what time of day is best to hunt deer? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : what time of day is best to hunt deer?

plainsman
12-27-2008, 21:40
I have hunted from 1/2 hour before sunrise to about 9am and from 3 pm to dark. Is there any other times that is good to hunt deer?

PISTOLHUNTER
12-28-2008, 00:24
Hunting by the moon phase has worked best for me. My gps has this feature and it shows the good and best times for each day.

kirgi08
12-28-2008, 00:32
Run the same cycles them there critters do.'08.

vafish
12-28-2008, 18:21
The mornings and evenings are the best time to see them,

But honestly the deer are in the woods, not back at the cabin taking a nap. If you want to kill deer you have to spend time in the woods. I've bounced plenty of deer up out of their beds sneaking around in the middle of the day. If you coordinate your movements with a couple other hunters you usually end up bouncing them past each other.

If you are hunting on public land, hunting during the times that other hunters are coming and going will get deer chased past you as well. So if the other hunters are doing what you have been doing, leaving the woods at 9 AM and coming back at 3 PM, then staying in to woods until 10:30 AM and being back out there at 2 PM may produce some results too.

But I prefer to pack my lunch with me, be in my stand before the sun comes up and not come back to camp until it's dark. (unless I get a deer first.)

93GT
12-28-2008, 18:37
They may act different during hunting season. I have had the best luck by scouting when they move through the area I am hunting and getting in the woods early on opening day. After that you just have to spend time in the woods like the poster above stated.

noway
12-29-2008, 00:44
Most of my deer killed have been after 08:00 and before 11:30. It all depends on alot of factors;

weather
pressure
etc...

duncan
12-30-2008, 22:00
Hunting by the moon phase has worked best for me. My gps has this feature and it shows the good and best times for each day.

Ding ding ding.
Full moon phase.

vafish
12-31-2008, 07:35
Ding ding ding.
Full moon phase.

While moon phase definitely affects the movements of animals, and I pay attention to it, I wouldn't leave the field just because my GPS said it wasn't a good time to hunt. Lots of other things effect the movement of deer too.

If you have a limited amount of time that you can hunt focusing on the moon phase can help. But if you got all day, stay in the woods all day.

alwaysshootin
12-31-2008, 10:12
Something I have learned over the years, is hunting pressure can make deer move throughout the day, so as mentioned, if you can be out dawn till dusk do so. I will tell you this, and my experience has worked twice this year. Midday, in the winter months, and I got one at 1 PM, opening day gun season. Just the other day, the third day of muzzle loader here in Ohio, my son saw 14 deer feeding at 2 PM, and shot a perfect doe for the freezer. Have no idea the moon phase, just know this time of year, see a ton of deer during the midday hours. Not saying they weren't moving at first light, wouldn't know, but can say for certain, they were moving between noon ant 3 PM.

RJ Schuknecht
12-31-2008, 15:37
If I have all day to hunt, then I hunt all day. If I was going to quit at 9:00am, I wouldn't even bother going out. When I am only going for a morning hunt, I still like to stay on stand until 10:30.

CanyonMan
01-01-2009, 08:49
As some have already said.... earlyam and late pm et. I agree.

But, I have taken probably more deer, during the hours of 10:30A-3:00P, while some love sick buck was checking a scrape, or simply sniffin the wind and milling around lookin for love. Don't discount the 'high noon type' hours. Stay out there and be patient. You don't have to sit in one spot all day. No rules in stone here. But most guys go in after 10/11:00am, and miss out on mr big. He's still out there ya know, even after you go in. ;)

Good hunting to ya .

CanyonMan

noway
01-01-2009, 21:49
As some have already said.... earlyam and late pm et. I agree.

But, I have taken probably more deer, during the hours of 10:30A-3:00P, while some love sick buck was checking a scrape, or simply sniffin the wind and milling around lookin for love. Don't discount the 'high noon type' hours. Stay out there and be patient. You don't have to sit in one spot all day. No rules in stone here. But most guys go in after 10/11:00am, and miss out on mr big. He's still out there ya know, even after you go in. ;)

Good hunting to ya .

CanyonMan

LOL on that line

CanyonMan
01-03-2009, 17:45
lol on that line

;)

cm

Rockjock
01-04-2009, 21:21
I also think 1/2 hour before sun rise is too late....I would be in a least a hour before first light.

aimatdeer
01-11-2009, 06:42
the best time to hunt deer is whenever you can go. i usually take 2 or 3 per year and have killed bucks and does in wind, rain, heat, different moon phases, ideal conditions etc, etc, etc. deer are individuals like people, dogs ... some are smarter than others. deer move for countless reasons and there are too many scenarios to try and figure it all out. deer have habits or tendancies and some can be patterned to some extent but nothing is for sure everyday. the big ticket is to be in the woods and not home.

noway
01-11-2009, 20:13
the best time to hunt deer is whenever you can go. i usually take 2 or 3 per year and have killed bucks and does in wind, rain, heat, different moon phases, ideal conditions etc, etc, etc. deer are individuals like people, dogs ... some are smarter than others. deer move for countless reasons and there are too many scenarios to try and figure it all out. deer have habits or tendancies and some can be patterned to some extent but nothing is for sure everyday. the big ticket is to be in the woods and not home.

ditto on all counts

Peace Warrior
01-14-2009, 00:46
If work is only letting you be a weekend warrior... go early and stay out.

I like to be set up by 5AM and sit for sunrise. I use a small flash light with a red filter EXTREMELY SPARINGLY when going to "my" spot in the morning. The ones coming in at or near sunrise will move a lot of deer around. if you are set up and waiting, you have the best chance of getting one of these deer.

like others have basically stated I wholeheartedly agree with, "the longer (i.e. more time) you spend in the woods overall, the more successful you will be."

Steve 48
02-06-2009, 10:28
Early morning or late evenings in Kansas. I prefer the late evenings. I see more and have killed 99% of my deer then.

1glock
02-07-2009, 22:27
My best times are later morning (9:00-10:00AM).
I thinks its because a lot of early morning hunters are going out and moving the deers around.

Poppa Bear
02-07-2009, 22:49
Some of my best hunting areas have water available along with decent cover. In the early morning hours they are in the fields feeding. A bit after sunrise they start to move towards their daytime bedding areas located around the ponds or in the wooded areas above the water.

I just wait for the other hunters to push them out of the fields or out of their bedding areas as they start driving the treelines in the midday, or as they leave the field to head back into town for a cup of coffee or a midday nap.

smokeyaz
02-17-2009, 22:59
The best way to figure this out is to scout your area as much as possible. If you can get out a few times just before the season opens you will get a pretty good idea of feeding times and travel patterns. This is extremely important for archery as you need to be alot closer to the game to get a good shot.

noway
02-17-2009, 23:54
The best way to figure this out is to scout your area as much as possible. If you can get out a few times just before the season opens you will get a pretty good idea of feeding times and travel patterns. This is extremely important for archery as you need to be alot closer to the game to get a good shot.

best advice given so far imho.

Also remember the following items effects deer behavior and YMMV

winds
hunting pressure
available food
available water
cold fronts
heat fronts
thunderstorms
activities of other animals

So nothing set in stone as to "best" time since alot of factors influence what a deer does or not do. Remember he/she is trying not to get shot or eaten ;)

dsmw5142
02-20-2009, 20:21
I have hunted from 1/2 hour before sunrise to about 9am and from 3 pm to dark. Is there any other times that is good to hunt deer?

I usually stick most of my deer and hogs while you and everyone else are back at the camp having lunch. Seriously, if you hunt public land like I do, the deer get to know the times when humans leave the woods. Some of them probably get kicked up and pushed to me also I'm sure.

Good luck.

pps_dad
02-21-2009, 18:45
I would suggest buying a good scouting camera if you hunt private land. You would be amazed what you can learn with one of these out in the woods.

smokeyaz
02-21-2009, 18:52
I promise you spending plenty of time scouting your unit will payoff many times over. Plus you get to enjoy the time out and learn alot about the area. Everyone on here has given great advice but every application is different and you need to figure out the patterns of the game in YOUR unit. I enjoy scouting just as much as the actual hunt, I find new things every time I go and find it extremely rewarding...

Armchair Commando
02-28-2009, 16:42
I have hunted from 1/2 hour before sunrise to about 9am and from 3 pm to dark. Is there any other times that is good to hunt deer? I'm usually in my stand by 4 AM, And i have bagged all of my Bucks between 9AM-1115AM. Scouting is the single most important part of Deer Hunting.