XP rant & where to get Paint download? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : XP rant & where to get Paint download?

cassandra
12-27-2008, 12:15
That "clean up unused icons" utility kept popping up in Win XP so I finally took them up on it, checked off the icons I didn't want, and voila it got rid of the PROGRAMS I did want!

One of them was Paint, which I use all the time for screen shots. Not only did the icon go away, so did the program. I can't find it anywhere. I went to Microsoft and tried to find a free download but searching pulls up nothing.

What gives with XP and how can I get Paint back?

g29andy
12-27-2008, 12:30
can you still find Paint in Start>All Programs>Accessories>Paint?

If so, you can create a shortcut to the desktop.

Otherwise, http://download.microsoft.com/download/winntwks40/paint/1/nt4/en-us/paintnt.exe

jilverthor
12-30-2008, 19:41
I have seen a few computers that had the shortcut to paint disappear. The easiest method I know of checking to see if the problem extends any further is to go to Start, Run, and type in mspaint. If it is still installed, it should open just fine.

Sgt. Schultz
12-30-2008, 19:50
You can disable Automatic Desktop Cleanup ...

Right-click a blank spot on the desktop, and then click Properties, this will open the Display Properties dialog box.
Click the Desktop tab.
Click Customize desktop to open the Desktop Items dialog box.
Click to clear the Run Desktop Cleanup Wizard every 60 days check box.
Click OK twice to close the dialog boxes.

Big Al 24
01-01-2009, 18:34
You can also download Paint.net.

Jai9100
01-01-2009, 21:18
The best thing is when I gave up on windows completely on april of 2006 and started using Mac OS. Just saying, I know some people can't give up windows, but do some research. I have to use Windows at work, but at least I can go home and browse Glock Talk with out IE crashing every 20 min.

PoiDog
01-16-2009, 11:46
The best thing is when I gave up on windows completely on april of 2006 and started using Mac OS. Just saying, I know some people can't give up windows, but do some research. I have to use Windows at work, but at least I can go home and browse Glock Talk with out IE crashing every 20 min.

That's not Windows crashing, it's IE. Hardly anybody uses IE if they don't have to use it.

Opera and Firefox is where it's at. I keep IE on the machine only for dealing with Microsoft. Somehow, Microsoft manages to mess up software downloads unless you're using IE. Imagine that.

It's not always true, but it is more often than not.