how do you get rid of that lump from chigger bites [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : how do you get rid of that lump from chigger bites

plainsman
12-27-2008, 22:55
I have tried a chigger lotion, soaking in epsom salt, even poked one with a sterilized needle, and the lump seems to last going on a few weeks. I have even kept a bandage with neo sporen and the chigger remedy on it. I have read chigger websites,and I have seen no effective remedy.

Javelin
12-27-2008, 23:26
I have tried a chigger lotion, soaking in epsom salt, even poked one with a sterilized needle, and the lump seems to last going on a few weeks. I have even kept a bandage with neo sporen and the chigger remedy on it. I have read chigger websites,and I have seen no effective remedy.

The only effective way I have seen a chigger be removed and the bump go away quickly is to not place anything on there that kills it but to place a small dot of clear nail polish over the bump. I guess the sucker leaves or whatever and the bump is gone within days.

:wavey:

Esox357
12-28-2008, 12:54
I thought the nail polish kills them by suffocating them? The bump is because they are alive? I could be wrong but that is what I remember being told? Esox357.

Blitzer
12-28-2008, 14:14
When I was a kid we used Ammonia.

An aside: I must stink to high heaven, take a lot of different meds now, as I haven't had a chigger bite in years!

vafish
12-28-2008, 19:17
I thought the nail polish kills them by suffocating them? The bump is because they are alive? I could be wrong but that is what I remember being told? Esox357.

Common misconception.

The Chigger does not stay inside of you. It bites near a hair follicle, the blister and itching is an allergic reaction to the chigger saliva.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2100.html

noway
12-29-2008, 01:48
ditto on ammonia. If you look at most active ingredients in bite relief nine out of ten times it's ammonia.

winchester62
12-30-2008, 16:46
Just time.... Vafish is right. Read the link. A few valium and a couple shots of whiskey could help too. You could sleep for four days until the itching goes away.

Next time, before you go, put some sulpher on your legs from the bottom to the top. You can get bags of it at the feed store and put some in an old sock to shake out through the sock. They'll stay off you if you stink like sulpher. Just remember to wash the clothes separate because the smell will get in all the other clothes too if you don't. I f-ing hate chiggers. I got over 300 bites one time. I called in sick to work for two days. Then I studied up to prevent future problems...