New build....success! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New build....success!

MyGlockRocks19
12-26-2008, 18:28
I know this isn't really a tech question, more along the lines of a story, but hey...this is Tech Talk, right? We can just talk about techie stuff without having to fry a hard drive first.

I completed my new build! Well, for the most part anyway, there are still some peripherals I want to get, but its up and running....and WHOA is it fast compared to what I had before! This is the first time I can recall that everything went right while dealing with a computer....parts arrived on time, installation went smoothly, and when I pressed the power button the board posted and booted right up the first time. No playing with jumpers or re-arranging the front panel connectors at all!

For those of you interested, the old hardware....

Intel P4 @ 2.4 GHz, Intel i815 motherboard, 1 gig DDR 266MHz RAM, Nvidia Ti300 64meg AGP 4x video card.

The new?

AMD Athlon64 X2 @ 2.7 GHz, ECS A78OGM-A motherboard (with PCI-E 2.0, RAID support, and hybrid Crossfire) 2 gigs of DDR2 800 MHz dual channel RAM

And the onboard ATI 3400 graphics chipset blows my old video card out of the water. I can't wait until I get a PCI-E card and see what THAT can do.

Sorry, I know, I've run on. But I'm just so pleased with how well this went, I had to spill it.

IndyGunFreak
12-26-2008, 18:43
Good job!

IGF

Razrbk444
12-26-2008, 21:34
Congrats on your success! If you like to game, a quality video card will rock. What operating system are you using?

MyGlockRocks19
12-26-2008, 22:21
XP Home, for the minute. I've been quibbling over upgrading to Vista. I keep hearing horror stories of gluttonous system resource consumption and driver/software incompatibilities...I might just wait and see what Microsoft does next before I jump.

XP gets the job done, and everything I own, software or hardware, plays well it with. I'll probably put off changing OS's until I have to.

I forgot to mention...one of the great things about this mobo is when I've got the cash for a Phenom FX, I can slap one in and be good to go. I did a WHOLE lot of reading specifications when I went shopping. This ones got very decent upgrade potential.

Sgt. Schultz
12-27-2008, 07:24
XP Home, for the minute. I've been quibbling over upgrading to Vista. You need to double the amount of RAM in your build for Vista.

Mystic316
12-27-2008, 07:45
You need to double the amount of RAM in your build for Vista.
It certainly couldn't hurt, but not really a necessity.

Neo31rex31
12-27-2008, 12:53
nice build dude, double the ram and tweek the settings to "Best Performance" also, go to Start->run->type in "Msconfig" then go to "Boot" -> click on Advanced options -> change the number of processors to "2" then restart. It will shorten your bootup time

m2hmghb
12-27-2008, 13:58
Not bad. I plan on building a new one around July, the new I7 chips are too tasty to resist. The one I have currently is an AMDX2 5000 Black Box overclocked to 3.25 ghz, Raptor 74 gig 10k hd, GTX260 video card, and 4 gigs DDR2 800mhz. I would look at the GTX260 or ATI 4870 if I were you.

MyGlockRocks19
12-28-2008, 03:51
A new video card is in the works, as is a SATA HD. I'm kind of wondering which I should go with first....the video card will definitely boost gaming performance, but wouldn't the higher transfer rates on the hard drive have a more overall effect on system performance?

I'm still running my old IDE HD for the moment.

I'm kind of inclined towards Nvidia cards, but I'm running an AMD board. Is there any benefit in staying with ATI/AMD products given the hardware I'm already running, or will there be no effect either way?