Thunderbird help [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Thunderbird help

Patricia
12-27-2008, 21:44
After getting extremely frustrated with Thunderbird's Forum, I thought I see if anyone has extensive experience with Thunderbird.

I have been using Thunderbird successfully for a couple of years. However, I have not received email through Thunderbird in the last couple of days. My email is coming through just fine on my internet providers webmail service however. I am using Windows Vista, and have not made any changes to settings. Vista did an update on the 25th (I have since changed the setting so that it won't do those automatically anymore), and that is when the problem started. A couple of other people posted the same problem, starting on the same day.

Any ideas? I'm sure the folks on the T-bird forum are trying to be helpful, but they keep asking me the same questions, and really don't seem to know much more about it than I do.

Neo31rex31
12-28-2008, 01:03
Do you run T-Bird portable (ie flash drive) or on your machine? Are you running any firewalls at all?

Blitzer
12-28-2008, 01:44
You may have to update Thunderbird to fix the problems.

Patricia
12-28-2008, 10:10
Do you run T-Bird portable (ie flash drive) or on your machine? Are you running any firewalls at all?

No flash, and I have now turned off the firewall, and this windows defender, and still no go.

This is frustrating. I'd rather not uninstall and reinstall Thunderbird, but I am beginning to think that is my only choice. I am also really disappointed in the Thunderbird support forum. I have gone there before and have received great help and answers, but this time I feel like no one is listening to my description, and only asking me questions that someone would ask of a computer beginner.

Nicky D
12-28-2008, 11:01
I have comcast as my provider and I had some problems last week that resolved themselves. I could look at my mail on cc website but nothing would download to thunderbird. I left it alone as this was not the first time it has happened. I know this doesn't help with your problem.

What about doing a system point restore. Restore at the point where your system was working and see if this fixes the problem.

Patricia
12-28-2008, 11:28
I have comcast as my provider and I had some problems last week that resolved themselves. I could look at my mail on cc website but nothing would download to thunderbird. I left it alone as this was not the first time it has happened. I know this doesn't help with your problem.

What about doing a system point restore. Restore at the point where your system was working and see if this fixes the problem.

Just did the restore, and still no go. :sigh:

d3athp3nguin
12-28-2008, 11:28
Sigh... Vista updates... I think there is a rule among microsoft's staff that any and all updates must break as many features as they fix.

I would say reinstall Thunderbird. You shouldn't lose any mail settings if you just reinstall Tbird over itself. NickyD's suggestion of reverting back to a point before the updates wouldn't hurt either... I'd say reinstall Tbird first though.

Patricia
12-28-2008, 11:31
Reinstalled Thunderbird also, still no go.

I am thinking I'll just have to get used to using my IPS's webmail.

Neo31rex31
12-28-2008, 11:46
Do you have the correct ports open that are associated with T-Bird

Patricia
12-28-2008, 16:21
I figured it out (with some help from Eric). Did the restore, but had to unplug my internet connection or the update went automatically again (restore made update automatic again). Deleted Thunderbird files then reinstalled.

MDBULLET
12-29-2008, 21:19
I fell into the VISTA craze when it first came out,,, after 6 months I got rid of it. I dont know what I am going to use once XP goes by the wayside!

JMag
12-29-2008, 21:24
I fell into the VISTA craze when it first came out,,, after 6 months I got rid of it. I dont know what I am going to use once XP goes by the wayside!

Windows 7 anyone???

:wavey::supergrin:

ki4dmh
12-29-2008, 21:32
I have used Vista since it first came out with no issues what so ever. I also use firefox and thunderbird. Sometimes I will use opera but for the most part mozilla products.

MDBULLET
12-29-2008, 21:54
I have used Vista since it first came out with no issues what so ever. I also use firefox and thunderbird. Sometimes I will use opera but for the most part mozilla products.

the only real issue I had with Vista was the resources it used just setting at an idle. And that anoying message you always got when you wanted to download something, " Are you sure you want to do that " As far as security with spyware, I sure got a lot less of it with Vista, but to me the OS as a whole was kinda slow,,, but that was just me,, and well heck,, that might just be me!!! lolololol. Dave

ki4dmh
12-29-2008, 21:59
the only real issue I had with Vista was the resources it used just setting at an idle. And that anoying message you always got when you wanted to download something, " Are you sure you want to do that " As far as security with spyware, I sure got a lot less of it with Vista, but to me the OS as a whole was kinda slow,,, but that was just me,, and well heck,, that might just be me!!! lolololol. Dave
No you are right. Vista is in most configurations a slow os. Once you add memory and tweak the os it seems to help that though.