (most involved in LE whether LEO or Dispatcher) have told me it's annoying to shoot there because the ROs tend to watch over your shoulder and correct you. They've complained they don't feel like they can relax and shoot. I've gone shooting with them at Revere, and never have I felt threatened by anything they have done or deemed anything to be unsafe to be doing with a gun in hand.

Personal opinion...not from personal experience, but I trust those who have given me those opinions. I might eventually take a trip to Markham, but will not travel so far south to do it unless I'm already down there.

Ahmid
12-28-2008, 07:02
When I lived in Sunrise I used to shoot at a gun range called Anthony's.
It was always a pleasant place to shoot, no one bothered you. I was always able to shoot my reloads and policed my own brass. No one mentioned Anthony's is it still open in Broward.